Unknown Cache type

MrTroy

The Unknown Cache type is not listed in the cache types page https://www.geocaching.com/about/cache_types.aspx

I was trying to do a notification for Mystery / Puzzle caches and did not see it listed. I suspected that the "Unknown Cache" type was it and when looking at a Mystery cache page I see it listed in the title. I think you need to update the cache_types page or just change the select entry on the Notification page. This was not intuitive at all.

• Upvote 1

I understand. I'm sure it is not as simple as an HTML fix since you might have to change some PHP code and even a database table definition. I maintained the corporate Intranet and our customer portal when I was in the business a decade ago.

On 3/5/2018 at 7:28 PM, MrTroy said:

I understand. I'm sure it is not as simple as an HTML fix since you might have to change some PHP code and even a database table definition. I maintained the corporate Intranet and our customer portal when I was in the business a decade ago.

I'm pretty sure that GS doesn't use PHP.  If you look at the URLS on the web site you'll see that many end with "aspx", including the one you posted.  That indicates an Active Server Page extension.   Changing the label displayed in a select list shouldn't ever require a change in the database table definition.  There may be a table which contains "cache types" and the value just needs to be consistent for any place on the site which displays a list of cache types. 

However if the entire website is "compiled" into the resulting source, then making a simple text change on the website isn't as easy as just editing the source code that's directly sent to the user (that would qualify as a hot fix though), like editing the php or html file that's served.  It would also require going to the base source and echoing that change so that on the next full site compilation and rollout, the text change remains in place.  As a web developer, I can understand the approach to such a development environment, especially with teams of programmers and multiple layers of development and source, however I also hate that approach for the time it takes to make what would otherwise very very quick and easy updates. (and as primarily a solo developer not working in a team environment, imo it's ridiculously too much work, heh)

I have found a different type of marking on the geocaching map for a geocache.

It looks like a Blue circle with a White square box with two little sticks sticking out.

The geocache GC number is GC4D8V3 "Open Sesame". The print page does not show it, only on the map on geocaching.com. 

What is it ?

30 minutes ago, Hughie250 said:

I have found a different type of marking on the geocaching map for a geocache.

It looks like a Blue circle with a White square box with two little sticks sticking out.

The geocache GC number is GC4D8V3 "Open Sesame". The print page does not show it, only on the map on geocaching.com. 

What is it ?

A puzzle cache you have entered corrected coordinates for (solved).

Edited by TriciaG