Entering updated coordinates in GPS

garyo1954

If you've solved a puzzle at home and added corrected coordinates to the cache page, just download an updated GPX file to the GPSr, or rerun the PQ if you'd transferred the details that way. Make sure there's only one instance of the cache file on the device, though, as it'll always pick the wrong one to use in the field! I got in a mess when a PQ overlapped another cache I'd loaded as a stand-alone GPX file, where one had the corrected coordinates and the other didn't.

If you're solving a field puzzle in the field, you can mark a waypoint as kunarion suggested. I'm not familiar with the Etrex, but my Garmin 62s has an "Enter next stage" menu option when searching for a cache, which I generally use when doing multis.

• Upvote 1

Thanks to both of you!

I added a waypoint. Simplest way I think. The listed coordinates point to a location where you get the necessary data to find the corrected coordinates. It could be done there, but my brain was not working properly....I wandered around a good bit watching the GSPr while running into downed trees. Figured at that point it was time to regroup.

I recently solved a similar query.  If you just input the co-ordinates on the etrex10 as a waypoint you do not get the cache information that you might want to refer to in the field.  However I discovered that once I  had solved a puzzle I could edit the co-ordinates on the cache page then send this revised cache GPX file to my etrex10.  Apparently the edited co-ords you see on screen are only visible to you.  At least I think this is all correct - have done a couple this way, although have not actually gone out & found the caches yet.

A learning curve & it always helps to find someone using exactly the same gps model.

Edited by grimpil
Spelling error
7 hours ago, grimpil said:

I recently solved a similar query.  If you just input the co-ordinates on the etrex10 as a waypoint you do not get the cache information that you might want to refer to in the field.  However I discovered that once I  had solved a puzzle I could edit the co-ordinates on the cache page then send this revised cache GPX file to my etrex10.  Apparently the edited co-ords you see on screen are only visible to you.  At least I think this is all correct - have done a couple this way, although have not actually gone out & found the caches yet.

A learning curve & it always helps to find someone using exactly the same gps model.

Very nice! Just click the pencil beside the coordinates and you can enter the new, or updated!
Planned to stop in and check the waypoint coordinates coming in, but by the time I saw the cutoff I was past it.

What would we do without forums like this?  Always reassuring to have advice from more experienced members but also good to know us newbies can work stuff out & share it around.  Now if only I could work out how to solve some of the puzzles on the site.  Some are so easy, some might as well be in Chinese!!

1 hour ago, grimpil said:

What would we do without forums like this?  Always reassuring to have advice from more experienced members but also good to know us newbies can work stuff out & share it around.  Now if only I could work out how to solve some of the puzzles on the site.  Some are so easy, some might as well be in Chinese!!

Y'all made me think again.....so I had to go out and try it.

Works either way. The only drawback of adding it as a waypoint is the GPSr doesn't recognize it as a geocache and will not give the option to view it or log it found. The workaround is after you have located the cache, go back to the original listing and hit GO as you normally would. Then you have options as you normally would.
(Hope that makes sense)

At any rate, I logged a mystery, still last in the friends league, and five points away from Jupiter with the weekend coming up.

48 minutes ago, colleda said:

If you use the method I mentioned above for etrex 10  Menu>Geocaches>Enter next Stage, you still have all the cache info available.

Thank you & I have made a note to self of that if I need to update in the field.  In the puzzles I solved to date I will have no need to go to the original co-ordinates as the puzzles can be solved from the comfort of home & I will be heading straight to the cache location from a different direction rather than parking up at the given spot.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, colleda said:

If you use the method I mentioned above for etrex 10  Menu>Geocaches>Enter next Stage, you still have all the cache info available.

You do need to keep in mind, though, that this feature is more of a short-term solution. When you use "Enter next stage", it creates a "Next stage" waypoint that you can then navigate to. The thing to remember is that there's only a single instance of this waypoint. If you haven't yet completed that cache and you start working on another cache before you finish the first, using "Enter next stage" on the second cache will overwrite the waypoint from the first, losing the coordinates. It's for this reason that I always manually create a waypoint myself, which is then unique and persistent. While it does make accessing the cache info more difficult, I prefer the security of knowing I won't lose the coordinates.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, The A-Team said:

You do need to keep in mind, though, that this feature is more of a short-term solution. When you use "Enter next stage", it creates a "Next stage" waypoint that you can then navigate to. The thing to remember is that there's only a single instance of this waypoint. If you haven't yet completed that cache and you start working on another cache before you finish the first, using "Enter next stage" on the second cache will overwrite the waypoint from the first, losing the coordinates. It's for this reason that I always manually create a waypoint myself, which is then unique and persistent. While it does make accessing the cache info more difficult, I prefer the security of knowing I won't lose the coordinates.

Oh yes.

And if you are working on a multi that is more than 2 stages, the later stages will overwrite the previous stages. I always create a separate waypoint. It's not hard to go back to the original cache listing to mark it found. 

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, The A-Team said:

That's what I do as well. I once lost a stage this way, won't happen again.

I don't know why Garmin does not fix this, as cachers have been complaining about this for years. Can't be that difficult.

4 hours ago, Henne1312 said:

That's what I do as well. I once lost a stage this way, won't happen again.

I don't know why Garmin does not fix this, as cachers have been complaining about this for years. Can't be that difficult.

I didn't even know it worked that way!  Or "didn't work" that way :cute:.  Good to know.  That's not the way I make waypoints.  But it could be a nice feature to save them with each cache.