How Long For Your Cache To Get Published???

Longshot_T_YT

With some technical difficulties, I have just hid and submitted my first cache! I am definitely being impatient and checking for a notification on my phone every 5 minutes that says my cache got published.( That is not the point though, lol) I am wondering how long it will take for my cache to get published. I have seen several different wait times but am yet to find a definitive answer. I am aware of "If your cache has been waiting over a week, send an email" but I am still confused. I live in the New Jersey area and if anyone could give me their experience I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Jack

It depends on a lot of factors:

- If another CO submitted a power trail of 100 caches before you submitted your cache, it might take longer

- If things are slow (not many new caches being submitted), it might take less time

- If the volunteer reviewer has an emergency project at work and has to work extra hours, it might take longer

- If the reviewer is home sick, but still is well enough to haunt GC and review caches, it might take less time

Etc. ;)

So, no - there is no definitive answer.

• Upvote 1

Questions:

1) Do you see it here - account/dashboard/unpublishedcaches, under the header  Your Geocaches Waiting for Review  ?

2) When you look at your cache page on the site, at the top, in a green pane do you see the message:

Your cache has been submitted for review.    

3) Did you receive the two emails that are sent on every cache submission? one is the owner submit, and one is the owner reviewer  note log:

From noreply@Geocaching.com

To: your email that this site has

Subject: [LOG] Owner: Your UerName submitted Name of Cache  (Not Published) (Traditional Cache) to be published

Your Cache Name  (GCxxxxx) has a new log:

Logged by: Your User Name
    Log Type: Submit for Review
    Date: Mar/14/2018
    Type:  Cache Type

Log:
Original Cache Location: Cache's Coords

There are two of these, the other is the reviewer note you wrote at time of submitting.

I ask because this verifies that you DID save it and submit it, and because any logs by a reviewer,  asking questions or wanting changes, will come to that same email address. A common issue is that people don't check whatever email address they gave the site (a throwaway address, used just to get the verification code), or their service provider decides that "noreply@geocaching.com" = spam.

The expectation/hope, is that all caches are at least read and responded to within the first week.  The email on submit used to explain that, it no longer does. Seems an odd loss.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

This is the "Getting Started" forum.  Let's not mislead new geocachers who might be under the common mistaken impression that Community Volunteer Reviewers actually check out the cache location prior to publication.  Save the inside jokes for the Geocaching Topics forum or keep them to yourself.

Back to our regularly scheduled discussion, I see that the OP's cache has already been published and found!  Thanks to Isonzo Karst for her helpful advice.

• Upvote 4
36 minutes ago, Keystone said:

This is the "Getting Started" forum.  Let's not mislead new geocachers who might be under the common mistaken impression that Community Volunteer Reviewers actually check out the cache location prior to publication.  Save the inside jokes for the Geocaching Topics forum or keep them to yourself.

Back to our regularly scheduled discussion, I see that the OP's cache has already been published and found!  Thanks to Isonzo Karst for her helpful advice.

Thank you for clearing that up. This had me wondering who the reviewer was in my area.

On 3/13/2018 at 10:30 PM, Manville Possum said:

Sometimes it depends on the weather. If it's cold and snowing they may wait a few days before going out to check it before publishing. :rolleyes:

As this is the "Getting Started" forum I think that it should be mentioned that this is not true.  Reviewers do not go out and check on caches before publishing.  If they did, the amount of time from submission to publication would be a *lot* longer and I suspect that many reviewers would find something else to do to volunteer their time. 

On 3/14/2018 at 1:56 PM, Keystone said:

If I were a moderator I probably would have deleted that posting as well.  Wait, Isonzo Karst is a "her"?  Didn't know that.

On 3/14/2018 at 11:51 AM, Manville Possum said:

That's how I get FTF's. I follow the tracks left in the snow. Do you really think a reviewer would publish a geocache without checking it first? :rolleyes:

This has got me a little worried.

I’m planning a fairly intricate series of caches with a lot of personal meaning to them. But I’m planning on one of them being on an island in the middle of a large river. Only acccessible by motorboat, canoe, kayak, or (if you’re up for it) paddlebaord. Swimming definitely not a good idea.

A lot of people in the area do have motorboats for recreation or fishing on this river. Hopefully the reviewer does?