Display a .png file as a 'found it' log. Not as a picture, but the log itself.

WÅLDO

You mean have your posted log on the listing be an image instead of text? I'd suggest just uploading the image to the log. You'll need to put something in the text, but indicate that the main log content is in the attached image.

Edited by thebruce0
11 minutes ago, WÅLDO said:

Yeah, I guess that would work. Thanks!

Many modern hand held GPS devices are "geocaching friendly", allowing one to view geocache data on the GPS, including hints.  The specification for the GPX format which encapsulates geocache data stipulates that the log field is a text string.  A GPX file for a cache may include the 5 most recent logs. Some GPS devices might not validate that the GPX file complies with the specification, but would assume that the log was a text string and try to display it.  That might not only cause jibberish to be displayed on the GPS, but might also corrupt the GPX data for all other caches in the file.   

heh, took me a couple reads to grasp what you were saying - you were referring to putting the PNG binary data as the log text content?  I don't think that would work anywhere at all. I gathered he just meant somehow having the image display with the log; so uploading it as an attachment would work. Is there any app or tool that would actually even attempt to store a raw PNG file in the log text? :o

But you know it could be possible as HTML. You can encode an image as base64 and as the url src it would inform the browser to parse the url itself as binary data. ie, hide an image directly in a (very very very long) url. Not all browsers support this feature though.