Where and where not can I hide a cache without permission?

Longshot_T_YT

I recently submitted my second cache and I was contacted by my reviewer that I would need permission to hide my cache. The cache is located in the parking lot of a library. I am confused of where and where not I can hide a cache without permission? My first cache was hidden in a parking lot where people park their cars to use the bus. I did not need permission there. I'd appreciate if someone could clear this up to me by giving me some basic off limit areas/areas where you'll need permission to hide a cache.

Thanks, Jack:rolleyes:

First of all, we should consider if the place is public or private.

Even some public places state they don't authorize physical caches.

A private place always needs a written authorization.

High-sensitive (government, military, airports, ports, train rails, powerplants, etc.) areas are not allowed by guidelines also.

Good sense is a good starter. :)

Edited by RuideAlmeida

When you check the boxes on the cache report form, you state that you DO have permission.  That said, you seem to be hiding in New Jersey. In the permission section of the listing guidelines is a link to the Geocaching Policies Wiki. Here's the link for the page for New Jersey, linky thingy

In Geocaching.com's guidelines there's restricted areas section - caches placed in/near these restricted areas are apt to require an explicit permission statement, (or not get published at all, depending on many factors - linky thingy restricted

I've seen a reviewer statement that anytime their judgement of a cache is that the property owner or manager would want it removed if they knew about it, that  the cache will need explicit, verifiable permission.

• Upvote 2

We've asked for permission for every hide we placed.  Some took a couple months of township or board meetings to get approval. 

I believe that most realize that few caches in a lamp post/parking lot have permission.  Logs of "security wasn't too happy...", "property manager asked what I was doing there" are often enough to support that.   These days of people afraid of things less, someone looking furtively (not well...) while lifting a lamp post skirt, reaching behind a fence, etc., makes some nervous.  Asking for permission gives the property manager notice if the bomb squad shows up (from a frantic caller) what it might be about.  If someone stopped in with a "there's a guy hanging in your parking lot", the manager could simply tell them what it is before an issues created.    :)

"Public" simply means "the community" as in public library, open to the public, but the property belongs to someone, be it a private group, township. county, etc. 

• Upvote 3
On 3/17/2018 at 9:18 AM, Longshot_T_YT said:

Ok thank you. I am going to ask someone at the library today. I was questioning the need for permission since the library's name has "Public" in it. This makes more sense now.

Even a place with "public" in the name is managed by someone and may want to be asked for permission to play the game at that place.  A public library is open to the public but that doesn't mean that the public can do anything they want there.  A public park may have policies regarding what one can do there.  Pretty much every public park in a city has a sign with "park rules".   Also keep in mind that when you place a cache in a public place, even if you obtain explicit permission,  pretty much anyone else that's part of of the public, including employees of other nearby business, law enforcement officers or even a random patron of the library isn't going to know that permission has been obtained.  The act of searching for a cache can easily be construed as suspicious behavior, and the "if you see something, say something" campaign might lead to a conversation with a LEO.  Try to keep that in mind when placing a cache anywhere that might be in view of the general public.

• Upvote 1