Moved geocache

dastoryteller

I was walking along the paved trail in my local park today and saw an ammo can lying about 3 feet off the trail. I thought it looked like a geocache container, but was clearly not hidden. Upon opening it I found that it was, indeed, once upon a time, a geocache, but a muggle had taken it home to investigate what it was and didn't return it properly. The paperwork inside did not include any logs, except for a note from the muggle, and although it had the Geocaching.com standard paperwork stating what it was and how to play the game, it was not filled out as far as who the owner was or any other contact information. Not only this, but the muggle placed the original, tupperware container inside of the ammo can, included a knife and bullets in the cache, and left a slightly rude note. How do I get this cache back to its original owner?

31 minutes ago, dastoryteller said:

How do I get this cache back to its original owner?

Good question. When I've found caches without the name or GC code anywhere on/in the container, I've used the names and dates on the log to identify them. But you don't have that either.

You've found caches already, so you know the basics, maybe getting the rough coordinates of that park area would give a clue.

Often, a cacher will place a couple hides along an area, and it's possible that by clicking on Cache Owner profiles local to those coordinates, (maybe looking at archived too, since it could have been gone a while) might give a clue.     :)

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, dastoryteller said:

Not only this, but the muggle placed the original, tupperware container inside of the ammo can, included a knife and bullets in the cache, and left a slightly rude note. How do I get this cache back to its original owner?

It could be two different geocaches from the same park. Without the owners information, I'd just keep it or donate it.

I suppose you could take pictures of the contents and post it, along with the coordinates where you found it, on the facebook page for the local geocaching group, and maybe to the appropriate regional forum here.  But I think that would be going well beyond the extra mile, as it sounds like anything that would normally help identify which geocache this was, has been removed.

I'm more with the possum on this: hang onto it.  Consider reusing it as a geocache of your own, and that way you're still making it available to the community.

Ok, so I looked at this a little closer and here's what I've got. The note inside is dated Oct 12, '14 and signed "Grunty old fart". I don't know if it is a joke or what, but that's what it says. The coordinates where I found the cache are: 42 01.159N 093 37.892W. Also I took pictures which were too big to upload here, but you can view them on this Google doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/12JASlM302d9WBct3_-wbxFT1jK4MsV9q9Tx2yMKOdlk/edit?usp=sharing. Let me know if anything looks familiar. Thanks!

It might have been a previous container for GC1186. That cache was found on October 9, 2014, and then the container apparently went missing and had to be replaced. There's nothing in the listing or logs stating that it was or is an ammo can, but it's listed as Regular, which is the correct size for an ammo can. There are also mentions of muggles stumbling upon the cache in a number of logs.

• Upvote 1

Agree with A-Team, that's also close to the coordinates too. Couldn't find any archived the same...

Can't hurt to email the CO, simply asking if he knows anything about a 30cal ammo can and a small plastic container missing (that you found), though not giving it's color and all away, unless you want to just get rid of it.  :)