Choosing my next GPSr

BKip

I've had my Oregon 600 since 2014 but have decided its time for a new unit. I've only owned Garmin GPSr products and I've been quite happy with them, with the exception of the Oregon, which I'm overall dissatisified with (ok, actually I HATE the unit).

While researching new units, I've even downloaded their Owner Manuals, but I'm not finding the information I want. For example, one of my biggest peves with the Oregon, I cannot manually enter a Geocache waypoint and any waypoint I do manually enter, displays with a Geocache icon but without the Geocache attritibues, i.e., I have to switch screens/modes to view either Geocaches or non-Geocache waypoints, not both/all at the same time.

Thus, if I want to put out a couple of new Geocaches, the first thing I want to do is search for NEAREST Geocaches to make sure I'm outside the minimum distance. Once I move down the trail and I want to place a second cache, I then have to switch screens/modes first to check if I'm far enough from my first placement (which would be a non-Geocache waypoint), then change to my Geocaching mode to search for nearby active caches.

Along the same lines, with the older GPSr's if you had all waypoints associated with a specific cache loaded (e.g., parking, trailhead, final, etc.) they would all display in the same search window and you can choose which one to go to. Not true with the Oregon, whereas you have switch modes to see/search for the interim waypoints and then also change your compass display to either Geocache or non-Geocache pointer display.

I'm interested in the eTrex series or GPSMAP 64 series. As mentioned earlier, I've downloaded the Owner Manuals, but was unable to find out how these units treat waypoints. Can only one type be viewed/searched at a time, or do they all waypoints display in a search, with the ability to "go-to" either type without changes displays? 

Help?

By default, the Oregon 600 displays waypoints and caches on the same screen, Geocaches as treasure chests, waypoints as flag icons.  So the ability you desire is in the device already.  You can configure it as you wish (and also easily configure it so that it's just about useless).  Most other modern GPSrs can also be customized as desired.  Most of it requires moving and setting items where you will use them most, but part of it may involve changing your process slightly.

There are several ways to check distances, but I often choose "Where To?" and select "Geocaches" or "Waypoints" to see a list and their distances.  It's two lists, but no switching of "modes".

The Oregons (and lots of Garmins) arrive factory set to be tedious for practical Geocaching, as for having the most commonly used menu items and dashboard items right where you need them.  But you can change it to better match your the way you cache.  I did.

IMAG0455c.jpg

Edited by kunarion
8 minutes ago, kunarion said:

By default, the Oregon 600 displays waypoints and caches on the same screen, Geocaches as treasure chests, waypoints as flag icons.  So the ability you desire is in the device already.  You can configure it as you wish (and also easily configure it so that it's just about useless).  Most other modern GPSrs can do the same.

There are several ways to check distances, but I often choose "Where To?" and select "Geocaches" or "Waypoints" to see a list and their distances.  It's two lists, but no switching of "modes".

The Oregon (and lots of Garmins) arrive factory set to be just about useless for practical Geocaching, as for having the most commonly used menu items and dashboard items right where you need them.  But you can change it to be much more Geocaching-friendly.  I did.

Yes, on the map screen you can see all waypoints, but that is not the same as doing a search/viewing the lists (either Geocache or non-Geocache, and then going to the selected item. Perhaps I'm not phrasing it clearly, if I'm searching for a Geocache, I will have the units DASHBOARD in Geocaching mode/display and I will NOT be able to see/go-to non-Geocache waypoints. And if my DASHBOARD is set to non-Geocache display/mode I cannot see/go-to Geocaches. I have to switch the displayed DASHBOARD. All 4 of my previous Garmin GPSr's displayed all waypoints on the map AND when doing a NEXT WAYPOINT displayed a list of ALL waypoints, starting from the nearest, no matter the type, AND did not require changing DASHBOARDS/displays based on a type.

30 minutes ago, BKip said:

if I'm searching for a Geocache, I will have the units DASHBOARD in Geocaching mode/display and I will NOT be able to see/go-to non-Geocache waypoints. And if my DASHBOARD is set to non-Geocache display/mode I cannot see/go-to Geocaches. I have to switch the displayed DASHBOARD. All 4 of my previous Garmin GPSr's displayed all waypoints on the map AND when doing a NEXT WAYPOINT displayed a list of ALL waypoints, starting from the nearest, no matter the type, AND did not require changing DASHBOARDS/displays based on a type.

