Jump to content

"not authorized" error


Kacher82
Followers 1

Recommended Posts

I have been trying to get GSAK to link to Geocaching via the API. When I try to authorize it, I first get a window saying my access has been authorized, immediately followed by a message box with the message "The Groundspeak api has returned the error 'Not authorized'. The most common cause of this error is an expired or corrupt token. Would you like to try and fetch another token now?" If I select "yes", it just repeats the process, again ending in the same error. I have tried everything I could find on GSAK forums, and just now completely uninstalled GSAK and reinstalled it, with the same result, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with GSAK. Anyone else have this issue, that could give me some ideas?

Capture.PNG

Link to comment

 

I had the same problem when I switched to GSAK version 9. Then I switched to version 8.7.0.0 and the token worked again.

Now the token has been rejected since yesterday and I should update to version 9. I did that. But now I get the same error message again.

I now have this effect on 3 different PCs.

I also tried to install the new token using the different methods. These are reported as successfully installed, but there is still the problem with the token when accessing the GC server.

 

Link to comment

I went down the same rabbit hole before finding the solution: Select “NO”. 

 

If you haven’t already, update to v9 (there should be a little reminder box lower right corner). 

 

Then click the Geocaching.com tab: dropdown menu items should have the word ”New” in from of each. Select the one that says something about fetching a new token.

  • Helpful 1
Link to comment

The aforementioned suggestions did not work for me.  Today I accessed my geocaching.com account and viewed my list of "authorizations" and GSAK is not listed for me.  Note:  prior to viewing the list, I renewed the token on GSAK.  I feel like I am going backwards.

Link to comment

I download the GSAK Freeware onto a new computer.  Downloaded the update.  Attempted to update the token.  Got the message that it was successful.  Tried to download PQ's and got the dreaded unauthorized token / corrupt message.  

 

I accessed Project GC com, did the "authentication" thingy.  Got the message that I successfully "authenticated" my geocaching account.  I then visited my profile on Geocaching.com and looked at my list of authorizations and GSAK and Project GC were not listed.  The only items authorized is my Garmin and the geocaching forum.  I feel like a GSAK junkie as I am spending crazy time on trying to get it to work properly.  

Link to comment

Success!  I changed my geocaching.com user name from "Giz" to Randy58.  For whatever reason, changing the user name allowed the process to work and I was able to download the pocket queries.  Observation:  I wonder if my old user name caused conflicts with the API and Token Renewal.  Was it a question of the old name?  Did it have to do with quotation marks around my old user name?  Did the Russians hack my account?

Link to comment
47 minutes ago, "Giz" said:

Success!  I changed my geocaching.com user name from "Giz" to Randy58.  For whatever reason, changing the user name allowed the process to work and I was able to download the pocket queries.  Observation:  I wonder if my old user name caused conflicts with the API and Token Renewal.  Was it a question of the old name?  Did it have to do with quotation marks around my old user name?  Did the Russians hack my account?

 

There have been some weird things going on around Geocaching.com with symbols and spaces in user names.  IOS has been the culprit at times.  Here's an article about quotation marks:

https://www.howtogeek.com/344310/how-to-turn-off-smart-punctuation-on-your-iphone-and-ipad/

Link to comment

I was getting the same messages as above.  I have been using GSAK under 2 user names and it appears it was messing with the new API token generating the "unauthorised" error.

If you check under the "new" Geocaching.com access tab (Version 9.0+) at the bottom you can see how many user names you are trying to access geocaching.com from GSAK.  The new API will only work with one user name.  If you have more than one you will have to remove all but one of the accounts.  Worked for me.  

Link to comment

I am using GSAK v9.0 with four, count 'em, four, premium usernames.  I've had absolutely no issues.  Each GSAK menu username matches its Geocaching.com account name, regarding capitalization, spacing, etc., and each account is authenticated properly for the API.

  • Helpful 1
Link to comment

I encountered this problem today after downloading GSAK 9. Had not been using my old GSAK installation for over a year.
But I think I solved my problem.

Did log in in the browser showing in GSAK, but still had problems.
So I logged out from two of my other browsers (two other I were not logged in to).
When retrying to get a new authorization token I choose to log into as another user (but selecting same user).

This seemed to work, and I managed to update the caches in the current database.

Good, that means I can be using GSAK for some more time.

(Forgot one thing - I only have one account in my GSAK installation. So that was never a problem.)

Edited by LHCper
Adding information about number of accounts
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Followers 1
×
×
  • Create New...