Vote for best caches

Aer72

Just a crazy idea that might interest a few.

How about a vote for best new cache of the year in each county/ state/ province. Then the top three could then be displayed on the geocaching website.

Please reply if you have a point to make about this

aer72, please refrain from starting geocaching related topics in the Off Topic forum. Here is where they should be posted (the moderators have already moved two of your posts over)

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/forum/6-geocaching-topics/

As to your question about best caches, the geocaching blog does a write-up on the "Geocache of the Week" just scroll down a bit on this page:

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/

• Upvote 2

One of our regional Geocaching groups does have an annual vote for "Best Cache" in several categories (including best log which is usually quite entertaining!)  Don't see any reason to make yet another "thing" on Geocaching dot com.  I agree with L0ne.R about using project-gc to check out all sorts of fun stats about favorite caches.  

On 3/13/2018 at 3:20 PM, geocat_ said:

One of our regional Geocaching groups does have an annual vote for "Best Cache" in several categories (including best log which is usually quite entertaining!)

I don't believe my local group does the same. May I have the link to some of these "best log" winners? I'd be very interested in reading up on some well-written logs. 

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 0:24 PM, aer72 said:

How about a vote for best new cache of the year in each county/ state/ province. Then the top three could then be displayed on the geocaching website.

How would they be rated?  FPs?  Just total of responses?

We have 67 counties in my state alone.  Last I remember there were over 3100 counties just in the US.  Those "counties" include independent cities, parishes, and other names I don't remember.  :)   May be best to do something locally, as some above suggest.

19 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

May be best to do something locally, as some above suggest.

I agree.  Our local group has an annual event for this, the "Hideys," which recognize caches in different categories, overall best caches, and keeps an overall hall of fame.  One has to find a given cache to nominate it for voting and to vote for it.  It's a good local supplement to favorite points, and it's also a good excuse to get folks together, since it draws a bigger crowd than regular events.

On 3/14/2018 at 8:03 PM, TheLimeCat said:

I don't believe my local group does the same. May I have the link to some of these "best log" winners? I'd be very interested in reading up on some well-written logs. 

I don't think there is a list of these on any website.  

We do the Froggies event in metro Albuquerque every February to acknowledge local creativity.  My personal favorite categories are best cache by a new cacher, best first cache by a not-so-new cacher and the most aggravating cache. We used to do best log but many of them are long and unwieldy on a  ballot. We collect frogs all year long and the winners pick one and often use them for hides. One of the best is The Fairy Killer by Sandpig | GC46TBV ,

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:37 PM, cerberus1 said:

How would they be rated?  FPs?  Just total of responses?

We have 67 counties in my state alone.  Last I remember there were over 3100 counties just in the US.  Those "counties" include independent cities, parishes, and other names I don't remember.  :)   May be best to do something locally, as some above suggest.

I was reading a similar Thread about “encouragement for cache hiders”, but that one is more about a point system or something, I guess.

There's an annual award in Georgia for best cache. It's a vote by the committee of a local Geocaching group, maybe very active cachers who have pretty much found the stellar caches.  One year, my first cache was a nominee! I'm actually not certain the award occurs anymore. It's not something I've immediately noticed lately, anyway. That award covers a state. No reason a county or city group of cachers couldn't have their own award.

The thought of an “award” hasn't affected my caches. I still place caches that I think are pretty neat, when I think of some idea to try.  Maybe it would depend on how nice the “award” is. If it's a Stat Point on the web site, um, yeah. Stats are cool and all, but I don't really collect and cherish Points as much as many people do (maybe everyone else loves the idea). If it's instead a Caribbean cruise, maybe I need to put some of my more creative ideas into play. :)

Edited by kunarion
On 3/31/2018 at 11:07 PM, tealeaf said:

One of the best is The Fairy Killer by Sandpig | GC46TBV ,

Hmmm. A plastic toddler training toilet up a tree. Could have included a small size container but chose a nano instead. Must be fun to unscrew it and unfurl the tiny log and write on the tiny paper while hanging off of a tree.

