WooooHooooooo

Back in 2001 me and Mrs. PISA visited Las Vegas for a few days and we also made a day-trip to the Hoover Dam. We took a bunch of photos, but at that time we didn't know anything about Waymarking and Geocaching. I made a slideshow for my colleagues, but didn't include the photos of the Hoover Dam. Years later when I started to log waymark visits with the photos of our vacations, I couldn't find the original photos of that trip. All I found was the photos of the slideshow. :-(

A few days ago, I was searching again for the photos of Las Vegas and suddenly I found a directory in the endless space of our harddisk that also included photos of the Hoover Dam. "Oh, great!" I thought, "now I can log some more waymarks in the USA". But, I was completely surprised about the fact that these few photos allowed me to log visits in categories that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to log:

U.S. Benchmarks: GR1860 A I -- Hoover Dam, AZ
Smithsonian Art Inventory Sculptures: Winged Figures of the Republic - NV
Ansel Adams Photo Hunt: Hoover Dam - Boulder City, NV

plus some waymarks in harder to find categories like "Border Crossings", "Monopoly in the Real World" etc.

For a second I was sad that I missed some other categories like "Nevada Historical Markers", "E Clampus Vitus Historical Markers", "Arizona Historical Markers" etc., but that second is long gone and for next couple of days I will dance the WDOJ (Waymarking Dance Of Joy). :-)

Wish you all a great day like this one was for me.

• Upvote 2

This is great! I have visit logs for a lot of places where I took pictures long ago, but there are probably more that have not been waymarked yet and I wait for someone to post them. I hesitate to post them myself, because I have no idea how it looks like there, twenty years or so later.

It's interesting what categories are considered hard to find. My area is full of border crossings, it's a metropolitan area in three countries and four states of one of them, the tramway line fifty meters from my home crosses two national and six state borders on a length of about 35 kilometers, just as an example. But there are quite a lot of categories I still miss, that are seen as overprevalent and mundane somewhere else.

I have the same problem with older photos. Either I don't have enough for a waymark or I'm afraid that the object is gone. Therefore I try to concentrate on This Old Church waymarks. Those are hardly removed. :-)

About Border Crossings: Well, it's not that we don't have any borders here in Austria, but there aren't that many waymarks in that category that I could visit and usually I don't visit my own waymarks, so I was lucky to have visited one Border Crossing in Vatican, two in Berlin and now one in the USA. That's quite rare compared to other categories. Additionally, we don't travel by car (with minor exceptions). Most of the time we either take a train or plane, which makes it hard to stop at the border for taking some photos. :-)

18 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

Back in 2001 me and Mrs. PISA visited Las Vegas for a few days and we also made a day-trip to the Hoover Dam. We took a bunch of photos, but at that time we didn't know anything about Waymarking and Geocaching. I made a slideshow for my colleagues, but didn't include the photos of the Hoover Dam. Years later when I started to log waymark visits with the photos of our vacations, I couldn't find the original photos of that trip. All I found was the photos of the slideshow. :-(

A few days ago, I was searching again for the photos of Las Vegas and suddenly I found a directory in the endless space of our harddisk that also included photos of the Hoover Dam. "Oh, great!" I thought, "now I can log some more waymarks in the USA". But, I was completely surprised about the fact that these few photos allowed me to log visits in categories that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to log:

plus some waymarks in harder to find categories like "Border Crossings", "Monopoly in the Real World" etc.

For a second I was sad that I missed some other categories like "Nevada Historical Markers", "E Clampus Vitus Historical Markers", "Arizona Historical Markers" etc., but that second is long gone and for next couple of days I will dance the WDOJ (Waymarking Dance Of Joy). :-)

Well that is great that you found them!   Does anyone else ever take waymark vacation photos,  then hope and hope no one else has posted a certain waymark? That's me. I have a few priorities that I will check out ASAP so I can get them posted before someone else snags them.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Does anyone else ever take waymark vacation photos,  then hope and hope no one else has posted a certain waymark? That's me. I have a few priorities that I will check out ASAP so I can get them posted before someone else snags them.

I was in a similar situation with "World Heritage Sites". All the eight world heritage sites in Austria had a waymark already, but when we planned our vacation in Sweden I took photos of the Royal Domain of Drottningholm. A few months later I once again checked the UNESCO World Heritage list and stumbled over Drottningholm. I knew that we have photos of the castle, the garden and the Chinese pavilion and I was anxious, that someone else will have posted that waymark, but to my surprise I was the first. Those are the moments that make Waymarking so much fun.

7 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Are we the only waymarkers that make a "To Do List"  before heading out on a road trip? 

To Do List doesn't quite do my notes justice. I usually have a binder full of things to find, or do, or look for.  And then I use it when I find something interesting but don't know yet if it's already waymarked.  Yesterday I was geocaching with a small group, when one of them commented, "She's really organized!"  Another person responded, "Yeah she is!"  I know what I need to find, where it is, a hint to find it, and where I'm going next.  Ain't nobody got time for an unorganized trip! Don't mess with my schedule!

Seriously, though, I do have a binder of notes for the trip, but I've also learned that things don't always go as planned, and I'm ready to adjust or even cancel something. A few days ago we were following my schedule when an alert came on the radio, "If you are near Huntsville, take cover now. If you are in a vehicle, leave it and seek shelter immediately."  We decided to stay put rather than continue, and ended up in a place I've never heard, with lots of interesting things to see.  I'm learning that sometimes winging it can be a lot of fun.

Hamquilter concentrates her Waymarking on historic buildings, and she has to be super organized for a task like that! She does lots of research before a trip and has a well-organized To-Do list to help her through a town.

• Upvote 1

We do our "To Do List" in Excel complete with coordinates, then K transfers them to our GPS.

It is the unexpected that we find the most fun and the people we meet along the way. 

Especially the ones that ask us "Why are you taking so many pictures all over town?"

We try to explain "Waymarking" and  the perplexed looks are priceless...

Edited by BK-Hunters
  • Upvote 1
On 3/23/2018 at 6:02 AM, PISA-caching said:

Good catch on benchmark GR1860 A I -- when I discovered I had photos of all 3 and could make waymarks out of them, I shared your joy :)

I do not know why but I never really focused on visits, I have to start to log visits to waymarks :huh:

On 24/03/2018 at 5:27 AM, Max and 99 said:

Well that is great that you found them!   Does anyone else ever take waymark vacation photos,  then hope and hope no one else has posted a certain waymark? That's me. I have a few priorities that I will check out ASAP so I can get them posted before someone else snags them.

This has happened to me a few times, find a rare category to me and have to wait to get home to see if has not been waymarked yet :D

On 24/03/2018 at 0:19 PM, BK-Hunters said:

Are we the only waymarkers that make a "To Do List"  before heading out on a road trip? 

I never did. I usually go to visit a location and there I see What can be waymarked, unfortunately because of this I've missed some rare categories to find for me. :(