What puts a smile on your face?

OK I'm bored of the What Irks You Most thread, so here goes - stuff that puts a smile on my face...

Finding a previous DNF is of course right up there.

A resuss always makes me feel proud.

When the long-suffering Mrs OS gives a polite "er-hem" cough because she's found the cache. OS Junior (hardened veteran on nearly 2900 caches, aged 8 3/4) often gets his fair share on a walk too.

Bumping into another cacher in the middle of nowhere.

Reassuring a muggle when I'm jumping out of a hedge that I'm not a weirdo, and explaining the hobby to them.

Unexpected wildlife (flora or fauna) sightings. Saw a beautiful little egret (small white heron) last weekend in the snow. Last spring was great for orchids.

Ammo boxes!

Tree climbs, small or large.

Happy logs on my hides.

The "I didn't know that was there" moment (George Orwell's grave as an example)

Discovering a new rural pub on / at the start of the day's walk

That'll do to be going on with - what about you?

Solving a well-crafted puzzle.

Spotting a cleverly camouflaged cache, especially one that I know I touched during a previous unsuccessful attempt.

Completing a multi-stage cache after working hours on the various stages. (My 500, 1000, and 1500 milestone caches were of this type.)

Caches that bring me to public art, or to interesting historical locations.

A cache with a view.

Geocaching events and group geocaching trips.

Playing huckle-buckle-beanstalk style on group geocaching trips, so everyone gets a chance for the "Aha! moment" when they spot each cache.

Pretty much everything related to Venona's ACTIVITIES. (Alas, it seems that ACTIVITIES 2017 marked the end of that tradition. :( )

From your list I pick:

Unexpected wildlife (flora or fauna) sightings.

---- Cool fungus is a treat to find -- puff ball the size of a football,  bear's head

Ammo boxes!

Happy logs on my hides.

The "I didn't know that was there" moment (George Orwell's grave as an example)

---------------------

A tranquil refreshing forest walk with my dog.

A well-maintained swag size cache with a logbook (not logsheet).

When you stumble upon an owner who provides nice caching experiences from beginning to end. Then spend the rest of the day finding their other cache hides. 

Creative caches that follow the guidelines and don't damage or deface (i.e. isn't screwed or drilled into a tree/post).

Edited by L0ne.R

For me:

• A cache that takes me on an adventure to a special place I wouldn't have otherwise found but for caching.
  • Finally getting the green light from the checker after days, weeks or months of nutting out a puzzle.
  • A log from someone who really enjoyed one of my hides and for whom the journey meant more than just another smiley.
  • A day out caching with friends.
  • Finally finding a cache I've repeatedly DNFed.
  • Attending events and sharing tales of epic finds and DNFs.
  • Getting FTF on a tough new cache, especially a multi or puzzle, or being 2TF behind someone who really deserved to get there first, or meeting other cachers in the FTF race and having a mini-event afterwards.

20170419_132345_small.jpg

Y'all may not believe this but there are quite a few things having to do with geocaching that make me smile.:D

A cache that brings me to a nifty location. Discovering new and interesting areas that i hadn't been to before. 

A creative cache that its owner has put some effort into. Maybe the container is unique or getting into it requires some thought.

A nice hike in the woods on a beautiful day.

Finding a challenging to get to cache (tree climb, underwater, long hike, etc,,,).

Figuring out a well executed puzzle cache.

Finding a well camouflaged, tough to spot cache.

Finding a cache i DNFed before.

Getting a nice log on one of our caches.

My biggest smiles come about when i'm out caching with Family and/or Friends.                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Edited by Mudfrog

These replies are making me smile too. :-)  A lot of common themes here.

- A nice hike or bushwhack through the woods!

- Ammo cans! Or at least a container that is dry and can hold swag and TBs.

- Walking up and and putting my hand on a difficult hide within minutes (rare but so awesome when it happens).

- Caches that are creative and/or have thought behind them.

- Finding a really hard cache I’ve DNFed (multiple times) without getting help or hints. The find is sweeeeet when you’ve worked for it. 

- Interesting swag—I don’t cache for swag of course but I remember The Good Ol’ Days when caches could have some pretty cool stuff in it and it was fun to look through. Now it just cheap kid junk.

- A nice log on my caches.

- And ^5 to L0ne.r on the fungi finds! Extra bonus!

- Being taken to a new place, good view, cool object, etc.

You deal with the crappy stuff and savor all the good times. :-)

8 hours ago, K13 said:

Finding a cache that hasn't been found in a long time.

Finding a cache in a new state or county.

Finding a cache with a spectacular view or an interesting bit of history.

Finding a cache with a blank log.

Yah!

This cache was three or four of those things.  (Can't remember if it was my first find in British Columbia; the cache is a few inches away from Alberta and just barely inside BC.)

eb0ed45a-9b46-4aa9-9d0e-1d808a3dee07.jpg

And just thinking of that day, or more broadly of the 5-day backpacking trip with two alpine superwomen, makes me smile.  This was day two.

9 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Yah!

This cache was three or four of those things.  (Can't remember if it was my first find in British Columbia; the cache is a few inches away from Alberta and just barely inside BC.)

eb0ed45a-9b46-4aa9-9d0e-1d808a3dee07.jpg

And just thinking of that day, or more broadly of the 5-day backpacking trip with two alpine superwomen, makes me smile.  This was day two.

Awesome, smile inducing image! :D

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, K13 said:
4 hours ago, Ambrosia said:

It's when you try to suss something for a second time. 

Well, that brings up a whole 'nuther question....

<in My Cousin Vinnie's voice> "What's a suss?"

:laughing:

There is such a thing called google. ;)

I thought it was a more well known word, but I guess not. I've visited Australia a couple times, and I watch a lot of British/Australian/New Zealand stuff, so maybe that's why I know it.

It just means to figure something out, or solve a problem. :)

14 minutes ago, Ambrosia said:

I thought it was a more well known word, but I guess not. I've visited Australia a couple times, and I watch a lot of British/Australian/New Zealand stuff, so maybe that's why I know it.

I knew that, it just struck me as funny. I could hear Joe Pesci in that movie in the diner asking about grits.

16 minutes ago, K13 said:
25 minutes ago, Ambrosia said:

I knew that, it just struck me as funny. I could hear Joe Pesci in that movie in the diner asking about grits.

Ok. :lol:  "I've just actually never seen a grit before."

Ah of course, in the US of A you'd figure it out, not suss it.

I still can't get my head round a variant of English where, balm, bomb and bum are all pronounced the same... ;)

Back on-topic, yes the satisfaction of resussing / resuscitating a cache / finding it after a long gap / multiple DNFs, always satisfying. I once solved a multi, unfound for a couple of years, battled my way through a couple of years' worth of undergrowth to an obvious tree stump - nothing there! Rocked it in pure frustration and heard the beautiful clonk-clonk sound of an ammo box having a tree stump rocked on top of it. How it had got underneath I don't know - but there it stays, so anyone reading found logs knows what to do.