Large number of photos on a cache page

Pezdude

This is more a technical question, but I'm creating a puzzle that involves 18 different photographs that need to be arranged in chronological order. I'm worried that so many image files on one page might put a heavy burden on some older computers or cellphones. Is there more suitable way of handling this or should I not worry about it?

I dunno about DPI, but you can experiment with JPG compression ratios.  I've found 82% makes for a pretty compact file with very hard-to-notice image degradation due to the lossy compression.

If you make your images 670 pixels wide, they'll fit exactly into the fixed-frame width the website allows.  Larger and the site will shrink it to 670 for display, with a magnifier icon to make it bigger.  But I'm guessing you don't need it bigger.

18 images @ 670px @ 82% quality would probably weigh in at 2-3MB total, less of course if you use smaller images.  That shouldn't break any decent half-modern browser.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Upvote 1

I tend to initially upload my photos to a separate image hosting site. Is it against policy to use smaller versions of the photographs and then include a link to the outside album that contains the full size versions? Or possibly, as  fraggle_[DE] suggested, have them hyperlink to their appropriate full size.

Edited by Pezdude
34 minutes ago, Pezdude said:

I tend to initially upload my photos to a separate image hosting site. Is it against policy to use smaller versions of the photographs and then include a link to the outside album that contains the full size versions? Or possibly, as  fraggle_[DE] suggested, have them hyperlink to their appropriate full size.

Here is an example of a cache which have 10 small thumbnail images and all of them are linked to very large images.

https://coord.info/GC53W28

In this case all of these images are served from geocaching.com but there is no restrictions to use any service you want.