School Project

DaltaiCF

Hi there, 

I have been Geocaching with my children for a few years now with my own account.  I am also a teacher at Colaiste Feirste, an Irish medium school in Belfast.  Recently, upon studying GIS with our pupils I had the idea of getting our pupils involved in Geocaching. 

I thought that they could map out and leave Caches in and around our local area in a way of sharing our heritage and local history associated with the Irish language and our school with a view to launching it and attracting people to our community.  

I have my own premium account signed up to on my android.  Would I need to do similar for the school project?  Also, would all of the caches show up on a basic version of the app or would someone need to sign up for the premium version?

I think I understand the process of laying out caches etc.  Would you have any additional advice or support that I could avail of before setting the project up?

Thanks in advance

If you want the kids to use the app and see all the caches, consider NOT making the caches Premium Member Only. Will you be using your account to place the "school" caches, or wanting to create a new one for the kids?

I highly recommend getting several coordinate "readings" before placing a cache. Test it. Test it again. And before you submit it for review, LOOK at the map. Zoom in. Does it look about right? Or is it showing 50 miles away (Trust me, this happens!  Too often!).

Good luck with the caches. I sure wish I could come find them!

Edited by Max and 99
typo

Put all the caches under your account. That way you'll be the one responsible for maintenance; the students will not do it. (Or have the email set on your "school" account such that you get the notifications. Either way, you should be responsible for maintenance.)

EDIT: Also, beware of the "promotion" guidelines. Your caches can highlight local history, etc., but should not promote an agenda, business, etc. Work with your local reviewer regarding whether talking about your school would be considered "promotion."

Edited by TriciaG
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, TriciaG said:

Put all the caches under your account. That way you'll be the one responsible for maintenance; the students will not do it. (Or have the email set on your "school" account such that you get the notifications. Either way, you should be responsible for maintenance.)

Yes.  I did a series set out by a high school teacher and several high school seniors.  They didn't last long.  The students graduated, and did not maintain nor care.  The teacher did not maintain hers nor the students' caches.  

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Yes.  I did a series set out by a high school teacher and several high school seniors.  They didn't last long.  The students graduated, and did not maintain nor care.  The teacher did not maintain hers nor the students' caches.  

Seen it before too, just like the Scout merit badge caches.

• Upvote 2

would all of the caches show up on a basic version of the app

The free  version of the site's smartphone app will show Traditional caches at Difficulty and Terrain ratings of 1 and 1.5, and Events.

So for the children to see these caches using a free app on a smartphone, that's the type and D/T limit.  On the website they can see everything that isn't created as "for Premium Members Only" and download it.  This may be too complex for your purposes.  How to use Geocaching.com isn't your focus, so hide Traditional caches at or below difficulty and terrain 1.5. 

As others have said, you own these, and you maintain and monitor, thanks

22 hours ago, DaltaiCF said:

Hi there, 

I have been Geocaching with my children for a few years now with my own account.  I am also a teacher at Colaiste Feirste, an Irish medium school in Belfast.  Recently, upon studying GIS with our pupils I had the idea of getting our pupils involved in Geocaching. 

I thought that they could map out and leave Caches in and around our local area in a way of sharing our heritage and local history associated with the Irish language and our school with a view to launching it and attracting people to our community.  

I have my own premium account signed up to on my android.  Would I need to do similar for the school project?  Also, would all of the caches show up on a basic version of the app or would someone need to sign up for the premium version?

I think I understand the process of laying out caches etc.  Would you have any additional advice or support that I could avail of before setting the project up?

Thanks in advance

Curious why you didn't use your account name for the forums, instead of creating another.  Basic questions on placement  support that some are just guessing that you have the experience for such an endeavor in the first place.  :)

Agree with others, if you plan on placing caches using this site, it really should be under your account. Kids lose interest in things quick. 

You don't say the age of these kids.  Does the school have phones for the kids?  Plan on using phones the kids might already have?   Do their parents know they'll be using a site that may require their participation for their child's access (by the Terms of Use) ? 

• Upvote 2
On 3/6/2018 at 8:50 AM, DaltaiCF said:

Hi there, 

Thanks in advance

Before placing my first cache, I read, and reread, the Guidelines and Help Center pages to get what I considered to be a thorough understanding of them. This was after having found a number of different types of caches.

The study of Guidelines made for quick approval of the caches I submitted.

Perhaps a study of the Guidelines could be an important FIRST part of your class project. Include in the lessons the importance of the Ethics related to Geocaching - Trade even or up as it relates to SWAG, Cache In Trash Out, Leave No Trace, and the Proper handling of Trackables.

• Upvote 2
On 3/7/2018 at 10:47 AM, K13 said:

Perhaps a study of the Guidelines could be an important FIRST part of your class project. Include in the lessons the importance of the Ethics related to Geocaching - Trade even or up as it relates to SWAG, Cache In Trash Out, Leave No Trace, and the Proper handling of Trackables.

This would fit with typical educational system practices. Lecture/study the theory/knowledge first and then move on to practical or lab work.