Need some help.....I am a newbie

Brutalfly

I honestly don't know where to start. I was talking to somebody last night and they mentioned GeoCaching in our conversation. 
Honestly I did not know what it was just heard the term a couple times before. 
I got to researching it and found out that it is a pretty neat thing to be doing.
So it got me thinking.
How do I get started and what type of GPS thing would be good?
I think it would be great to get my kids involved with and start with the easier cach and move to the harder ones when they get older.
They might come to really enjoy it and I think that it could be something our family would really enjoy. We are outside a bunch and love to travel. 
The bad thing is that I am on a very tight budget so when it comes to the GPS tracker I don't know what I should get. 
Do you guys have any advice?

You can get started for free.  Go to the Play Store on your smartphone (I'm going on the assumption you have one) and download the free Geocaching app.  And here's a link for some more helpful information to help you understand the ins and outs of the game.  Also be sure to check out the Help Center for much more detail.

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=102

10 hours ago, Brutalfly said:

I honestly don't know where to start. I was talking to somebody last night and they mentioned GeoCaching in our conversation. 
I got to researching it and found out that it is a pretty neat thing to be doing.
So it got me thinking.
I think it would be great to get my kids involved with and start with the easier cach and move to the harder ones when they get older.
They might come to really enjoy it and I think that it could be something our family would really enjoy. We are outside a bunch and love to travel. 
The bad thing is that I am on a very tight budget so when it comes to the GPS tracker I don't know what I should get. 

Use the free app!  I'm probably one of the last geocachers around to start using it since I'm so tech challenged.  I've taught many classes at the Parks and Rec, and for Scouting groups, and back then we used big old clunky GPS units. They are GREAT to have as a backup when you're in rural places, but wow that free app is GREAT and the kids will have no trouble at all using it. Again, it's FREE.

17 hours ago, Brutalfly said:

So it got me thinking.

dear brutafly

if i were you i would consider the free app and try and find some traditional caches near you.

Edited by aer72

Thank you for all of your answers. I great appreciate them.

Speaking of the app, which I am going to look into, how much data does it use when it comes to a data plan or does it just run off a satellite?

My phone is about 2 1/2 to 3 years old so it is a dinosaur compared to everything out there. 

Brutalfly - hello from another newbie.  If you can go with the app on your phone then that is the way to start.  I also have an old phone (join the dinosaur club) but decided after research to purchase a dedicated gps unit for use when I am walking as battery life is brilliant & I just carry spare AAs in my pocket.  I only woke up to geocaching aspect of a gps when I read a few articles online whilst trying to figure out my new toy.

I got the eTrex10 (which at £75 is pretty much bottom of the range) & am perfectly happy with it for my purposes.  But if I was involving children I would wait until I could afford something less basic & a bit more user friendly for youngsters - colour screen, mapping etc.  I got hooked after my first find & it will be an occasional hobby alongside my love of walking. Try the kids out first with the phone app in case they don't get enthused. 

The people here seem really helpful & if you start trawling through the forums you pick up loads of interesting & informative material.  Have fun!

Welcome to the game!  My advice would be to give your phone a shot.  I have been playing for 7 years and have always used my phone. So unless your phone has other issues it should be fine.  I actually bought a GPS after starting but was so used to my phone I have never really used it.  Instead of spending $ on a Gps I would save that money to someday upgrade your phone.

As far as the kids go, I am a fisherman. My daughter never really enjoyed fishing.  When we found geocaching she loved it and it has given us many many years of enjoyment and crazy adventures.  I really recommend it.  She has just gone off to collage and we still go out caching all the time!

I hope you and your kids enjoy it as much as we do!