How do I get a "missing" TB back in circulation?

Agents Mulder & Scully

Many years ago, a friend got a TB out of a cache, then gave it to us to move along (we were going out of state). We misplaced it, and it resurfaced YEARS later when we were moving. We are now in Thailand, brought the TB with us, and dropped it in a cache here. Went to the TB's page, and see that the owner marked it "missing" in 2010. We logged that we "discovered" it, but this did not put the TB in our inventory. The cache our friend got it from is now archived. I have no idea how to get this TB into my inventory so I can drop it in it's new cache. Any ideas?

1 hour ago, Agents Mulder & Scully said:

Many years ago, a friend got a TB out of a cache, then gave it to us to move along (we were going out of state). We misplaced it, and it resurfaced YEARS later when we were moving. We are now in Thailand, brought the TB with us, and dropped it in a cache here. Went to the TB's page, and see that the owner marked it "missing" in 2010. We logged that we "discovered" it, but this did not put the TB in our inventory. The cache our friend got it from is now archived. I have no idea how to get this TB into my inventory so I can drop it in it's new cache. Any ideas?

Is the TB physically still in the cache where you placed it?  I so, and if you still know the tracking number, you can make special logs to "Grab" the TB, then "Drop" it into the cache, and then all should be in order:

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=30&pgid=151

Once you Grab it, it's shown in your Inventory.  You can edit your existing cache log, and select that TB from the list at the bottom of the log form, to Drop it.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Agents Mulder & Scully said:

I can't see your profile to view your trackables found, comes up a 404 error for me (that ampersand thing I guess...), to see what other trackable experiences you may have had over the years. 

As kunarion says, you can Grab it if you still have the code to do so (to show possession) , then Drop it into the cache (to show it's current location). 

No offense, but Discovering a trackable, yet still taking it with you, then losing it...  kinda says (to me) that it might be better to allow another to "correct" it whenever they find it in that cache.  We've "fixed" almost a hundred now..  Chalk it up to a learning experience, while realizing you saved a trackable that was listed as missing for some time.  If the CO is still playing in this hobby, they'll probably be tickled too.   :)

Ever bored, here's everything you ever wanted to know about Trackables from the Help Center.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Soon the owner will change the "Missing" status... probably. Then you will be able to move it.

Sorry, but this answer is wrong.  Kunarion posted correct information.  You need to have the TrackingNumber to post the "Grab". if you don't have the TN or can't get it, you'll just have to let the next person who takes it fix the logging.  A "Discover" log means that you saw it, but didn't take it; that's why it wasn't put in your inventory.

I know this is old but I was reading it and trying to work out exactly what happened when you took it off your friend in the first place to "move along".  Did you not put it into your own inventory way back then?  Or did it remain in your friend's inventory all those years you had it in your possession?  Just curious.  If it was still in your friend's inventory then surely it would have been simple to grab it off them?  And then the fact the cache they got it out of has been archived since wouldn't make any difference?  Or did your friend not log it out of that cache and into their own inventory way back then?

Edited by EmzyJanezy