The cache excludes most people except a few people who will/can climb a tree, and those happy to claim a find for a tree climb cache they did not retrieve but watched someone retrieve (or may not have watched either).   

Sandpig checked his cache and replaced the nano back in 2013. He posted an OM.  It was on the same day that the cache was posted in February 2018.

He demonstrates that he does know how to use the OM feature. 

Since then, more then  5 years later, there are no more OMs, or any indication that he has come back to check the cache. Which is rather odd since a nano scroll tends to fill up quickly and over 50 people have visited. Nano scrolls often end up wet and tattered and need to be replaced often. But they do seem to be a favorite choice by the owners who never intend to return. 

Edited by L0ne.R
grammar
8 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

Hmmm. A plastic toddler training toilet up a tree. Could have included a small size container but chose a nano instead. Must be fun to unscrew it and unfurl the tiny log and write on the tiny paper while hanging off of a tree.

The cache excludes most people except a few people who will/can climb a tree, and those happy to claim a find for a tree climb cache they did not retrieve but watched someone retrieve (or may not have watched either).   

Sandpig checked his cache and replaced the nano back in 2013. He posted an OM.  It was on the same day that the cache was posted in February 2018.

Since then, more then  5 years later, there are no more OMs. Which is rather odd since a nano scroll tends to fill up quickly and over 50 people have visited. Nano scrolls often end up wet and tattered and need to be replaced often. But they do seem to be a favorite choice by the owners who never intend on returning. 

Given that the award it won was for "Best Nano", I don't see how it could be anything else but one of those. Whether "best nano" is itself an oxymoron is of course a matter for debate.

• Funny 1

In this neck of the woods, Geocaching New South Wales awards a state-wide Geocache of the Month, based on nominations from the membership and voted on by the committee. Each year they also award a Geocache of the Year, the best of the best from the preceding twelve months.

Just north of here, the Hunter Valley group (HAVOC) has an annual Golden Cache award, with numerous subcategory trophies and a gold-painted ammo can for the overall winner. In 2015 they extended it into the Central Coast region where I live and I was thrilled to win equal first in the Mystery subcategory for my cache GC62WZJ (Quest for the Middle Sea Diamond). With its well-spread waypoints, two of which are boat access, it won't appeal to many but the 24 who've made the effort seemed to like it with its FP rate currently at 83%. It too has only had one OM logged in its three years of life, and that related to one of the virtual waypoints which Maritime Services removed and then replaced a year later in a slighly different spot, but the cache itself has never required maintenance. Its regular-sized jewelry-box container is hidden out of the weather deep inside a wind-eroded sandstone alcove and the 100-page A7 bound logbook is only up to page 4. Best of all, no-one's made off with the diamond! I took this photo just recently:

DSC_0130.jpg.cd63203c9c6b5b9f70b2af5fbd42148b.jpg

On 11/4/2018 at 1:11 PM, L0ne.R said:

Since then, more then  5 years later, there are no more OMs, or any indication that he has come back to check the cache. Which is rather odd since a nano scroll tends to fill up quickly and over 50 people have visited. Nano scrolls often end up wet and tattered and need to be replaced often. But they do seem to be a favorite choice by the owners who never intend to return. 

Why so negative?  Some cachers appreciate tree climb caches.  There aren't a lot of CO's that are willing to make the effort to hide one.  I see no reason that a cache has to be accessible to everyone in order to be a 'favorite' of a community.

And the logsheet.  One cacher said the log was full in mid-August, 2015.  Did not log an NM.  Three weeks later another cacher went ahead and replaced the log.  Should the CO go out and remove the log just to replace it with another identical logsheet?  Fast forward 3 years from the log replacement and you can see in photos from Sept-2018 that the log is in great shape with empty spaces remaining.  It looks like the logstrip hasn't even been unrolled completely by anyone yet.  As usual, cachers sign the outer portion first, so they don't have to roll/unroll as much.

Not every cache has to appeal to every cacher.

• Upvote 1