Promoting an unfound cache

shunra

Guys,

I've been caching since June, but I have hidden only one cache so far. It's the Iceberg Cache on the Fairy Trail, and it's giving me grief.

I hid it just over a month ago, and no find, not even a no-find, has been logged. True, it is a bit remote, up near Mt. Baker, but it can certainly be reached, even now, probably even without cross country skis. I see many remote caches being found, and mine is not at all inaccessible; when I was there, there were plenty of people on the trails.

Is there anything I can do to promote my cache?

http://www.shunra.net

______________ e ____________

H I D E___&___G O___G E E K !

It's pretty well out of my normal area, but the saying goes, If you hide it, they will find it. It may take some time, but someone will get it eventually. I've hid some that I thought no one would ever find. That was early on. The sport grew and people found it. The problem now is that there are so many caches that it extends the wait period for finds. It may be next spring, but someone will get it. I always took pleasure in knowing I had one out there that may not get found. But... they always did.

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

Took nearly a month for my Pyramid of the Sinagua to be found and it has only 5 logs since mid-august. And Sh Feels Like A Remora has not been found since July. Do not be discouraged, when you place them out like that they are not found often but they are appreciated by the few who do find them.

* Remember... Only you can pervert forest faeries... *

Official H2G2 Researcher #248886 www.pdxgeocaching.com

**Namaste**

Hah.

Look at THIS ONE.

Just over two years before a find.

I know it is just a virtual but still.

We where going that way this weekend to make it a full blown cache but it is snowing there right now and I think it is out of bounds for the winter.

logscaler.

"Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction?

Fiction, after all, has to make sense."

Mark Twain.

quote:
Originally posted by evergreenhiker!:

Might be awhile before someone finds my cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=96173

Why don't we trade? :-)

You'll attempt mine (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=95115), I'll attempt yours.

Yours would involve at least a two day expedition, considering the place where I live. Do you know of a cacher-friendly budget (youth) hostel in the area? Is the season still OK (and how long will it be, you think?) Is it child-compatible?

quote:
Originally posted by EraSeek:

It's pretty well out of my normal area, but the saying goes, If you hide it, they will find it. It may take some time, but someone will get it eventually. I've hid some that I thought no one would ever find. That was early on. The sport grew and people found it. The problem now is that there are so many caches that it extends the wait period for finds. It may be next spring, but someone will get it. I always took pleasure in knowing I had one out there that may not get found. But... they always did.

Thank you all for the encouragement and for the good ideas. I see that it is not as unusual as I thought. My concern was that as the cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=95115) is no longer new, it is off the radar. I would suggest that the 'New' indicator would highlight a cache until it's first find...

At the top of my list of Must-Do Caches:

Iceberg Cache icon_smile.gif

I've really been wanting to get up to Mt. Baker. I see it from my deck, and I've been itching for a visit ever since I moved here. I don't know that I'm prepared for a wintertime hike to the cache, but it's definitely on my list of hikes for next summer. I'm thinking that this would be an awesome one for the Peanut Butter Brigade to do (what do you think girls?).

I just got back (yesterday) from a trip to the Rockies, where I went and grabbed a few caches before the snow set in (today). Most of the mountain caches there are inaccessible for about 7 months of the year. There tends to be a run on the caches from June to August, and then things die out. I was going to place a cache on one of my favorite hikes at about 11,000 feet, but then I realized no one would be able to get to it until next summer. I'll be visiting again in July, so I'll place it then.

I suspect you're running into the same thing -- people are worried that they don't have the winter gear or that the roads will be closed at this time of year.

Say, would this one be accessible for a group of snowshoers? Perhaps the WSGA will be putting together another snowshoeing excursion this winter....

Cin

quote:
Originally posted by CachinCin:

At the top of my list of Must-Do Caches:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=cda3fa9b-21c3-4b5d-8f92-8c217716f4fa icon_smile.gif

Aw... Now I'm warming up!

quote:
I've really been wanting to get up to Mt. Baker. I see it from my deck, and I've been itching for a visit ever since I moved here. I don't know that I'm prepared for a wintertime hike to the cache, but it's definitely on my list of hikes for next summer. ... people are worried that they don't have the winter gear or that the roads will be closed at this time of year.

