Premium member only caches

Aer72

3 hours ago, aer72 said:

Are you saying you cannot cope with maintenance?

No.  I'm saying that maintenance on the caches I have listed as examples would certainly go up, not due to maintenance of the container (logs are big/long and the containers are good ones) but rather the maintenance of the game pieces due most likely to swag trades, which would then render the final in the series unfindable.  In and of themselves, I would have never published these caches as traditional caches.  There's nothing overly interesting about the locations, other than that they were available and close to home, or the actual cache container itself (spray painted regular size lock n locks with one decon container). The ONLY reason I published them was because of the game pieces idea behind the series.  I get that most cachers who opt to do these caches will do so (and have done so) as traditional finds, but I hid these caches for the cachers looking for something a bit different than run of the mill hides.  Is it exclusionary?  Yes, but at an estimated cost of 125$ for 6 caches, I feel it's warranted to protect my investment in a manner that will keep the caches in the field longer and the costs down.

4 hours ago, aer72 said:

Thanks for replies even though I disagree with most of them

What replies do you agree with?  What makes sense (for you) for PMO caches?

3 hours ago, niraD said:

It sounds to me like he can cope with maintenance just fine... when the cache is PMO.

Seriously, that's where you're going to go?  Initially I said only 16 of my 59 caches are PMO, meaning 43 are for all cachers.  The total is up to 61 now, meaning I have 45 caches that all cachers can go find.  Are you implying, then, that I can't do maintenance on those 45 other caches? That's the inference I made when I saw this.  Have you looked to see if ANY of my caches have any maintenance issues?  Two are disabled by me because the city has removed two sculptures that make them unfindable.  Other than that, not a red wrench to be found.  Please don't put words in my mouth when there's no proof to support your opinion in this situation.

I only make basic caches, but I also only keep the amount that I can take care of well.  It's a lot better for new players to have some basic ones to find before they sign up for a premium account.  I have a premium account myself, which also renews automatically every year, but my kids are getting into caching, and they like to have their own account, so from that point of view, too, it's nice to have basic caches around, because while 30 per year isn't much, 60, 90, 120, starts to add up.  (They're not old enough to work yet.)  Anyway, that's my two cents.  I don't mind premium caches, but I certainly don't want that to be all there is.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, coachstahly said:

Seriously, that's where you're going to go?

I'm confused.

How is what I wrote different from what you wrote?

9 hours ago, niraD said:

It sounds to me like he can cope with maintenance just fine... when the cache is PMO.

5 hours ago, coachstahly said:

No.  I'm saying that maintenance on the caches I have listed as examples would certainly go up, not due to maintenance of the container (logs are big/long and the containers are good ones) but rather the maintenance of the game pieces due most likely to swag trades, which would then render the final in the series unfindable.  In and of themselves, I would have never published these caches as traditional caches.  There's nothing overly interesting about the locations, other than that they were available and close to home, or the actual cache container itself (spray painted regular size lock n locks with one decon container). The ONLY reason I published them was because of the game pieces idea behind the series.  I get that most cachers who opt to do these caches will do so (and have done so) as traditional finds, but I hid these caches for the cachers looking for something a bit different than run of the mill hides.  Is it exclusionary?  Yes, but at an estimated cost of 125$ for 6 caches, I feel it's warranted to protect my investment in a manner that will keep the caches in the field longer and the costs down.

9 hours ago, niraD said:

And when it's not PMO?  The inference I made here is I can't cope with maintenance when it's not PMO.  Did I understand it wrong?  I'm thinking I must have, based on your confusion.

3 hours ago, coachstahly said:

And when it's not PMO?  The inference I made here is I can't cope with maintenance when it's not PMO.  Did I understand it wrong?  I'm thinking I must have, based on your confusion.

Isn't that what you meant when you said you made them PMO to reduce the extra maintenance of the game pieces, or that you were protecting your investment to keep the caches in the field longer and to keep the maintenance costs down? That sounds to me like making the cache PMO reduced the maintenance to a point where you could maintain it and keep it going longer.

