Got the GPS now......

garyo1954

If you downloaded the PQ, then you should have downloaded a GPX file, not a LOC file.

There are three steps to using PQs:

1. create the PQ (define the search parameters)
  2. run the PQ (use the search parameters to generate data)
  3. download the PQ (get the generated data on your device)

It sounds like you haven't run the PQ, but are downloading a LOC file from the preview page.

Anyway, there is more info about PQs in Markwell's FAQ:
http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

There is also some info in the Help Center article:
https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=7&pgid=118

• Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, niraD said:

If you downloaded the PQ, then you should have downloaded a GPX file, not a LOC file.

There are three steps to using PQs:

1. create the PQ (define the search parameters)
  2. run the PQ (use the search parameters to generate data)
  3. download the PQ (get the generated data on your device)

It sounds like you haven't run the PQ, but are downloading a LOC file from the preview page.

Anyway, there is more info about PQs in Markwell's FAQ:
http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

There is also some info in the Help Center article:
https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=7&pgid=118

Right!

Followed you and downloaded a file 20613551.zip.

Unzipped it shows 20613551.gpx and 20613551-wpts.gpx

Those are in my download folder.

Now what please niraD?

Should I just move the .gpx file to the GPX folder in the Garmin? (That's what I think I'm supposed to do, but thinking gets me in trouble.)

(The .loc file will open with notepad, giving the name of the cache and the coordinates and a reference back the page where its found.)

You are batting 1000!

6 hours ago, garyo1954 said:

Oh, I downloaded Garmin Express and the plugin too. Read the Garmin stuff, been through the help page, and maybe I'm missing something but there doesn't seem to be a straightforward step by step process. 

Is that the Garmin Communicator Plug-in you are referring to?  If so, assuming you are using an up-to-date browser, you may as well uninstall it as it won't work.  There are many forum threads discussing this.  The "Send to GPS" buttons on cache pages and the boxes that pop-up when clicking a cache icon on the map are features that don't work anymore unless you are using a really old browser version. 

You are already getting started using PQs as one of the ways Premium Members can transfer caches to the GPS but so you are aware, there are other two methods for Premium Members to download caches.

First, you can download them one at a time using the "GPX File" button on cache pages.  Like for PQs, you will need to move downloaded files to the GPX folder.  

The other method is using "Send to Garmin."  To do that, first add the caches you want to download to a List.  I created a list called "GPS Trasfers" for this purpose but you can use any lists you want, depending on how you like to parse your caches. From your dashboard go to your Lists.  To the right of each List there is a circle with 3 dots in it.  With your GPS connected to your computer click that circle next to the list you want to download and a pop-up will give you some choices.  Click "Send to Garmin" and the process will start.  Garmin Express will launch (allow it) and after a few seconds you should get a dialog box that the file is ready to download.  Click download and you should end up getting a Download Successful message.  The caches go to your GPS so unlike the other methods there is no need to move files.  This method works particularly well if the caches you want to transfer are outside the limitations of PQs (example: you can't PQ a specific cache owner's caches).

So now you can experiment with a couple more methods.  :D

icezebra11, I'll have to do this several times to get the hang of it. I tried doing what I did this afternoon and got the message I haven't made any lists. I should probably connect the Garmin and try again.

On the other hand I did get out and play with the GPS. The coordinates loaded. The descriptions loaded. So off I went to GPS locate a cache. 

I got within 5 feet. Couldn't find it. Turns out it was a micro (pill bottle).
I'll try again tomorrow.

The more I use this stuff the easier it will be. And the sooner the better.
I'll get to see what's being hidden in the area and try to add something different.

1 hour ago, garyo1954 said:

I tried doing what I did this afternoon and got the message I haven't made any lists.

Lists work differently than Pocket Queries, but a Garmin GPS can work with either or both.

Here's info on how to make "Lists": https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=7&pgid=283

Once you've saved caches in a list by picking one at a time, or by saving all the results in a search, then Garmin Express will manage the transfer.

• Upvote 1

kunarion, going to play with it some more this afternoon. Have no idea what I did to get the zip file. I was using the Garmin help and the Help center and then read NiraD's post, went back, hit something, did something and it worked. So far I haven't been able to duplicate it.

I did start creating a list as per the link you posted, but adding caches one by one is confusing when you have two or three close to each other. (And time consuming.)

The .ZIP files are so much easier and have so much more info. This morning I learned by pushing the menu button while on the map screen I can get a description of the cache and the hint, if it has one.