You can set that as you like, too.  Or leave it like that and then it's frustrating to use.  I never set it in the way you describe, I need waypoints and caches interchangeably.  The lists of caches and waypoints are separate by design, I've never tried to see if I could combine them all in one list.  It's not that bad (for me) to look at the caches, then look at the waypoints.  Your mileage may vary.

Anyway, enjoy your next GPSr. :)

Edited by kunarion
29 minutes ago, BKip said:

[...] I will have the units DASHBOARD in Geocaching mode/display and I will NOT be able to see/go-to non-Geocache waypoints. And if my DASHBOARD is set to non-Geocache display/mode I cannot see/go-to Geocaches.[...]

That's wrong. Use the Where To app instaed of tapping the dashboard.
Add a proximity circle to your newly created geocache(ie. a waypoint called "geocache").

proxi224.png?raw=1  proxi203.png?raw=1

Now use the map to see if there are geocaches within this circle.

Hans

31 minutes ago, kunarion said:

You can set that as you like, too.  Or leave it like that and then it's frustrating to use.  I never set it in the way you describe, I need waypoints and caches interchangeably.

Anyway, enjoy your next GPSr. :)

Okay, it would not be the first time I couldn't figure out a function of the Oregon, so, how do you set it up to go-to/search for either type of waypoint without changing Dashboards?

42 minutes ago, BKip said:

[...] how do you set it up to go-to/search for either type of waypoint without changing Dashboards?

Use the magnifier "Where To":

sc-02-lg.jpg

It might be much smarter to read the unit's manual instead of blaming Garmin for your lack of knowledge.

1 hour ago, BKip said:

Okay, it would not be the first time I couldn't figure out a function of the Oregon, so, how do you set it up to go-to/search for either type of waypoint without changing Dashboards?

I feel your pain! There are many layers to discover in a Garmin GPSr. I haven't tried to group all lists into one, but would not be surprised if there's a setting for that.  This is one place I went, to figure out my Oregon.  It's only a matter of... finding everything... and deciding how it fits into one's ideas. :anicute:

You don't actually change "dashboards", just click "Where To?" and click either Geocaches or Waypoints.  It's two different lists, but close the list, open the other.  It's only been an issue for me if I neglect to open one or the other in a cache-saturated place.  Most often, I can use "Where To?" and navigate to one point that seems kind of close, the rest are far enough away to not be in the way.

All distance info in each list moves when you move, pretty handy. The list is sorted by distance, and I prefer the whole list, even if a cache or point is far away. It's all good.

I'm not sure if using “Where To?” works for you. I also like HHL's idea, That looks pretty cool!

I can show you how I set up a couple of my dashboards. This may not be everything you're asking for, but maybe it's a piece of the puzzle.

This is the “Geocaching Dashboard”. It's far out. It's cool. It's useless. B) That is, it gets in the way if you want to view something other than a Geocache. But since it's kind of fun anyway, I placed it on the main menu as seen here:

IMAG0459z.jpg.963e1604452773d7f3c95666a655b301.jpg

You also see the icons I use most are right here, for walking to a Geocache.  I have a whole other Car Geocaching Profile.

But for the compass and map pages, I use “Small Data Fields” instead. Three handy fields are, “Distance To Next”, “Location of Dest”, and “Destination” (and I also have the date so I'll remember that, but there are a bunch of other fields that could be set there).

Now navigate to any cache or waypoint, and it's shown in that dashboard, and you see its name, the name of a cache or waypoint. The factory “Geocaching Dashboard” only shows Geocaches, but the “Small Fields” dashboard works for either caches or waypoints. Is that anything?

A Waypoint ("644") , shown in the Small Fields dashboard, with specific fields set up:

IMAG0457z.jpg.6bf5ab74762ecfcae1fb5c9089350864.jpg

A Cache, displayed in the same "dashboard":

IMAG0456z.jpg.649f50662d8316f77fe33fad1c4dde97.jpg

Edited by kunarion
27 minutes ago, kunarion said:

I feel your pain! There are many layers to discover in a Garmin GPSr. I haven't tried to group all lists into one, but would not be surprised if there's a setting for that.