Say, would this one be accessible for a group of snowshoers? Perhaps the WSGA will be putting together another snowshoeing excursion this winter....

I haven't been up there since September, and I haven't ever walked in snowshoes, but: There are two parking lots up there. From the upper one it's mostly an easy even or downhill hike, but I don't know if you can get to the upper parking lot. The lower parking lot should be accessible, but then it's a not too steep switchback trail up to a pass, and then down to the lake. I think that this is certainly possible for cross-country skiers. I haven't done that ever, either. I suppose I should start picking that up, or I won;t be doing many mountain caches this winter...

quote:
Originally posted by Abu Shachaf:

quote:
Originally posted by evergreenhiker!:

Might be awhile before someone finds my cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=96173

Why don't we trade? :-)

You'll attempt mine (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=95115), I'll attempt yours.

Yours would involve at least a two day expedition, considering the place where I live. Do you know of a cacher-friendly budget (youth) hostel in the area? Is the season still OK (and how long will it be, you think?) Is it child-compatible?

I'm definitely interested trying for yours. Just haven't made it up to Baker yet.

Regarding my caches, almost dreamy and dream cache. You really need to set camp the night before by Big Creek. Well, if you just did almost dreamy, you could do all that in one day. It's an easy 5+ miles via the Taylor River road trail to the Big Creek Bridge and beginning of the very rough trail that leads to the first cache.

You'll need to take the Mid Fork road out of north bend. This is a rougher logging road, but passenger cars can make it. Just watch out for potholes.

I wouldnt' recommend kids. Especially for Dream lake. The way is brutal. It's either the creek bed or a hellacious bushwack after teh old campsite and Almost dreamy cache.

I think you'll be forced to bushwack now, but there a flagged trail that roughly begins just before the headwall and generally follows the stream up high along the ridge. Very faint, but if you get lucky and find it, this will take you rest of the way to the lake. lake sits at 3451 if I remember right. Could be little snow there now, but not sure. Anyhow, prepare for winter.

If you are serioius about attempting this, I will send you a large jpeg file of the map and coords.

I'm not that familiar with the Mt Baker Hiway, but the following news may make that cache somewhat more difficult:

Date: October 10, 2003

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact: Jim McDonald, Maintenance Superintendent, (360) 676-2100 (Bellingham)

Dustin Terpening, Public Information Officer, (360) 757-5997 (Burlington)

Mount Baker Highway closes for the winter at noon

BELLINGHAM -- State Route 542, Mount Baker Highway, will close at noon today for the winter season at the Terminal Lake parking lot, above the Mount Baker Ski Lodge. As a result, Austin Pass, Heather Meadows Visitor Center, and Artist Point will not be accessible by vehicle. The highway, open to traffic only a few months each summer, opened on July 15, 2003.

A temporary closure started Wednesday, October 8, after the first significant snowfall of the season. The Washington State Department of Transportation and U.S. Forest Service determined that it is now necessary to close the road for the winter season.

"The road temperature is thirty-one degrees, we already have five-plus inches of snow, and it is continuing to snow," said Bill Joyce, WSDOT maintenance lead technician. "Snow is expected to fall throughout the day. It's time to close the road for the winter to keep drivers safe."

The Glacier Public Service Center, located further west on SR 542, will begin winter operation hours starting Sunday, October 19. During winter months, the Glacier Public Service Center is open only on Saturdays and Sundays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Visitors seeking Forest Service information should contact the Mt. Baker Ranger District office at 810 State Route 20 in Sedro-Woolley, WA (phone: 360-856-5700). For current road closure information, call the Bellingham Maintenance Facility, (360) 676-2100.

For updated information on the above and other Department of Transportation traffic revisions in the Puget Sound area, call the Commuter Information Line at DOT-HIWY (206-368-4499). The Commuter Information Line may also be reached toll free in Washington at 1-800-695-ROAD (7623). TTY users can call 1-800-833-6388 and ask for (206) 515-3683.

