Archived Caches

Greetings all,

I have been searching to no avail to an issue that has already probably been addressed but I am unable to find any mention from a search of the forums.

we have been caching for some time now and have found many a cache that has been archived but wonder why it does not show up on our map as a smiley?  We understand the obvious that they are no longer there to be found. Is there a setting we need to employ or is it just that the site does not display those that have been archived when found? If it is the latter, is there a way to have them show with a different colour icon or marking?

Thanks in advance

Paul (Blackadders)

Last summer, I did a series of caches placed in NYS parks in order to earn a special commemorative coin.  They do this each year; then archive those caches and do a new series each year.  For those who do visit the parks and collect the caches for the coin every summer, their map would get quite cluttered.  And if someone places a new cache in place of the old archived cache, the same applies.

It may be nice to see all the smilies for those archived caches, but I can see where it could make the maps VERY cluttered for those who have found many caches over the years in an area.

3 hours ago, pingurus said:

You could use project-gc.com and their map compare to show archived caches aswell.

This! Its nice to look up archived caches to see if the area is a problem. One of the biggest mistakes I see, newbies placing caches over and over in the same area. Everytime, the cache go missing. I look over in the logs to see if neighbors are an issue.

Hey guys, I have a similar question, but one that I didn't think would warrant it's own thread. I'd like to ask it here. I found a cache 9 years ago, 4 years prior to the first find I logged on the site. It was near a friend's house and she was having issues with cachers trespassing on her property to get it, so she showed it to us. That cache no longer appears on the map and I never logged anything online, so I can't view it through my profile. I'm curious to know what became of it and I'd like to write a note on the cache page labelling it as my first actual geocache find. It was an important cache because it introduced me to geocaching for the first time, and I'd like to know if there's a way to visit the page at this point. I know the general area where the cache WAS, but not the title or gc code, etc. 

Is there a way to view a map of archived caches on a site like project gc? And if so, how?

Can you get a hold of the logbook, or take a good picture of it?  Go through the profile of a cacher who signed the log, until you find the caches they found on that date, and check them out.  One of them should be "the one", and you should be able to tell the story.

Good luck.  I'm sure people would appreciate reading the story.  I know I would.

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, TheLimeCat said:

I found a cache 9 years ago, 4 years prior to the first find I logged on the site. It was near a friend's house and she was having issues with cachers trespassing on her property to get it, so she showed it to us. That cache no longer appears on the map and I never logged anything online, so I can't view it through my profile.

Similar to Viajero Perdido maybe, if you know cachers local to that area,  you'd probably have to hit each profile, looking for a timeframe that matches.  Their start date might help too, simply looking for those who started on/before the time the issues took place. 

- We don't often hear of others creating issues stimulating one's interest in the hobby.  That would be a fascinating log itself.  :)

Edited by cerberus1
shortification ;)