downloading onto gps device - help!

triplespies

33 minutes ago, triplespies said:

hello. i have an etrex 10, and have downloaded the garmin communicator plug in, but every time i try and send information to my gps device it tells me that i don't have the plug in. very frustrating! can anyone please help/advise?

thank you.

Don't bother with the obsolete Garmin Comminucator plugin.  You'll find hundreds of Forum posts about it, or read this.  The Forum posts describe ways that people still configure it to function, and excellent reasons that it's best to move on :cute:.  If you can't pay for Geocaching membership, yet can pay for helper software (and if you enjoy setting up helper software), and if you have a serial-interface GPS that you can't load manually, other software is the way to go.

For an Etrex 10, you can place a GPX file manually into its Garmin/GPX folder.  On any cache page click the button labeled "GPX File", and save the file.  I usually save them wherever the browser likes (such as Downloads onto my PC), then drag the file into the GPS.  But you could select "Save As" and tell it to save directly into the desired folder.

Don't shell out cash until you're sure Geocaching suits you. But if you become a paying member, you can use Pocket Queries which give you large files of caches, or use "Lists" with Garmin Express and load hundreds of caches with a couple of clicks.  If you have a Garmin GPS, you should be using Garmin Express anyway, since that's how to get firmware updates.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1