We have the opposite "problem" here. Anything hidden in the Olympia/Grays Harbor area seems to be found almost immediately. Yesterday I hid a cache at noon, it was approved that day at 7:30 (thank you very much Moun10Bike), and by 10:30 that night a find was logged.

You have to be hardcore to get a FTF around here.

quote:
Originally posted by gaviidae:

We have the opposite "problem" here. Anything hidden in the Olympia/Grays Harbor area seems to be found almost immediately. Yesterday I hid a cache at noon, it was approved that day at 7:30 (thank you very much Moun10Bike), and by 10:30 that night a find was logged.

You have to be hardcore to get a FTF around here.

That's the usual situation, here too. The fact that my Iceberg cache sat there during the last weeks of the hiking with nobody going there seemed exeptional.

quote:
Originally posted by Right Wing Wacko:

I'm not that familiar with the Mt Baker Hiway, but the following news may make that cache somewhat more difficult:

<snip>

Mount Baker Highway closes for the winter at noon.

BELLINGHAM -- State Route 542, Mount Baker Highway, will close at noon today for the winter season at the Terminal Lake parking lot, above the Mount Baker Ski Lodge. As a result, Austin Pass, Heather Meadows Visitor Center, and Artist Point will not be accessible by vehicle. The highway, open to traffic only a few months each summer, opened on July 15, 2003.

Well, that seals it, for the next few months.

I wonder why they close the road that low, that early, though. couldn't that have een done in increments?

Oh well. Time to hide some other caches...

quote:

You really need to set camp the night before by Big Creek. Well, if you just did almost dreamy, you could do all that in one day. It's an easy 5+ miles via the Taylor River road trail to the Big Creek Bridge and beginning of the very rough trail that leads to the first cache. <snip> I wouldnt' recommend kids. Especially for Dream lake. <snip>

If you are serioius about attempting this, I will send you a large jpeg file of the map and coords.

I'm afaid that hikes that requiring overnight outdoors are not for me, certainly not this winter. unless I find a more experienced camper to team up with. I don't have too much camping experience in this kind of terrain/weather to do this on my own...

quote:
Originally posted by Sunnydae & Co:

i HAVE A CACHE THAT'S ONLY BEEN FOUND ONCE, AND IT WAS FAMILY. I ALSO WAS WONDERING IF SOMETHING WAS WRONG WITH IT. PLEASE LET ME KNOW! THANKS FREEDOM WALK

I'M NOT SURE IF I ENTERED THAT LINK RIGHT OR NOT. I HOPE SO.

icon_wink.gif

HERE IS THE LINK

Edit: hmmm the link in the quoted post didn't work for me (several times) when I posted this, now it does? go figure.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

[This message was edited by martmann on November 02, 2003 at 01:22 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Sunnydae & Co:

i HAVE A CACHE THAT'S ONLY BEEN FOUND ONCE, AND IT WAS FAMILY. I ALSO WAS WONDERING IF SOMETHING WAS WRONG WITH IT. PLEASE LET ME KNOW! THANKShttp://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=b99689fc-7781-4748-80c1-7e232f8b5a58

I'M NOT SURE IF I ENTERED THAT LINK RIGHT OR NOT. I HOPE SO.

icon_wink.gif

It's a bit out of my normal caching region, but maybe next time I head down I-5. In fact, if you really want people to hit your cache, you might edit the name of your cache to something like this:

Freedom Walk (near I-5)

There are many people who search for cache names that have I-5 in them, so they can do caches as they travel. Yours isn't directly on the freeway, but it might make for a cool sidetrip. icon_smile.gif

Cin

quote:
Originally posted by pdxmarathonman:

One good way to promote a cache that nobody seems to know about is to post to the local forums or include a link in your reply about one of your own icon_biggrin.gif

All mine are too easy, no links here!

Another good way is to produce a video of a recent VERY popular cache event, put it on CD, and stash the CDs in caches that have not been visited in a long while icon_biggrin.gif

* Remember... Only you can pervert forest faeries... *

Official H2G2 Researcher #248886 www.pdxgeocaching.com

**Namaste**