additional log for caches

TEAM BULLSGUT

I would like to see a log option that allows third party maintenance for caches whose owners have either died or are no longer involved in the game, many of these caches have accumulated favourite points or are being used in geotrail situations. This would allow anyone who performs maintenance on a cache that has a needs maint log to effectively negate it and not make it subject to be archived in the future

I would like to welcome this kind of community feature but I fear that it is not possible because it would be misused by placing more throwdowns which is not the intented way.

Do you know that some caches were archived in a good shape only because there was the maintenace flag on?

2 hours ago, TEAM BULLSGUT said:

I would like to see a log option that allows third party maintenance for caches whose owners have either died 

Are you sure those owners would want you to do that?

We do not want our caches propped up after death. Most of our caches have 10+ favorite points. I doubt anyone would live up to our standards. At least 2 maintenance visits per cache per year, for one. 

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, TEAM BULLSGUT said:

I would like to see a log option that allows third party maintenance for caches whose owners have either died or are no longer involved in the game, many of these caches have accumulated favourite points or are being used in geotrail situations. This would allow anyone who performs maintenance on a cache that has a needs maint log to effectively negate it and not make it subject to be archived in the future

A geotrail (whatever that is...) sure isn't what I'd deem special enough to go against the guidelines.  :)   We have a proper maintenance plan through the site.  If folks would use it, no one would be tempted to "help"  (I see niraD beat me to that link).

I've placed favorite points on long-archived caches.  They were my favorites.  A hundred favorite points on a piece-of-carp cache is the same as having none.  Mark it NM and move on... 

A good example of what some claim as "maintenance"  we saw last year.  Someone used a piece of a donut wrapper signed for their "smiley".  Their log said that they "helped" the CO.  Yeah, thanks for that...   Then we noticed they had that cut n paste addition in their log of, "thanks for placing and maintaining this cache".  :D