6 hours ago, niraD said:

Isn't that what you meant when you said you made them PMO to reduce the extra maintenance of the game pieces, or that you were protecting your investment to keep the caches in the field longer and to keep the maintenance costs down? That sounds to me like making the cache PMO reduced the maintenance to a point where you could maintain it and keep it going longer.

Yes.  I read it as I could only keep up maintenance on PMO caches and NOT keep up with caches I placed for all finders.  My bad.

I believe my recent hide defaulted as PMO, but it was also my first one so I may have clicked it in haste.  The D/T was high enough that it really did not matter though.  As for free v pay, I am premium to support the business of it.  I encourage friends to try the free when they ask why I was in the woods all day.  

I prefer to seek out PMO because they often require a little less stealth and are off the beaten path a little more.  I am usually out with 2 kids and a dog, so stealth is not really an option.

Cost to maintain is a bit of a cop out to me.  I cleaned out a (non Rx) pill bottle, painted and placed.  Log book was a free printable found on line.  location is walking distance from home.  2 cans of paint were about $20, no idea what masking the stencil cost, container free.  I had waited until I had several to make at once, so I have a box of about a dozen now that are ready to go.

Geo1.JPG

26 minutes ago, StumblinMonk said:

Cost to maintain is a bit of a cop out to me.  I cleaned out a (non Rx) pill bottle, painted and placed.  Log book was a free printable found on line.  location is walking distance from home.  2 cans of paint were about $20, no idea what masking the stencil cost, container free.  I had waited until I had several to make at once, so I have a box of about a dozen now that are ready to go.

Not everyone places caches that are so easy and so inexpensive to replace.

But making several copies of a cache container or other game piece when you're already making one is often a good idea. I've done that myself, and I know others who have done the same thing when making complicated custom caches (e.g., caches with custom camouflage). Once you're set up to make one, the extra effort to make more is often relatively minor.

1 minute ago, niraD said:

Not everyone places caches that are so easy and so inexpensive to replace.

If you are taking the time to design, or have an expensive cache than place it in a location that will not lend it to easily getting destroyed.

Saving my ammo cans and other more fun finds until I find the right place for them.  I want D/T to be 2.5-3 at a minimum.  I am thinking of a state park near me that does not have any, but does allow, and kayaking to GZ.  I really do not care about log activity, I more want them to be fun to find.  I logged one over the weekend that was way up a hill, on a well kept trail, and had not been logged in 5 months.  I have taken my family out and run into other cachers when we do lower D/T or free caches, and it waters down the find when there are fresh tracks to it, or still in someone else's hand.  

7 hours ago, StumblinMonk said:

If you are taking the time to design, or have an expensive cache than place it in a location that will not lend it to easily getting destroyed.

Saving my ammo cans and other more fun finds until I find the right place for them.  I want D/T to be 2.5-3 at a minimum.  I am thinking of a state park near me that does not have any, but does allow, and kayaking to GZ.  I really do not care about log activity, I more want them to be fun to find.  I logged one over the weekend that was way up a hill, on a well kept trail, and had not been logged in 5 months.  I have taken my family out and run into other cachers when we do lower D/T or free caches, and it waters down the find when there are fresh tracks to it, or still in someone else's hand.  

Sometimes what we might consider a location that won't lead to destruction or being muggled isn't as straightforward as it appears.  I've found ammo cans muggled on trails that are off the beaten path.  There was absolutely NO reason for anyone to go where I had the final of the series I've referenced, yet it was muggled.  Cemetery caches go MIA, even though the cemetery isn't maintained by the township on a regular basis (or at all).  Just because a cache hasn't been logged in awhile doesn't mean it's muggle proof.

While I try to hide them where they're less likely to get taken or destroyed, there's no such thing as a fail safe hiding spot.  I hope for the best and plan for the worst.  I'm willing to replace a muggled cache, but only up to a certain point.

