Do you ever . . .

37 minutes ago, TerraViators said:

Do you ever see a cemetery on a television show or movie, make out a name on a marker, search for the name in Find A Grave, locate the cemetery based on the set location and look for geocaches in the cemetery?  I do.

Nope. In my experience, most cemetery caches aren't in the cemetery anyway.

However, my region is a popular filming location for many TV shows and movies, so I see recognizable local locations somewhat often. As far as caching-related, there was once a cache that actually made it into the background of a made-for-TV movie behind David James Elliott (from JAG). It was a piece of wood filling a large hole in an oak tree, and it was clearly visible in the shot. Non-caching-related, Hatley Castle is a frequently-used local location that can be seen in X-Men 2, X-Men: The Last Stand, Deadpool (and upcoming Deadpool 2), Smallville, and lots of other TV shows and movies. The Fox mini-series Gracepoint was filmed all over town and I had a great time picking out all the locations. There are caches hidden at many of those spots.

Surprised to learn cemeteries are hiding spots. But once you think about it, they don't have that many people poking around, so it makes sense. There are quite a number of caches in cemeteries in this area. And they all seem to be in good to excellent shape.

Edited by garyo1954

We often see, on British TV crime/detective shows, bodies being fished out of or crimes committed near canals and also lifestyle shows featuring canals. We have travelled to UK four times so far to cruise canals in narrowboats and a few times we have seen places we have recognised on the abovementioned TV shows.

Have you ever hid a Geocache in a pond or water? 

We have one, to be nice it's on a cable and the weight on the tube or preform is a plumbers putty.  We thought this over a very long time.  One thing is we used a putty that is potable, why? we did not want to poison the pond, no fish but tadpoles and other amphibians live there. The log is a plastic paper it's worked so far. But I like to hear about other water hides.

PS we love find a gave and will have to do the look up next grave we see on TV. We do photos for find a grave.   :)

27 minutes ago, pscwmoms said:

We have one, to be nice it's on a cable and the weight on the tube or preform is a plumbers putty.  We thought this over a very long time.  One thing is we used a putty that is potable, why? we did not want to poison the pond, no fish but tadpoles and other amphibians live there. The log is a plastic paper it's worked so far. But I like to hear about other water hides.

One of my puzzles has a physical waypoint that's floating in a pond and tethered to an overhanging tree branch with fishing line. It's a plastic horse (part of the puzzle's theme) epoxied into a clear plastic base with a laminated card on the underside showing the coordinates of the final (which is on dry land). In spite of this pond being way out in the middle of nowhere in a bushland reserve, the horse was recently muggled. I have a new one under construction and plan to put it out after the upcoming school holidays.

20161019_101136_small.jpg

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, pscwmoms said:

PS we love find a gave and will have to do the look up next grave we see on TV. We do photos for find a grave.   :)

We had one in a pond which has a wall on the one side. the Cache ws hidden inside one of the little cavities in the wall. It got muggled a few times, I don't know if it floated up or if some of the local kindergarden children found it whilst looking for amphibians in the pond. Eventually we archived it as it was gone too often and we had concerns wether the amphibians were disturbed or not.

When I visited Iceland I targeted a few caches that highlighted sites used in films. There's a series there all around the island for that.  It's a great idea (and Iceland's variety of environments and geology is a big draw for onsite background footage).

I do sometimes wonder though, watching a movie or tv show, if there's a scene in a park or on a trail, say, if there was a geocache hidden right there and they didn't know about it :)

• Upvote 1
On 24/03/2018 at 6:00 AM, TerraViators said:

Do you ever see a cemetery on a television show or movie, make out a name on a marker, search for the name in Find A Grave, locate the cemetery based on the set location and look for geocaches in the cemetery?  I do.

Only if there's a cache there!

This might be exactly what you're taking about. 

Aurora, TX cemetery is the site of a UFO crash and possible alien body from back in 1890's.  Location is N-NW of the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex.  It has a geocache in it GC10TM6 Final Rest Stop Aurora and has been featured in plenty of news articles and videos.  Here is just a list of videos and news articles:

History Channel 2005 UFO Files

YouTube Documentary

YouTube Marker reward

Wikipedia Entry

Ft Worth Star Telegram

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 0:16 PM, dcmcveigh said:

Aurora, TX cemetery is the site of a UFO crash and possible alien body from back in 1890's.  Location is N-NW of the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex.  It has a geocache in it GC10TM6 Final Rest Stop Aurora 

Yes, that's exactly it.  Thank you.  I've not visited this geocache but have heard the story numerous times.

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:00 PM, TerraViators said:

I did just recently.  Was driving from here to there, remembered someone famous was from Jasper, AL.  it was George "Goober" Lindsey.  Pulled up geocaching to see if there was a cache in the cemetery, alas there was not, but did see his gravesite.