Can't Find an Answer

garyo1954

20 minutes ago, garyo1954 said:

So nothing to log?

If you go to that Event, you can log "Attended", maybe mention in the log that you got a cool guitar pick.  But that's about it.

After Events, I used to place a "kunarion" name pin button into a nearby cache, with "GC"-whatever the cache number was for the Event.  It confused everybody ("How do you track this?").  I didn't know it would create so much chaos. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, kunarion said:

If you go to that Event, you can log "Attended".  But that's about it.

After Events, I used to placed "kunarion" a name pin button into a nearby cache, with "GC"-whatever the cache number was for the Event.  It confused everybody ("How do you track this?").  I didn't know it would be that much of a problem. :anicute:

LOL....too funny Kunarion. Thanks!

I would love to attend this event and learn more. Less than 3 hours from home. Alas, I'm a dialysis patient. Short notice travel and get up and go plans are no longer viable. I have not so much as made the trip back to the Dallas area since 2012.

23 minutes ago, garyo1954 said:

LOL....too funny Kunarion. Thanks!

I would love to attend this event and learn more. Less than 3 hours from home. Alas, I'm a dialysis patient. Short notice travel and get up and go plans are no longer viable. I have not so much as made the trip back to the Dallas area since 2012.

This week may be a fun time to go hunt some popular caches around your home.  People visiting for the Event will go after choice caches along the way.  You might meet cachers traveling from all over, to or from the Event.

This afternoon, a couple passing through found a cache down the street from where I live (Atlanta), and mentioned that they're on their way to a "Mega in Texas".  Probably this same Event!

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

Plan to get out tomorrow for some nearby caches. Had fun with the multi today. Exchanged swag. Built a bit of confidence that I (might) know something. Gadget got me off on the right foot and pointed to a couple on the map she's never found. And the GPS should arrive Wednesday.

Its going to be a good time to be a geo-newbie(?)

• Upvote 2
15 hours ago, K13 said:

Yes, that guitar pick is a bit of promotion for the Texas Challenge Mega Event in Denton this year.  16th consecutive year for the event. There will be lots of us there!

YES! Did receive a response this morning in my messages. That's exactly what it is! Looked at the event details and the event has grown in the last 5 years! Sounds like a great place to be this weekend.

Thanks!

• Upvote 1
On 3/6/2018 at 0:55 AM, K13 said:

Yes, that guitar pick is a bit of promotion for the Texas Challenge Mega Event in Denton this year.  16th consecutive year for the event. There will be lots of us there!

That's a rather clever way of promoting a large event.   I wonder how many local caches had one dropped into it prior to the event.  Although not very common in the U.S., in Europe, and especially in the U.K.  geocaching event creators will create digital badges that those that have attended can add to their profile (many large events will get a souvenir as well).  Those digital badges have also become common for notable caches or for completing a cache series.   Some of the profiles of cachers in the U.K. are huge and loaded with dozens of "badges". 

20 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

That's a rather clever way of promoting a large event.   I wonder how many local caches had one dropped into it prior to the event.  Although not very common in the U.S., in Europe, and especially in the U.K.  geocaching event creators will create digital badges that those that have attended can add to their profile (many large events will get a souvenir as well).  Those digital badges have also become common for notable caches or for completing a cache series.   Some of the profiles of cachers in the U.K. are huge and loaded with dozens of "badges". 

I didn't know until this morning, but the Texas Challenge Event gave me a souvenir. 1a7a4a8d-5d7d-4792-81ed-a2250bd5ecec.png

That was unexpected.

1 hour ago, K13 said:

I didn't know until this morning, but the Texas Challenge Event gave me a souvenir. 1a7a4a8d-5d7d-4792-81ed-a2250bd5ecec.png

That was unexpected.

Yup - mega events usually get their own complements of souvenirs and lab caches these days.  Got this 73accc0b-a8a6-4ab7-ab08-1b36fe36baa7.png for a local mega in 2016.  I can't remember if I knew beforehand we'd get it, but it was cool regardless.