Cost for regular caches isn't really something that can overwhelm you, although losing a 20$ ammo can certainly stings.  The series I've referenced cost me an estimated 125$ to place initially and more to maintain it, should something happen.  The containers are, in this case, the least expensive part of the caches.

1 hour ago, coachstahly said:

Sometimes what we might consider a location that won't lead to destruction or being muggled isn't as straightforward as it appears.  I've found ammo cans muggled on trails that are off the beaten path.  There was absolutely NO reason for anyone to go where I had the final of the series I've referenced, yet it was muggled.

I'm constantly amazed at the out-of-the-way places muggles do go! I have a T4 hide that involves some 500 metres of pretty intense bush-bashing and rock-hopping through thick spikey scrub, yet when I was placing the cache I spotted the remains of a muggle campfire close by, complete with the obligatory broken beer bottle.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, StumblinMonk said:

I believe my recent hide defaulted as PMO, but it was also my first one so I may have clicked it in haste.

You clicked it. The default on both the CSP and the edit form is for the PMO box to be unchecked. You can uncheck it now, if you choose. It's on the edit form under the Placed date pane. And because you mentioned PA State parks, PA DNR doesn't allow PMO caches ( though you may already have known that).

---

To the original post - I have some PMO caches  rather randomly, and a couple that I made PMO precisely to cut down on novice finds (ammo cans that I was having to visit to CLOSE the lid, or put them back per coords and hint). I seriously wanted them out of the intro app. 

38 minutes ago, DaMetalStratGuy said:

I see some people complaining about app users. 

Is there a history of us (yes I use the app) being pirates?

There have been several examples of muggles downloading the app, finding a cache, and taking it home or hiding it at some other location.  They never took the time to learn anything about the hobby.

31 minutes ago, DaMetalStratGuy said:

Why would they do that though?

The teens who installed pokey-man got bored with it, and now they see another "treasure-finding" App, so they install it and gotta get all the treasure.  As mentioned, they missed the part about first learning about the hobby.

40 minutes ago, kunarion said:

The teens who installed pokey-man got bored with it, and now they see another "treasure-finding" App, so they install it and gotta get all the treasure.  As mentioned, they missed the part about first learning about the hobby.

I'm one of those teens who DIDNT play that pokemon game. That must have something to do with the cache etiquette/courtesy.......   

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, K13 said:

There have been several examples of muggles downloading the app, finding a cache, and taking it home or hiding it at some other location.  They never took the time to learn anything about the hobby.

1 hour ago, DaMetalStratGuy said:

Interesting.............. Why would they do that though?

We call them "weekend n done" kids.  Saw ads for the app when they were looking for pokemon go or similar.  

- Rarely bother to learn anything about any of the other games played, but the site insists on calling it a "real-world treasure hunting game", so they investigate.     

They find leaking pill bottles, and maybe a couple glad ware containers on their day out, some with trackables that they think is "the treasure".  They take them home as a souvenirs of their one day out, and return to league of legends...

We had a couple ammo cans taken and moved to another location, one was actually published.  That one and some others were returned when long-time players saw our stickers (from the hide swiped from) still on the outside of the cans.  Most were right alongside trails.  Didn't even have to be a cacher to spot an ammo can barely in the grass...

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, K13 said:

Not just teens, and not even necessarily the app.  There was a cache around here that a photographer on a photo shoot accidentally found.  There was nothing in the cache except the log and a Travel Bug.  Reading the TB instructions about traveling, he took the whole cache and hid it somewhere else, having no clue about the use of coordinates--evidently he thought that caches were found by just happening on them, the way he did.  So now that cache container with TB is "somewhere in Alaska."