You don't actually change "dashboards", just click "Where To?" and click either Geocaches or Waypoints....

Thank you for the response. I'll try a few of your suggestions... while I decide which unit to replace it with. I've other issues with the Oregon that I didn't feel I needed to go into more detail beyond giving one example. I really do appreciate your sincere response (as opposed to sarcasm of others).

14 minutes ago, BKip said:

Thank you for the response. I'll try a few of your suggestions... while I decide which unit to replace it with. I've other issues with the Oregon that I didn't feel I needed to go into more detail beyond giving one example. I really do appreciate your sincere response (as opposed to sarcasm of others).

I hope it helps!  At least you have a better idea of what you're looking for in a GPSr.  And there are always new models coming.

On that Oregon, there may be some unscrambling to do.  The "Waypoints" shouldn't be Geocache icons.  Something seems a little off.

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:52 AM, kunarion said:

This is the “Geocaching Dashboard”. It's far out. It's cool. It's useless. B) That is, it gets in the way if you want to view something other than a Geocache.

I agree. I tried it out briefly on my Oregon 450, but quickly found that it's only useful if you only ever want to navigate to caches. As soon as you want to navigate to a waypoint, it loses its "coolness" and becomes a burden. Since then - and carried over to my 600 - I've used the small fields with "Distance to next", "Pointer" (I keep North up on my map), and a couple of other data fields. This way it always acts the same whether I'm navigating to a cache or waypoint, and AFAIK I'm really not losing anything.

As for your distance to things around you, a faster way than "Where to" would be using the Waypoint Manager and Geocaching "apps" for distance to waypoints and caches, respectively. It saves the step of going into Where to and then selecting either caches or waypoints.

These devices have a lot of potential functionality hidden in them. If you ever find one of your processes annoying or inefficient, post here and someone may be able to point to a better way of doing things.

I like the geocache dashboard because of easily reaching the HInt, Description, spoiler photos and the log section. It's very easy to change the dashboard: Tap and hold the dashboard to change the dashboard's content on the fly (ie: change from geocache to small numbers).

Hans

On 3/5/2018 at 2:58 PM, HHL said:

That's wrong. Use the Where To app instaed of tapping the dashboard.
Add a proximity circle to your newly created geocache(ie. a waypoint called "geocache").

proxi224.png?raw=1  proxi203.png?raw=1

Now use the map to see if there are geocaches within this circle.

Hans

OMG, seems a day never goes by without learning something new.  Thanks.  I recently sold my Montana 600 and am about to order a 680 but I have a feeling Garmin is about to either release a new 4" handheld or stop supporting them.  Seems like the Oregon line has been getting lots of updates lately compared to the Montana.

The oregon line (mostly the 700 series)  has been getting updates because it's the newest model, and it has some features not in common with other lines or previous models (WIFI and geocaching API access, for example). Because these features are brand new to Garmin handhelds, there are bugs. And because Groundspeak occasionally changes the way the API is accessed, things break and updates from Garmin are needed.

Meanwhile updates to the Montana between the 600/650 and the 610/680 are minor. I think GLONASS support was added and maybe an increase in internal memory and a faster processor, though I'm not sure about the last two. I think the update from the Oregon 400 to the 450 may have been more substantial. Expect that the next update to come to the gpsMap line.

On 3/5/2018 at 0:19 PM, BKip said:

You might elaborate on your other grievances because we can help point you to solutions, or at least give you fair warning if the same issues will exist in other Garmin models. 

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 0:48 PM, HHL said:

I like the geocache dashboard because of easily reaching the HInt, Description, spoiler photos and the log section. It's very easy to change the dashboard: Tap and hold the dashboard to change the dashboard's content on the fly (ie: change from geocache to small numbers).

Hans

It's always interesting to hear how other people do things. I didn't know that you could get to those areas from the geocaching dashboard (though I still wouldn't use it for the previously-mentioned reason). Since I don't use that dashboard, I've configured a single-push of the user button to take me directly to the Geocaching "app", which accomplishes the same thing.