Web site vs phone app vs premium membership

putsie

Hi all. I am sort of new. 30 finds over 2 yrs ago. I'm just starting again. I'm not sure what the difference is in the web site and the phone app. Would a premium membership apply to one or both? If I use the web site to research caches I want to find, load them into my GPS, log the details on the website, would I need a phone app? Would I need the premium membership?

Thanks for your help.

40 minutes ago, putsie said:

Hi all. I am sort of new. 30 finds over 2 yrs ago. I'm just starting again. I'm not sure what the difference is in the web site and the phone app. Would a premium membership apply to one or both? If I use the web site to research caches I want to find, load them into my GPS, log the details on the website, would I need a phone app? Would I need the premium membership?

Thanks for your help.

No, you don't need either the app or premium membership in those circumstances.

• Upvote 1
45 minutes ago, putsie said:

Thanks for your help.

Would you NEED premium membership? No

Would it make finding those certain types of caches you want to look for easier? Yes, with Pocket Queries.

Depending on which App you choose, the premium membership may give you more caches when caching. Some apps limit the caches you can access if you are a basic member.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, putsie said:

Thanks for your help.

Premium membership covers both website and app.  The phone app isn't needed if using the method you state.  May come in handy sometime...

I've been here since '04, and research the website for caches I want to find,  load them manually into my GPSr, and log the details on the website.  :)

Using this method, the only thing you'd miss out on is "premium member only" caches.  Up to you if you believe they're worth a PM...

Most become PM for lists, bookmarks, notifications, and pocket queries.  We remain PM in the belief that we're helping the site to  continue allowing basic members here a while to still play for free if they need to.    ;)

• Upvote 2

I started geocaching earlier this month & was so excited with my first success I immediately signed up for PM.  Why?  Well I really had minimal appreciation of the benefits to me but it all seemed such a lot of work on someone's part to keep this website up & running that the very modest annual fee is a good way to show support & hopefully maintain standards for all users.  What else has so much potential & ongoing interest & variety for around 50 pence per week?

Too many people these days seem to want something for free, even when the cost of PM in relation to what you can spend on a gps unit/phone/travel costs & other incidentals for this fascinating pursuit is so affordable.

• Upvote 3
4 hours ago, grimpil said:

Too many people these days seem to want something for free, even when the cost of PM in relation to what you can spend on a gps unit/phone/travel costs & other incidentals for this fascinating pursuit is so affordable.

I kinda agree, but also know folks who got hammered by reneged retirement benefits, investments (Worldcom/Enron anyone?...), and something as simple as 401k,  that they're now pretty-much relying on social security only.  One we know thanks the big guy their mortgage was done years ago.  Every dime is counted by more than a few.  We continue with our PM but use little. If I'm helping someone to relax in a hobby for a while, I'm good with that.   :)

Edited by cerberus1

Apart from basic state pension I have no other income.  I just prioritise.  Generally in life the people I encounter who complain the loudest about not being able to afford small pleasures drive smart cars, have massive TV screens, foreign holidays, latest iPhone, load their shopping trollies with food that ends up in the bin etc etc.

I have no doubt my subscription is helping people even lower down the financial pecking order than myself & in genuine need, but I also am pretty certain it is supporting freeloaders.  My own geocaching activity will be limited to my home area & places I may be visting for other reasons,  to see friends, on holiday etc.  I cannot afford the petrol to chase all over the country per se.  The cost of PM gives me more cache options in the areas I can easily visit - I won't get far on 50p worth of fuel!!

2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

I kinda agree, but also know folks who got hammered by reneged retirement benefits, investments (Worldcom/Enron anyone?...), and something as simple as 401k,  that they're now pretty-much relying on social security only.  One we know thanks the big guy their mortgage was done years ago.  Every dime is counted by more than a few.  We continue with our PM but use little. If I'm helping someone to relax in a hobby for a while, I'm good with that.   :)

Yeah.  Will stop working in a few months.  Have to move my 401-k to an IRA when I hit 70-1/2.  Sounds like the government is telling me it's time to retire.  But premium membership is important to the way I geocache.  I think they should give us a Senior Discount!