• Upvote 1

Premium membership (or pay for play) gives you a lot more than access to PMO caches and the $30/year it costs is well worth it.  If you can't afford the $30/year, well ok, I guess that comes down to your priorities, and it is no barrier to playing the game.  I think you'd have to play for a while to see what those advantages are and if you want them.   Most folks start out with a free membership and then pay up when they want "more", which seems sensible to me.  The game has a "learning curve", like any activity, and part of it is learning the customs (sign the log, replace the cache as found, don't take something without a trade, don't post a "spoiler" photo, close the ziplock...).  Cache owners get to experience the curve directly and repeatedly.  I generally list my caches as PMO to avoid that experience.  I don't have an opinion on whether PMO caches on average are any better than those open to everyone since I pay no attention to that distinction when hunting caches, but when placing caches I do... 

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:24 PM, garyo1954 said:

Reading different threads has caused me to question how many, and if, I should put these in a cache. They were out for people to take, but it would disheartening to go back, find a couple scribbles in the log and everything gone, and/or the cache trashed or missing.

There was once a cache released near the house late one night.  The cache owner said there were all sorts of goodies in the cache well above the normal "swag" and that he didn't mind if anyone swapped swag without using the "of equal value".  The area would have been difficult to get in and out of at night without causing a confrontation.  There were quickly 10 or so watchers on the list for that cache.  I decided to wait for dawn.  In that same time, other caches came into existence.  Pre-dawn, I got up and saw all the available unfound caches and made my route.  The last stop would be the "swag-laden" cache.  I would get there just as daylight broke and hopefully be first (not to swap, but cuz I love me some blank logs).  I think that day I got 3 other caches "first" and headed to this one.  As I pulled up, someone was walking briskly out of the wooded area with a pillow case.  I didn't recognize him, but he introduced himself.  He was so happy to have been "first" and now be able to make it to work on time if only he sped off.  He did.  I didn't bother to go look in the cache, because I could tell he had a bag full.  However, I did wait for his log.  It was entertaining to say the least... something to the effect of "I saw all that swag and I just couldn't help myself, I took it all!!!"  I was pretty well disgusted with just that....  I did have fun with it though on several levels.

So much more to the story though that makes it much more entertaining.

Long story short though, I wouldn't put a bunch of hand crafted necklaces into a cache unless you were explicit on the cache page and using a premium designation - or at least one that requires a decent amount of effort to get to either through a puzzle or terrain rating.

We've had a cache maggot destroy a bunch of caches around here from time to time, and post photos of the crushed caches in logs..... we make our trads that are close to roads PMO to stop these vandals from (easily) finding them.....

On 3/10/2018 at 6:23 PM, Aer72 said:

I find it incredibly unfriendly that someone would want to make a 'premium only' cache for many reasons:

1) The hider would have less logs.
2) It limits new cachers involvement in geocaching.
3) It could keep a Tb from going to hands that could complete its goal.
4) The cache condition can not be commented on and could ruin it.
5) It stops enjoyment which is what geocaching is all about.

While I appreciate the sentiment that this may seem unfriendly and understand why you would think this and also respect your opinion I found the following unfriendly

I had 4 caches all open to basic members and within a one week period all 4 were stolen along with a number of others in the area, the replacements were also stolen or vandalized, I had taken considerable time and care over creating these without the costs involved as a result any I now publish will be for premium members only to limit the opportunity for abuse.

It seems that every so often the basic caches in my area are being stolen / vandalized as such it doesn't really persuade me to keep paying out for caches and swag to start them off.

1) I appreciate that I may get less logs but I appreciate quality over quantity

2) I don't believe it limits new cacher's involvement as there are numerous caches available if anything it encourages people to take out memberships 

3) I keep a track of TB's in my caches and any that stay in place for too long I move on

4) A premium member is more likely to give a better insight into any maintenance needed or issues surrounding a cache rather than a inexperienced basic however if a cache is being properly maintained and checked then this isn't an issue

5) There are caches available to basic members so there is no loss of enjoyment if anything it gives progression and something to work towards becoming a premium and gaining access to more difficult caches thus enhancing enjoyment.

• Upvote 4
12 hours ago, Muxlow said:

1) I appreciate that I may get less logs but I appreciate quality over quantity

2) I don't believe it limits new cacher's involvement as there are numerous caches available if anything it encourages people to take out memberships 

3) I keep a track of TB's in my caches and any that stay in place for too long I move on

4) A premium member is more likely to give a better insight into any maintenance needed or issues surrounding a cache rather than a inexperienced basic however if a cache is being properly maintained and checked then this isn't an issue

5) There are caches available to basic members so there is no loss of enjoyment if anything it gives progression and something to work towards becoming a premium and gaining access to more difficult caches thus enhancing enjoyment.

1 - Sorry, but (to me) a lamp post or guardrail mkh made pmo has no more "quality" than any other.  

2 - We see this thinking often.  "There's plenty of other caches for the little people...  "

3 - As CO, you were keeping track of TBs in your caches when they were active.  That's great, but has nothing to do with premium membership.

4 - As one who's seen a lot otherwise, premium membership doesn't make one more knowledgeable, honest, or trustworthy.

5 - All basic members can go after any cache except those called pmo.  Those over 1.5 D/T are deemed "advanced", and a basic member can access them by simply using the site instead of the app.  Yes, even the "difficult" ones.   ;)

- Most in the hobby a while realize there's very little difference between a regular vs. pmo cache other than the CO made it one, and become a premium member for all the other benefits provided (PQs, lists, and notifications are a few).     :)

• Upvote 1

My children have been excited to go geocaching with me, and 2 of them got their own accounts. 1 of them paid for premium membership with allowance money, but the other younger one hasn't, and I control their account.

We've been doing a lot of geocaching lately for the hidden creatures thing and we've come across some PMO caches.

There's nothing special or different (better maintained, etc) about these caches when compared to all the non-PMO caches we've done, with 1 exception:

They're more annoying for me to log on my kid's non-PMO account!

One thing that I recently discovered about PMO caches is that you can view an "audit" of who viewed your cache description page, and when, and how many times. That's interesting. If I make a 5/5 cache someday I'd be tempted to make it PMO just so I could observe who is "working on it".

Edited by Korichnovui
1 hour ago, Korichnovui said:

...There's nothing special or different (better maintained, etc) about these caches when compared to all the non-PMO caches we've done, with 1 exception:

They're more annoying for me to log on my kid's non-PMO account!

One thing that I recently discovered about PMO caches is that you can view an "audit" of who viewed your cache description page, and when, and how many times. That's interesting. If I make a 5/5 cache someday I'd be tempted to make it PMO just so I could observe who is "working on it".

Do you use geocachingadmin ?    All you do is enter the GC # and click "log" for your non-pmo kid.  :)

Good luck with that so-called "audit".  :D

PQs, bookmarks, lists, heck IIRC just using a phone keeps you out of the website, which is needed to be on that audit.

-  Good for only the few who don't know how to bypass it.  ;)

Edited by cerberus1
addification

I just published my second cache after years of just being a finder.

My first a challenge cache, really wanted it to be a climbing cache but liability meant I had to place it accessible from the ground. The D/T was such only premium would have access. I still would have limited it as I wanted experienced and committed cacher to find.

The second cache I made D/T 1/1 specifically in mid to be open to all. Encourage new folks to come to a pretty area and maybe get hooked on this game. I hope it will survive but if not will maintain it if the community likes the cache and the location. 

I have an extended family member that only had basic membership who went caching in alaska with my folks premium members. Man were they so annoyed that they could not log the premium only cache that my folks found. They are in no way power cachers, or driven by padding their stats.  Personally I don't agree with the complaint the yearly fee is pretty low for what I get out of the game.

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:00 PM, cerberus1 said:

1 - Sorry, but (to me) a lamp post or guardrail mkh made pmo has no more "quality" than any other.  

2 - We see this thinking often.  "There's plenty of other caches for the little people...  "

3 - As CO, you were keeping track of TBs in your caches when they were active.  That's great, but has nothing to do with premium membership.

