How to find a list of older caches in placed order

4crazycachers

IIRC, in the beginning, the database was compiled of then-existing geocaches. They were not necessarily inputted in date order, so the GC code order didn't correlate with date order. Only those from the beginning (Jeremy, et al) would be able to correctly answer the question.

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, K13 said:

IIRC, in the beginning, the database was compiled of then-existing geocaches. They were not necessarily inputted in date order, so the GC code order didn't correlate with date order. Only those from the beginning (Jeremy, et al) would be able to correctly answer the question.

Yep. Here's the article in the Help center on it......

"Originally, the Geocaching.com database translated the number of each submission into a hexadecimal code (1-9, A-F).

Example: Beverly is the 40th cache page that was created. 40 in hexadecimal is 28, hence the 40th cache has the GC code GC28.

In April 2003, the database reached the number 65535 (GCFFFF in hexadecimal). This is the highest for a four digit hexadecimal number. The base was changed to 31 code (0-9, A-Z). Waypoints were originally limited to six characters because most GPS units only allow six characters per waypoint.

In December 2006, the database hit 512401 geocache records, which meant that they had reached GCZZZZ, the maximum geocache under base 31. The solution was to extend the GC code to seven digits. GC10000 is now a memorial to the rollover.

Age of a geocache

Most of the time, the lower GC code is, the earlier the geocache page was created. However, geocaches placed before September 2000 were listed on other websites and were entered on Geocaching.com manually. Geocaches were not sequentially entered until players started submitting them directly to Geocaching.com.

Example: GC30 Mingo was placed on May 11, 2000 and is #48 in the database. GC28 Beverly was placed three days later, on May 13, 2000, but is #40 in the database."

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=26&pgid=221

• Upvote 1

GC1000 was in Pennsylvania.  I had to archive the cache when the owner failed to fix up the cache after a Hurricane caused flooding on the island where the cache was hidden.  Sequentially, however, GC1000 was the 4,096th cache page created.

The 1000th cache page created was GC3E8. Located in New Mexico, it remains active today.  Go find it!

It would be too much work to determine what was the 1000th cache published.  (As is still true today, many cache pages are never published.)

Edited by Keystone
  • Upvote 2
6 hours ago, HHL said:
17 hours ago, HHL said:

Do a search as usual and then sort the result by hitting the "Placed On" column.

Example: https://www.geocaching.com/play/search/@27.94752,-82.45843?origin=Tampa%2C Florida&ot=3&g=305888&sort=PlaceDate&asc=True

Hans

Then hit the Page down key going to the very end of the page. The most bottom down cache is the 1000th oldest cache (activly listed today).

This works in theory, but not in reality, as the first 50 results or so (I got tired of counting them) have fake "placed on" dates. 

Since Groundspeak has limited the search function to the first 1,000 returns, this won't get the actual 1,000th oldest active geocache.

1 hour ago, hzoi said:

This works in theory, but not in reality, as the first 50 results or so (I got tired of counting them) have fake "placed on" dates. 

Since Groundspeak has limited the search function to the first 1,000 returns, this won't get the actual 1,000th oldest active geocache.

This currently works also in reality with the link of that area. Try my posted link and see that none of the fake dated caches are listed in that area.
Gut gebrüllt, Löwe. ;-)

Hans

44 minutes ago, HHL said:

This currently works also in reality with the link of that area. Try my posted link and see that none of the fake dated caches are listed in that area.
Gut gebrüllt, Löwe. ;-)

Hans

Except I didn't see any indication that the OP was only asking about the 1000th cache placed in Tampa, Florida.

32 minutes ago, hzoi said:

Except I didn't see any indication that the OP was only asking about the 1000th cache placed in Tampa, Florida.

Seems obvious to me. But let the OP decide himself. Makes more sense to me than wild guessing. ;-)

29 minutes ago, HHL said:

Seems obvious to me. But let the OP decide himself. Makes more sense to me than wild guessing. ;-)

OK.  That doesn't really make sense to me given the original post.

19 hours ago, 4crazycachers said:

Any suggestions for how to find the order of placed caches from the beginning?

Absent additional information from the OP, reading this as a search for the 1000th cache from the beginning of geocaching, or 1000th active geocache, makes more sense to me than the 1,000th active cache in Tampa, Florida (which returns 459 results). 

Either way, I agree, we're guessing.  If 4crazycachers comes back, she (they?) can clarify.

edit: grr :laughing:

61d4PVGEqFL._SX355_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edited by hzoi

So sorry everyone - this was all incredibly helpful!  I posted this and my life exploded and I'm finally getting back to having some geocaching time!  Thank you sooooooo much!  I was actually looking for the name of the 1,000 cache... not just in Tampa Bay.   GC3E8  Seems to be the right answer to the challenge question.   HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!