favorite geocaching place?

DrPossum

Hong Kong - mountain trails galore with well-maintained, locally-placed caches.  Great transportation.  I hike every day there.

Seoul - ditto

British Columbia - a zillion high-terrain caches in beautiful places I haven't yet had a chance to check out.  Right next door.

Alberta - ditto, and it's home.  I can disappear into the boonies for a weekender, climb something, catch a smiley or three, stay in shape.

16 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Hong Kong - mountain trails galore with well-maintained, locally-placed caches.  Great transportation.  I hike every day there.

Seoul - ditto

British Columbia - a zillion high-terrain caches in beautiful places I haven't yet had a chance to check out.  Right next door.

Alberta - ditto, and it's home.  I can disappear into the boonies for a weekender, climb something, catch a smiley or three, stay in shape.

I just got back from my fourth trip to Hong Kong. Still love it.  The local cachers in Hong Kong are serious about their hobby.

My favorites actually are:

Ned Brown Forest Preserve - amazing caches and a beautiful scenic view

Shadow Oak Park, California - a lot of geocaches all around this place!

Deer Grove Forest Preserve - This is what I call my forest preserve of gadget caches. There are a lot here. 

Since SwineFlew and I were the first two to reply, and we both spent a few hours caching together in Hong Kong (between events, yes, two events in one day), I'll share this story of a little adventure there, snooping around WWII bunkers and whatnot.

Wonderful. icon_smile_approve.gif

I'm happy to report Stage 1 is in fine condition, and can be found with some semi-challenging scrambling (hey if fishermen can do it...), OR by following the tip in the logs below, OR perhaps seeing the numbers from your window seat as you approach the airport.

Stage 2, piece of cake, unless you count the stiff climb getting there. Stop and take pictures while you catch your breath.

Stage 3: heh heh heh. We (SwineFlew and I) were in a rush, having to be at a geo-event in, well, very soon. It just started raining. The obvious trail in was, as mentioned earlier, flooded. Tried an alternate trail. Narrow trail, branches and vines dripping wet. Have I mentioned the rain? Trail too narrow for umbrellas, ducking under low branches, ditto. We quickly got soaked from head to toe. (How waterproof is my phone?)

Finally got to GZ. We searched in, out, around, above, below... Lights shining in dark crannies. Checking the watch... I'm about to say, let's give up, but SF says, let's check this out first. Bingo. icon_smile.gif

Then it was a simple matter of running through the crowd in seafood alley (I definitely felt like a contestant in Amazing Race) back to the MTR, where I'm sure we were the only dripping wet people on the whole train.

This is the stuff of which favourite points are made. icon_smile_approve.gif

My new normal is an annual caching trip to Hong Kong.  It is that good.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Seoul - ditto

Nice. You really are a traveler :)

I'm looking forward to getting back to Germany and other European countries, where the urban planning and property laws are much more conducive to geocaching.

In the US, land is either private or public, and a good deal of private land that would be awesome for geocaching is fenced off and posted with no trespassing signs.  Also, urban areas in most parts of the country just tend to sprawl.

In Germany, there is typically a defined edge of a given town.  Most people live in apartments or townhouses, and there is not much expectation to have a private yard.  Most folks who want some kind of yard space will get a garden plot on the edge of town.  And outside of the edge of town, the landscape is fields or forests, which the public has a right to enter -- farms and woods have paths for the public to go walking, and no trespassing signs are the exception, mostly reserved for places where it would be too dangerous for the public to go.  And so there are caches EVERYWHERE.  It's pretty awesome.

2 hours ago, hzoi said:

I'm looking forward to getting back to Germany and other European countries, where the urban planning and property laws are much more conducive to geocaching.

Even though I had a somewhat uncomfortable experience in Rome it's a wonderful city for "urban" geocaching.  So much history.  I'd like to go back to Iceland some time and do some geocaching outside of Reykjavik.  I didn't spend much time there but Singapore has a lot of potential.  There's some interesting urban caching in the city but a short train (and boat) ride away can take you to an "jungle" island where one can find quite a few caches by bicycle.  

2 hours ago, hzoi said:

Most people live in apartments or townhouses, and there is not much expectation to have a private yard.  Most folks who want some kind of yard space will get a garden plot on the edge of town. 

I guess that explains why I've seen so many gardens just outside of a city near the rail line while riding on a train .  That's generally not real estate where someone might want to live but as long as the ground is fertile it's probably relatively inexpensive for a garden.  Makes a lot of sense.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher
2 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I guess that explains why I've seen so many gardens just outside of a city near the rail line while riding on a train .  That's generally not real estate where someone might want to live but as long as the ground is fertile it's probably relatively inexpensive for a garden.  Makes a lot of sense.

I never thought of them putting the garden plots in undesirable areas.  But it makes sense, better that by the tracks than an apartment building.  And that might explain why we had a section of them right outside my post in Darmstadt...

On 3/15/2018 at 5:47 PM, Viajero Perdido said:

Since SwineFlew and I were the first two to reply, and we both spent a few hours caching together in Hong Kong (between events, yes, two events in one day), I'll share this story of a little adventure there, snooping around WWII bunkers and whatnot.

My new normal is an annual caching trip to Hong Kong.  It is that good.

I was thinking about that cache three weeks ago and it still bring a smile to my face. Hong Kong will always be a special place for me to cache. Theres something for every cachers there. For those that are planning on caching in HK, many of their hiking caches are unrated, that should be a warning. yikes.  I haven't found that cache with those creepy dolls... the cache is now archived but the dolls are still there. lol

On 16.3.2018 at 3:01 AM, barefootjeff said:

The ancient sandstone hinterland of the New South Wales Central Coast with its flooded river valleys, estuaries and amazing rock formations everywhere that provide so many great hiding places for caches.

DSC_0908Small.jpg

Wow - amazing!