4 - As one who's seen a lot otherwise, premium membership doesn't make one more knowledgeable, honest, or trustworthy.

5 - All basic members can go after any cache except those called pmo.  Those over 1.5 D/T are deemed "advanced", and a basic member can access them by simply using the site instead of the app.  Yes, even the "difficult" ones.   ;)

- Most in the hobby a while realize there's very little difference between a regular vs. pmo cache other than the CO made it one, and become a premium member for all the other benefits provided (PQs, lists, and notifications are a few).     :)

Nicely said.    The whole "To PMO or not to PMO" comes down to what you're  trying to accomplish by hiding caches.   I try to make fun and interesting caches for two reasons.  To thank the caching community for all the great hides I've enjoyed but also to hook new cachers in the hopes they will become old cachers.  

It would be flattering if a new cacher became a premium member just so they could find my PMO caches (If I had any.)  It's more flattering when that same person freely becomes a premium member because of the enjoyment the experienced from finding my Non PMO caches.    A $30.00/yr premium membership is a small price to pay to support something you believe in and enjoy doing.    $30.00 may not seem like much,  but to some it is.  That's why I love the fact that anyone can enjoy this activity for free. 

The membership fee you pay every year, although important, isn't your greatest gift to GS.   IMO the caches you hide and maintain are what makes this activity great and are far more valuable.   That's why I believe those caches should be available to everyone.           

2 hours ago, coachstahly said:
7 hours ago, MNTA said:

Man were they so annoyed that they could not log the premium only cache that my folks found.

They can log premium only caches.  There's a back door method that allows it to happen.

This can be done easily from the Project GC Dashboardhttp://project-gc.com/Home/Dashboard.  (Just copy in the GC code and press ‘Log visit’.)

Edited by IceColdUK
7 hours ago, Gabeman26 said:

I'm a regular member but I've gotten 3-4 Premium caches. Harder to find w/o a description and no gps but I still found a few :P

My very first find was a PMO cache. I saw one close to home on the map, which disappeared when I zoomed in, but I thought... well, if it's hidden along that stretch of road, and is protected enough not to get stolen or picked up as rubbish, I have a pretty good idea where it must be. And it was. The "where would I hide it?" principle has served me well ever since.

• Upvote 1

I was thrilled there were Premium only caches when I first discovered them. I didn't know they existed when I started and found most of the near member caches. Then when I had found about 180 caches (the same time I bought a GPS; up to then I have been caching with printouts. No phone either.) I joined. And what a present I got; more caches near where I lived. Thrilling. I very much appreciated that I had not found all the caches, so yes, I am in favour of Premium member only caches. Earn them.

On 7/5/2018 at 11:12 PM, MNTA said:

My first a challenge cache, really wanted it to be a climbing cache but liability meant I had to place it accessible from the ground. The D/T was such only premium would have access. I still would have limited it as I wanted experienced and committed cacher to find.

The second cache I made D/T 1/1 specifically in mid to be open to all. Encourage new folks to come to a pretty area and maybe get hooked on this game. I hope it will survive but if not will maintain it if the community likes the cache and the location.

In case you weren't aware, the D/T restriction only limits Basic Members on the official app.  Basic Members can see all D/T levels of all non-PMO caches if they look for caches on the website.

Also, the official app restricts Basic Members from viewing caches that are not Traditionals or Events, so you don't need to fuss with the D/T ratings to keep your Mystery cache from Basic app users.  Your Mystery cache could be a 1/1 and Basic Members still couldn't see it on the app.

On 7/5/2018 at 11:12 PM, MNTA said:

I have an extended family member that only had basic membership who went caching in alaska with my folks premium members. Man were they so annoyed that they could not log the premium only cache that my folks found. They are in no way power cachers, or driven by padding their stats.  Personally I don't agree with the complaint the yearly fee is pretty low for what I get out of the game.

You may want to send them to:   geocachingadmin.com  -  Basic Members can log PMO caches by entering the GC Code and then clicking "Log"