Geocaching with a health problem

GilmourFamily

We haven't been Geocaching for a while and it was due to the result of my new medical problem - A slipped disc in my back. I actually cried more because I knew it was going to effect my Geocaching hobby and we discovered it less than a year ago. We have only just started Geocaching again and on small walks as I am having a lot of pain problems despite being on high painkillers including morephene.

Whilst I am waiting to find something to be done about my problem it got me thinking of others who have medical problems and how it may effect their Geocaching experience.

I would like to know if you do have a medical problem and if it effects your caching like it does with me. If it upsets those you go Geocaching with and if it limits your experience. I am sure I am not the only one. 

What would help you if a cache owner were to know as well- aside from checking the disability attribute. 

Thank you 

• Upvote 3

As a senior dolphin with several medical problems:  DDD, AAA, emphysema, sciatica &c, I find that exercise is a great thing for me!  I need to get out and exercise.  and geocaching is great for that.  I especially like finding lonely caches.  Four miles with a 700' climb?  I can do that!  And find a cache not found in two years!  Not as goods as I used to was hiking, but I hit 70 last year.  Geocaching keeps me going.

• Upvote 6
16 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

As a senior dolphin with several medical problems:  DDD, AAA, emphysema, sciatica &c, I find that exercise is a great thing for me!  I need to get out and exercise.  and geocaching is great for that.  I especially like finding lonely caches.  Four miles with a 700' climb?  I can do that!  And find a cache not found in two years!  Not as goods as I used to was hiking, but I hit 70 last year.  Geocaching keeps me going.

WOW!!!! Thanks for sharing that! Congratulations, you inspire me! 

23 minutes ago, garyo1954 said:

Thank you.

He hasn't tried to talk me out of much, but if he had I'd listen.
Some days are good; some days you come out of treatment and sleep 10-12 hours to recuperate.

Thats great and I can't compare how it is of course but I have also bad and good days- usually when I have done too much I have a bad day the next day! I am learning though :) Thank you for sharing. Jen

• Upvote 1

C-spine disc replacements (plural), torn rotator cuff and DDD in L-S spine. The only concessions I've made are now, I use a walking stick if I'm not doing urban caching, and I make sure I have a cell phone with me.

In addition, I don't do a lot of bad weather hunts like I used to, simply because it makes me more uncomfortable and achy afterwards.

Enjoy, but don't push yourself if you think it might endanger your back.

• Upvote 4
10 hours ago, ladyleo191 said:

C-spine disc replacements (plural), torn rotator cuff and DDD in L-S spine. The only concessions I've made are now, I use a walking stick if I'm not doing urban caching, and I make sure I have a cell phone with me.

In addition, I don't do a lot of bad weather hunts like I used to, simply because it makes me more uncomfortable and achy afterwards.

Enjoy, but don't push yourself if you think it might endanger your back.

Thank you for sharing that with me. I can imagine you do have to take care whilst Geocaching. I have been very careful when Geocaching and I stop when I am coming to my limit. 

As a recreational therapist, I have cached with people with disabilities both for clinical therapy as well as recreational fun.  I am so happy to see the comments in this thread!  I believe nearly anyone can participate in Geocaching with a bit of creativity.  Happy trails!

• Upvote 1

Working with various conservation groups that are proactive in making these areas accessible to people with disabilities,  I've gained a whole new prospective on the subject and it's something that's carried over into my geocaching.   Although some of the trails I have caches on are probably not accessible to each and every one my hides usually are.

In fact we're in the process of building a handicapped accessible trail to a platform on a pond bordering our property.    I've already been given permission to place a cache there when it's finished.   

Even with some physical disabilities there are still many caches out there for you to get.    I hope you find them all.   Good luck. 

16 hours ago, VanillaCricket said:

I am brand new and haven't even found one yet. I have a failed back fusion, neck fusion, fibromyalgia and spondylitis. I am going for it. Walking is hard but since I am an avid artifact hunter this will be right up my alley:):)

You will have to let us know when you find your first cache :) 

16 hours ago, justintim1999 said:

Working with various conservation groups that are proactive in making these areas accessible to people with disabilities,  I've gained a whole new prospective on the subject and it's something that's carried over into my geocaching.   Although some of the trails I have caches on are probably not accessible to each and every one my hides usually are.

In fact we're in the process of building a handicapped accessible trail to a platform on a pond bordering our property.    I've already been given permission to place a cache there when it's finished.   

Even with some physical disabilities there are still many caches out there for you to get.    I hope you find them all.   Good luck. 

I think this is great, thank you for sharing. I am sure local cachers will love this when it goes live.