this is still a thing?

lesann26

okay. So I recently discovered this geocaching thing, (I KNOW,I KNOW I'M SLOW!) but all the pictures I am seeing are from 2010. I was wondering if people still do this, until I got on these forums and noticed they are recent. so I guess my question is, how many people still do this regularly... AND how likely is it that I am actually going to be able to still locate these items?

38 minutes ago, lesann26 said:

how many people still do this regularly

According to Project-GC, last year there were more than 400k active geocachers in the US alone.

53 minutes ago, lesann26 said:

how likely is it that I am actually going to be able to still locate these items?

Good question. That depends on what kinds of geocaches you search for, and how good you are at finding them. ;)

1 hour ago, lesann26 said:

... AND how likely is it that I am actually going to be able to still locate these items?

Not sure of your meaning, but new caches are published daily, they're not something that's just been sitting around since '10.  :)   

There are still plenty of caches in play, going back to '00.   I'd say being able to locate them is pretty-much on you. 

Some helpful information (even videos) is here, at Geocaching 101

1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

Not sure of your meaning, but new caches are published daily, they're not something that's just been sitting around since '10.  :)   

There are still plenty of caches in play, going back to '00.   I'd say being able to locate them is pretty-much on you. 

Some helpful information (even videos) is here, at Geocaching 101

when I posted this a little bit ago I hadn't looked around on the site much. I finally found where all the recent caches were. I am pretty excited to get started. thanks for the reply!! :)

• Upvote 1

I'm a bit surprised. Not finding near as many people out looking as there caches.
Mostly it depends on your area.

Here we have a total of 122 caches in the county. Most were planted between 2003 and 2010. Others between 2013 and 2014. I only know of one planted in 2017. Those visited most often average a visit every 15 to 30 days. Those least visited average 4 to six months.

Of the total, 22 have been visited at least once in the last 7 days. (that's going to be a bit skewed since there was a meet and people were traveling through).
18 have not been found in more than a year, with five of the top 6 nearing two years and the top cache nearing three.

On 3/17/2018 at 6:25 PM, garyo1954 said:

I'm a bit surprised. Not finding near as many people out looking as there caches.
Mostly it depends on your area.

Here we have a total of 122 caches in the county. Most were planted between 2003 and 2010. Others between 2013 and 2014. I only know of one planted in 2017. Those visited most often average a visit every 15 to 30 days. Those least visited average 4 to six months.

Of the total, 22 have been visited at least once in the last 7 days. (that's going to be a bit skewed since there was a meet and people were traveling through).
18 have not been found in more than a year, with five of the top 6 nearing two years and the top cache nearing three.

It looks like you live in a very cache sparse area (there are still lots of places around the world like this).   Head to that big city a couple of hours north west and there are over 5000 caches within 20 miles of the city center. 

Oh, the community is definitely still active! And the age of a cache doesn't necessarily indicate how good it'll be or what condition it'll be in. I've found some old ones that were virtually unusable and some pristine new ones but I've also found just as many broken, wet, trashed new ones and pristine old ones. It's always worth having a look at the logs to see what sort of condition the cache will be in and what to expect along the way before you set out.