Maybe I need to delete the files from the Garmin before adding more?
Maybe I need to connect Garmin before I log in?
Maybe I need to start Express before I make the list?
Maybe I need to forget everything I think I know and start with a blank page?

Its a lot to take it at once, like playing Monopoly for the first time.

Once the laser is setup and running I'll walk through everything again this afternoon.

If you loaded your GPX files from your Pocket Query, now go find caches!

If you want to get current data from a saved Pocket Query, or add more Pocket Queries, then save and run them.  Set one up, submit and preview it, and if it looks OK, select a day for it to run (such as the current day), and wait for it to run.  Once it runs, it's available to download as a zip file.  There are many tips in niraD's posted links.

If you want to make a Pocket Query of a new area, one easy way is to open the map (such as the map on a cache page), zoom out a little until you have a suitable area in view, then select "Create Pocket Query" in the left menu of the map.  Submit, preview, then select a day for it to run, and then wait a little bit.

Once you're familiar with Pocket Queries, you might then try to load lists.  If I want to pick out individual caches, I open each cache page and add each to one list.  If I do a search, I might select some checkboxes, or select all of them to add to a list.  The "lists" are available on the site even if you aren't sending them to the GPS.  They're a handy way to organize caches that you may want to hunt.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
On 3/7/2018 at 1:50 PM, garyo1954 said:

Right!

Followed you and downloaded a file 20613551.zip.

Unzipped it shows 20613551.gpx and 20613551-wpts.gpx

Those are in my download folder.

Now what please niraD?

Should I just move the .gpx file to the GPX folder in the Garmin? (That's what I think I'm supposed to do, but thinking gets me in trouble.)

You can do that or you can also download a waypoint manager such as EasyGPS, Basecamp, or GSAK (Basecamp or iCaching for a Mac).  I'd recommend creating a "geocaching" or "gps" folder then a "downloads" folder under that.  You might also to create several other sub-folders for different pocket query results and other files you might want to have for visiting a specific area.  A waypoint manager will manage multiple PQ downloads and allow you to send them (or a portion of them) directly to a GPS.  They will all typically be able to handle the "zip" file with extracting it's contents locally.  Personally I prefer using a waypoint manager over copying GPX files into a folder on my Garmin.  I've downloaded dozens of PQ results with different criteria in preparation for travel somewhere.  When I download the PQ results file, I use a "Save As" function to give it a meaningful name (the PQ page will add the name of the PQ to the downloaded file if you check a box indicating that's what you want).  

26 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

You can do that or you can also download a waypoint manager such as EasyGPS, Basecamp, or GSAK (Basecamp or iCaching for a Mac).  I'd recommend creating a "geocaching" or "gps" folder then a "downloads" folder under that.  You might also to create several other sub-folders for different pocket query results and other files you might want to have for visiting a specific area.  A waypoint manager will manage multiple PQ downloads and allow you to send them (or a portion of them) directly to a GPS.  They will all typically be able to handle the "zip" file with extracting it's contents locally.  Personally I prefer using a waypoint manager over copying GPX files into a folder on my Garmin.  I've downloaded dozens of PQ results with different criteria in preparation for travel somewhere.  When I download the PQ results file, I use a "Save As" function to give it a meaningful name (the PQ page will add the name of the PQ to the downloaded file if you check a box indicating that's what you want).  

I really like Basecamp due to the mapping feature.
Easy GPS doesn't show the roads and stuff. Or I don't know how to add that.

I haven't tried either to load PQs to the Garmin yet. Still getting acquainted with it.
And I notice that the site now offers the option of loading the PQs directly to the Garmin using Garmin Express.

Still  have a lot to learn.

15 hours ago, garyo1954 said:

I really like Basecamp due to the mapping feature.
Easy GPS doesn't show the roads and stuff. Or I don't know how to add that.

I haven't tried either to load PQs to the Garmin yet. Still getting acquainted with it.
And I notice that the site now offers the option of loading the PQs directly to the Garmin using Garmin Express.

Still  have a lot to learn.

You can also try ExpertGPS, the pay version (it's very inexpensive) of EasyGPS.  I haven't used it in years but if I recall one can load different base maps.  This page has map downloads for many countries (https://www.expertgps.com/maps/default.asp).  GSAK has a bit of a learning curve but it's arguably the best waypoint manager and more tion one can get for a PC for GPS use.