Keeps logging "retrieved" and "placed" over & over

Woodroce

Hi,

We have a person who has picked up our very first trackable and has had it for ten days.  In that ten days the person has created ten pages worth of logs!  First is was all "Took it to" logs.  Pages and pages of these logs.  Took it here, took it there.  But the last several logs are "Placed it" and "Retrieved it" logs.  Placing it in a cache and then taking it right back out?  I don't understand.  Some of the caches the person puts in it and takes it out of are not even active caches! 

I sent the person a message and asked them what they are doing because we don't understand.  

Also, the person is ignoring the travel bug's GOALS!

This is our first trackable and we are disappointed in what is happening with it.

Any advice?    Why would someone do this with a trackable?   I thought you were supposed to just pick them up and drop them off keeping their current goal in mind.  

33 minutes ago, Woodroce said:

We have a person who has picked up our very first trackable and has had it for ten days.  In that ten days the person has created ten pages worth of logs!  First is was all "Took it to" logs.  Pages and pages of these logs.  Took it here, took it there.  But the last several logs are "Placed it" and "Retrieved it" logs.  Placing it in a cache and then taking it right back out?  I don't understand.  Some of the caches the person puts in it and takes it out of are not even active caches! 

I sent the person a message and asked them what they are doing because we don't understand.  

Also, the person is ignoring the travel bug's GOALS!

This is our first trackable and we are disappointed in what is happening with it.

Any advice?    Why would someone do this with a trackable?   I thought you were supposed to just pick them up and drop them off keeping their current goal in mind.  

"Visit" (took it to...) is a replacement log type for the time-consuming Drop/Retrieve folks had to do if using a Trackable in that way.  Some folks wanted "mileage" , and didn't understand that logging "every cache to..." is usually the same in mileage as point A to B.  :)

It looks like in your case the cacher is simply going "old school" for a while... 

"  Keep him near music scenes " wouldn't be practical in many cases.  For me, it'd be a few micros with maintenance issues a bit East.  So it might be one of those "careful what you wish for" things if you didn't want it missing in a hurry. 

Realize that once the Trackable leaves your possession, you have little (if any) influence/control on it.  But eventually you'll have one who will not only be at a good location to honor your request, but include pics too.  :)

Edited by cerberus1

I wonder if there recent repeated logging of 'placed it' and 'retrieved it' are part of their attempt to rack up points for the new planetary pursuit promotion.  I believe there are a certain number of 'points' that a person gets each time they drop a trackable.  Did these types of log just start happening yesterday?

I do wish there was a way to only see when a trackable truly transferred from one person to another or one cache to another in one concise list.  The common habit of having all the 'took it to' logs makes following the trackable pages not very interesting.  

• Upvote 3
32 minutes ago, m0bean said:

I wonder if there recent repeated logging of 'placed it' and 'retrieved it' are part of their attempt to rack up points for the new planetary pursuit promotion.  I believe there are a certain number of 'points' that a person gets each time they drop a trackable.  Did these types of log just start happening yesterday?

I do wish there was a way to only see when a trackable truly transferred from one person to another or one cache to another in one concise list.  The common habit of having all the 'took it to' logs makes following the trackable pages not very interesting.  

Yep.  Good hit.  :)

I agree, but maybe "visit" wouldn't bug me so much if there were pics once-in-a-while so you knew they at least still (really) had it. 

I'm having the same issue with one of my trackables. It's between two couples, that must geocache together. I'll get a string of emails, stating that they've placed it in a cache, then retrieved it from the same cache, and placed/retrieved from the next one that they visit. This will go on for a bit, and then the other couple will do it for a bit. This has been happening for about a week.

It's not really a big deal to me, as this trackable has been quiet for some time, but I just found it odd, as I thought you were supposed to just move it on to the next suitable location, and place it for someone else to find.

Edited by gnarkilljboy
2 hours ago, gnarkilljboy said:

I just found it odd, as I thought you were supposed to just move it on to the next suitable location, and place it for someone else to find.

Start with a clear description of what you think should happen.  One of yours that is drop/retrieved says it is to "travel", and specifically says it is to "visit" sights.  Remember that there is a log button for Takers to click, which has the title "Visited".  If you instead expect it to be placed into a cache with a Drop log, say that instead. Don't use the term "visit" unless you mean it. Yes, I know these things are sold to you on the premise that they're placed into caches for another person to retrieve, but Groundspeak does not made that clear to the Takers.  Go figure.

You will notice many Takers who do a whole lot of obnoxious things that would be difficult to fully cover in a few short sentences.   Some "do their own thing" without concern for "rules"-and-stuff.  But some Takers are crying for help, not actually "Geocaching" but extending their mental disorders into everything they do.  If you do explain all of your expectations, now the result is "In that case, I'll just trash it!!" (actual responses seen here in these Forums).  With my new TBs, I request photos and stories and specifically not robotic "visit" logs, but that as long as the requested logs occur, that the Taker is allowed to carry it around indefinitely and make a buhzullion logs with my TB.  Wish me luck with my new plan. ;)

I did the drop/retrieve thing at some caches during the current Planetary Pursuit promotion, but only with my own TBs so that nobody but myself gets a whole bunch of emails.  I have three TBs belonging to others that I did a couple of Visits with, and next will place into containers and log the drop.  One email is OK. :cute:

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, gnarkilljboy said:

I just found it odd, as I thought you were supposed to just move it on to the next suitable location, and place it for someone else to find.

If you write that you want your trackable to "visit" or "travel", they're doing that, and Visit is an approved log by the site.    :)

Realize that what you say doesn't often mean much these days, losing all control once it leaves your hands.    For example,  "Feel free to upload a picture of them to instagram, and tag their owner @(name included as well)" just wouldn't happen with me, since neither have anything to do with this hobby.

• Upvote 1

I totally understand what you both are saying. For me, I’ve only found one trackable, and moved it to a new location, for someone else to find. Personally I’d find it boring to hang on to the same one, and just hope it from one cache to the next. 

But, like I said, it’s not really that big of a deal to me, just found it odd, that’s all. As long as they are having fun, that’s all that matters.

I don’t like when people take a trackable, and it disappears.

• Upvote 1
On 3/29/2018 at 6:26 AM, gnarkilljboy said:

This has been happening for about a week.

It's probably related to the Planetary Pursuit promotion. The repeated drops allows the cacher to accumulate points. My guess is that the 'odd' activity will cease after Monday, when the promotion ends.

• Upvote 1