Celebrate 100, 1000 and 10000

Aer72

Here's your sign:

coollogo_com-19623535.gif

I've seen some celebrations for friends locally, at Events, for notable milestones. There are nice Geocoins for many types of milestones, and banners to place in your profile or whatever.  Usually, cachers place the banners they want, themselves, as a milestone or achievement happens.  There are several charts of "statistics", including milestones, built right into your Profile.

There are people I know who would complain if TPTB had a “celebration notice” for every 100 finds (or for any “milestone”).  I think "Souvenirs" are pretty neat, but I haven't looked at mine in a long time.  And I wouldn't like to manage them (Why is that one missing?  Why is this one here?).  I'd rather find caches than get banners. :cute:

I've placed some nice milestone celebration packs in caches. After my own Find 100, I put a bag of items in the first cache I ever found (which was an ammo box). The bag had an info sheet, certificate, balloons, a Geocoin, and a spring-loaded glitter popper, so the finder could celebrate. :P

For my 1000th Find, I placed one of five unactivated dragon Geocoins in caches, with info. But next time, I'll hand any such items to directly to friends. That's the only way any of these things are acknowledged. Place something in a cache and it evaporates without mention. :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
25 minutes ago, aer72 said:

I know that there are geocoins and the odd friendly cacher that gives you a mention but if there was some alert gif or just something that would gve an online note it would be great.

Besides the helpful link by Michaelcycle to badgegen through GSAK, another third-party site, project-gc, has a stats page that's also loaded automatically to your profile.

- But your own profile stats page has your "milestones" listed as well (under milestones).

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:34 AM, aer72 said:

Shouldn't there be a celebration notice or a gif or something when you a milestone? 

You can ask the site by hitting the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of all forum pages.  They're the ones who give out souvenirs and such.  Who knows...

You can always choose to make your own celebration when you hit a milestone. Some people have a ceremonial event or cache hidden at milestones. 

I say, celebrate the journey, not just the destination. I'm now playing a song snippet upon finding each cache. 

I flip flop between, "roundabout" by yes, "Found a child" by Ballin jack, and some 6 second snippet I don't recognize, but it is a notification sound on zedge listed as fanfare with a 'jazz' label.

Android users can have an audio file added to their homescreen as a widget for easy access. I'm sure Apple has a similar option. 

What song or sound would you do each find? The Zelda find sound? Mario coin sound? 'Celebration' by Kool & the gang?

Edited by CheekyBrit
Added sound link
16 minutes ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

@CheekyBrit I'm curious what prompted you to revive this 5 year old thread?  I'm guessing Aer72 isn't wondering this anymore.  

Before posting a new thread I look around for existing threads that resemble the topic. Your response leads me to think it is better to make a unique thread every time instead of adding to an existing one around the topic. I am fairly new to forums in general. Did the sound come through though?

1 hour ago, CheekyBrit said:

Before posting a new thread I look around for existing threads that resemble the topic. Your response leads me to think it is better to make a unique thread every time instead of adding to an existing one around the topic.

ZLooking around for similar topics is always a good idea.  However, if/when you DO find a topic that aligns with your question/comment, check the date of the last post and read through a few of the newest posts - if the topic seems to be "closed", and it's been a year or more since the last post, then yeah, start a new one.  If there are a LOT of posts on the topic, then read them; your question may get answered without adding yet another post on the same topic.  And if you feel there's somethi8ng new and idfferent to add, or you don't find much of anything, then start a new thread.