Can geocaches be loaded wirelessly from a iPad to a GPS

stanleyw

I have been reading about paperless geocaching and am not sure if caches can be loaded wirelessly from IPad or phone. I like using a GPS because my phone doesn’t stay charged long and we geocache in places with no cellular reception. I have a Garmin that is about 5 years old, but am considering buying a new one if t can be loaded wirelessly.

"Paperless caching" has been around since some folks carried PDAs along with their GPSrs.   Exchanged paper for batteries I guess...  

IIRC, the gamin 700 series is what's hot right now.  Last I looked around 350+ bucks.  As RuideAlmeida says, there are others. 

My GPSr is over ten years old and still fine so I'll wait, since notepads in bulk from Ollie's are around 4 bucks.   :)

• Upvote 1

Good question!

My first question would be why would need to connect the Garmin to an IPad or phone if it had wireless connectivity?
Why not just drop in at a hotspot (or use a home wifi) and download directly to the GPS?

With that in mind, I searched for a GPS with WIFI capability.

Garmin has/had the Nuvi 295W. Not so good. Reviews say the browser is sloooooowwwwww, and battery life is about 4 hours. (and it's not really a walkaround in the woods unit).

Cerberus response answers my question. Garmin says,  "all of the new Oregon handhelds will have wireless integration with Geocaching.com for Geocaching Live. Users will be able to wirelessly download cache descriptions, logs and hints, even if they’re out in the field. Once a geocache is logged as found, it will be automatically uploaded to the user’s Geocaching.com profile. Premium Geocaching.com members will also be able to sync their geocaching lists directly to their device. Users can even use the LiveTrack feature to broadcast their location to family and friends and let them know they’ll be the first to find a new geocache."

Good stuff!

With all said... I think the best solution (since you are PM) is to create several PQ's and install them in your GPS via USB.

Of course, this needs some planing, some homework prior to going out.

My first suggestion applies mainly in those situations where you are in the field with other players, they have a given cache (or waypoints) that your unit misses. Using the bluetooth on both units (if available) will let you transfer it.

If your Garmin supports Geocaching Live!.... Just awesome!!!

• Upvote 3
20 hours ago, stanleyw said:

I have been reading about paperless geocaching and am not sure if caches can be loaded wirelessly from IPad or phone. I like using a GPS because my phone doesn’t stay charged long and we geocache in places with no cellular reception. I have a Garmin that is about 5 years old, but am considering buying a new one if t can be loaded wirelessly.

There are many threads in this Forum on how to load a GPS from iPads and phones.  Any such plan requires extra equipment and has its own unique challenges.  I have a cheesy USB Wifi router that works with my Droid, and which required a questionable Chinese App that can't see the internal GPS files, only the SD card.  And more than half the time, it doesn't work when I actually need it.

After all that, I would consider a portable Windows PC, one of the pocket-sized self-contained tablets with a USB port, which are less than $100 (one I'm looking at is about $60).  It will also be cheesy. But this way files can be moved and managed from one device, and all it needs is a wifi connection, such as a connection to a phone.  It might even run some handy utilities.

Edited by kunarion