Compass disappears

I've been having an issue with the compass feature of the Android app lately. It's THE feature I use MOST often, for determining coordinates while Waymarking.   We use it a lot for geocaching, too. Lately the compass icon will seemingly randomly disappear. At first I thought maybe because it was still on a geocache far away, but that wasn't it. I tried different types of geocaches, I've tried close and far geocaches, and sometimes I just cannot get the compass icon to return. The option is just not there. I REALLY need the compass feature, so if anyone can tell me why this happens so I can fix it in the field, that would be fantastic.

I'm sure there's a logical explanation, but I just can't figure it out.

Edited by Max and 99
On 3/14/2018 at 5:26 PM, Max and 99 said:

I've been having an issue with the compass feature of the Android app lately. It's THE feature I use MOST often, for determining coordinates while Waymarking.   We use it a lot for geocaching, too. Lately the compass icon will seemingly randomly disappear. At first I thought maybe because it was still on a geocache far away, but that wasn't it. I tried different types of geocaches, I've tried close and far geocaches, and sometimes I just cannot get the compass icon to return. The option is just not there. I REALLY need the compass feature, so if anyone can tell me why this happens so I can fix it in the field, that would be fantastic.

I'm sure there's a logical explanation, but I just can't figure it out.

I sure wish this could be fixed. I really need the compass feature!

2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Yes! It inconsistently disappears. I can't find any rhyme or reason! Just recently, like 6 weeks ago. Never before.

It disappears when you're on a cache details screen?  Do the icons on either side of it (car and ...) remain, so you just have a patch of green between them?

That's so odd. Hhmmm. I'm going to open the app more often to see if I can get it to disappear too.

Are you running app version 5.13.0?

Edited by noncentric
13 hours ago, noncentric said:

It disappears when you're on a cache details screen?  Do the icons on either side of it (car and ...) remain, so you just have a patch of green between them?

That's so odd. Hhmmm. I'm going to open the app more often to see if I can get it to disappear too.

Are you running app version 5.13.0?

Ugh. I just know an update will crash my cheap phone. I'll give it a try.