Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
badger10

Free unzip?

Recommended Posts

I have tried using the My lists section to download my pocket query to my GPS62stc. When I try to send the PC to my Garmin I get a message from WinZip that I need to purchase their program as my trial edition has expired. What unzip program do you use? I used easygps to send the list to my gps but when I try to look at the caches it says that there is none.  My gps shows the file from easygps like it always has. Any suggestions?   

Share this post


Link to post

What operating system? For Windows, I like 7-Zip. It is free and open source. But for Windows 7 or later, you don't even need a zip/unzip program unless you like it better. How to unzip folders with Windows.

Pretty sure than in XP, you can right-click on a zip file and "Extract all."

I don't understand the second part of your question, maybe because I don't use easygps.

Edited by msrubble
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Easiest way I have found.

Geocaching.com will send an email with the zip file.
Download the zip from the email.
Click on it.
You'll get the screen below.
Click EXTRACT. Then click EXTRACT ALL.
Select the folder to extract.

(Make sure your Garmin shows up as a mass storage device)

On the computer, open folder where you extracted the files.

Copy the files.

Open the GPS, the Garmin folder, then the GPX folder and paste.

(I'm using Base Camp, can't help with Easy GPS)
 





 

 

extract.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, badger10 said:

I have tried using the My lists section to download my pocket query to my GPS62stc. When I try to send the PC to my Garmin I get a message from WinZip that I need to purchase their program as my trial edition has expired. What unzip program do you use? I used easygps to send the list to my gps but when I try to look at the caches it says that there is none.  My gps shows the file from easygps like it always has. Any suggestions?   

 

Is this on a Windows 10 PC?  The most recent versions of Windows can "unzip" without any extra software, as msrubble said. 

"WinZip" comes with some PCs pre-installed, and it tends to become installed with other software.  After that happens, it takes over, and then asks for payment.  If you delete WinZip, you will then return to using the system's zip handler.  That might fix your whole problem.

Are you using "Send To Garmin" with your Lists?  This uses Garmin Express, and the files are installed directly onto the GPS without "unzip" needed.

If you're using Pocket Queries, they arrive zipped.  As mentioned, unzip to typically two GPX files, place them into the "Garmin/GPX" folder of your GPS.

Edited by kunarion

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/10/2018 at 8:22 PM, kunarion said:

"WinZip" comes with some PCs pre-installed, and it tends to become installed with other software.  After that happens, it takes over, and then asks for payment.  If you delete WinZip, you will then return to using the system's zip handler.  That might fix your whole problem.

I second this. I had been annoyed so many times by both WinZip and 7-Zip before I discovered Windows handles zip files natively. I think even windows 7 supports .zip files. My kids moved out a few years ago, so it's been a while since the last time some random game installed 7-Zip and then told it to take over from the much cleaner way windows handles archives, and I still find 7-Zip lurking in the shadows ready to jump out and try again.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

I am using Windows 10. I used " Send To Garmin".  It was sent to my gps but they were not unzipped. It shows the file is there but the gps says no caches are loaded.  I also tried the extract as Garyo1954 suggested and it shows Extract and when I click on it all the options area shaded out and not available.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, badger10 said:

I am using Windows 10. I used " Send To Garmin".  It was sent to my gps but they were not unzipped. It shows the file is there but the gps says no caches are loaded.  I also tried the extract as Garyo1954 suggested and it shows Extract and when I click on it all the options area shaded out and not available.

Regarding the extract.  I am using Windows 10 and see greyed out folder names above "Extract", but I also see an "Extract All" button to the right. Perhaps that will help you to get to the unzipped files.

gc-zipfolder.png.92862e886049f94158a2141968018d93.png

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, badger10 said:

I am using Windows 10. I used " Send To Garmin".  It was sent to my gps but they were not unzipped. It shows the file is there but the gps says no caches are loaded.  I also tried the extract as Garyo1954 suggested and it shows Extract and when I click on it all the options area shaded out and not available.

 

Did Pocket Queries previously work fine? Your process as you describe it is not the way to load Pocket Queries, but maybe you're simply describing things you've tried.  It's possible there's a rare database issue on your GPS.  You could start by deleting all files in the "Garmin/GPX" folder of your GPS (backup all files first).  Then try to load PQs again.  If it has always worked fine before, that may help.

Have you uninstalled Winzip? If you do, your PC should revert to using free unzip, the feature that is built into Windows. You'll be able to double-click to extract it into a temporary folder where you can then copy/paste, or right-click to select where to unzip it, or use the file explorer as noncentric mentions.

You also don't need “Easy GPS” to load Pocket Queries. Just like Winzip, EasyGPS also gets in the way, but at least it's free. But unless you have a specific purpose for EasyGPS, uninstall it. Pocket Queries can be loaded at least two pretty easy ways without any software, except for in one case, Garmin Express, which is handy since it is how you get firmware updates. So remove EasyGPS and Winzip, and install Garmin Express, and you're ready to start loading large numbers of caches at once in one of two ways. For example, “Send To Garmin” works without any "ZIP" files required, and only with "Lists".

Remove Winzip, and now it won't ask for money to upgrade. And now Windows can unzip for free as you asked. Then you can double-click a ZIP file to extract a Pocket Query file, select its typically two GPX files and drag the files into the “Garmin/GPX” folder of your Garmin GPS. Or use "Lists" and "Send To Garmin" (specifically that feature not to be confused with the "Send To My GPS" button on a cache page, which likely doesn't work anymore).  "Lists" and "Pocket Queries" are connected in several ways, yet each has its purpose.  They are good to learn.

 

 

Edited by kunarion

Share this post


Link to post

That did the trick. I uninstalled both programs and it worked both ways you described. I never had a problem before loading PQ's. I recharged my batteries and hooked it up to the pc and Garmin installed a new update. That is when everything stopped working. Thanks for the assist.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, badger10 said:

That did the trick. I uninstalled both programs and it worked both ways you described. I never had a problem before loading PQ's. I recharged my batteries and hooked it up to the pc and Garmin installed a new update. That is when everything stopped working. Thanks for the assist.

 

I'm glad you got it working! :D

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, kunarion said:

Have you uninstalled Winzip? If you do, your PC should revert to using free unzip, the feature that is built into Windows.

I'm glad to hear this, but my experience with these unzip utilities was that uninstalling the foreign unzip program just left windows saying "no such application" when I tried to open one. The old links weren't cleared up, so I had to go in manually and remove them before windows would revert to it's native handling. Fortunately, it wasn't hard to find a web page explaining how to do that. But this was years ago, and, besides, I think it was 7-Zip, not winzip, so your mileage may vary.

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, dprovan said:

I'm glad to hear this, but my experience with these unzip utilities was that uninstalling the foreign unzip program just left windows saying "no such application" when I tried to open one. The old links weren't cleared up, so I had to go in manually and remove them before windows would revert to it's native handling. Fortunately, it wasn't hard to find a web page explaining how to do that. But this was years ago, and, besides, I think it was 7-Zip, not winzip, so your mileage may vary.

 

Yeah, that could certainly happen.  I have to go find the settings occasionally, wherever Windows has hidden them in the current version.  Here's a page of detailed info for the ZIP files.

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

×