Cache names in Greek alphabet

grimpil

Not sure if this is right place to ask so please move topic if need be.

I have been downloading some Greek caches to my gps (eTrex10) & find that if the name of the cache is in the format of place name given in English/Greek alphabet when I go to the geocache list on the gps there is a blank where the name should be.  Places that are only in English  are fine.  Luckily only a couple so far have this feature so I can work out which they are by scrolling through the description, but if more appear this way it could get confusing.  Cannot find any editing option on the gps itself or even with it connected to PC to do anything about this & can only assume it is the unrecognised Greek characters that are the fly in the ointment.  Maybe a quirk of the Garmin units?  Or general?  Does this occur with other non-Roman alphabets?

Thanks for that suggestion - I will check.  But as eTrex10 is very basic I have my doubts - might have to change languages than run side by side.

It is not a huge problem - only happened with 2 out of over 50 caches I downloaded & they happen to be in locations I might not even get to visit.  Appreciate your reply & was curious if anyone else had same hiccup.

Don't want to end up with everything in Greek as my language skill is very basic.  If I do find an answer on Garmin site I will report back.

Cheers HHL

This is one of them

GC4BWH1

Not found anything on Garmin website (although considering the abysmal standard of their user manuals no surprise there), nor by googling.  The gps itself in the set up menu has no option other than default English, so suspect it is calibrated for distribution only in English language areas.

Quite a puzzle!  Every bit as challenging as some caches!

Well done!  But as I suspected it displays all the cache info into Greek, although it has retained the English part of the cache name.  Maybe my options are English info/blank title or Greek info plus title but not title displayed with English info.  

Away from PC now until tomorrow but will follow up the Garmin Express route & see if I can install Greek.

I do appreciate your help.  As a newbie to both gps & geocaching I am on a steep learning curve so have been trawling these forums & finding all sorts of interesting tips.  Very knowledgeable community here!  Already solved a few other things that puzzled me so it is all good.

While the etrex is a useful little machine, it's no spring chicken -- it was an entry level GPSr back in 2012, and I don't think Garmin has done much to add to its capabilities.  If you find you need more out of it than what it can give, it might be time to start looking at smart phone applications to supplement your etrex, or start putting things on your birthday/Christmas wish list if you want to stick to a standalone GPSr.

I started geocaching with a Garmin GPS 12 - a battery-eating brick which made the etrex10 look like advanced alien technology.  It didn't take me long to want to upgrade.

Perfectly happy with the eTrex10.  Researched before buying & it does everything I wanted from a gps.  Combined with my paper map collection (which I will never abandon) it has stopped me getting lost & now leads me unfailingly to caches I am seeking.  I don't have birthday or Christmas lists, only what I buy for myself!  Battery life is awesome, it doesn't mind rain & mud, cheap & cheerful.  Just having fun getting my head round it all & the Greek font is just a puzzle but not an issue.  But do value your comments.

:rolleyes:

OK - so I went onto Garmin Express, installed Greek Language & now have it as an alternative on my gps when I go into Set Up.  BUT as predicted it still does not allow display of a cache name that has both Roman & Greek alphabets.  I can have the entire contents of my eTrex in Greek, but as said this is not practical..

If I visit/find the 2 caches that were the cause of this hiccup I will leave a note when I log my find/NF or whatever.  Perhaps drop an email to the cache owner.  Definitely have learnt something here (not least of which is where to get extra languages!) & hope it may prove useful to someone else who encounters a similar issue.  Thanks for input.  Onwards & upwards!!

Update.  As I have deffo caught the geocaching bug I have upgraded from the basic eTrex 10 (which has served me well for hiking)  to the eTrex 30x (well a belated Christmas pressie from a generous relative) & lo & behold this model will display the cache names that are in both Roman/Greek alphabet.  Problem solved.  Where there's a will, there's a way!

27 minutes ago, grimpil said:

It was indeed a relative's will that funded this unplanned upgrade.  They would be pleased to see me purchase something useful that I can enjoy for years to come rather than blow the money on drink & debauchery!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wait, you say that like it's a bad thing...:unsure: