Travel Bug

VAPolice

Not really.  The cache's inventory may say there's a trackable in it, but that's no guarantee.  With what seems to be a real fail on accurate logging lately, we're actually seeing more in caches that don't have one listed in it's inventory. Maybe they stayed safe that way, but incorrectly logged.  You had a couple "go missing" as well, so you know how that feels.  :)

12 hours ago, VAPolice said:

Is there a way to search for caches that contain travel bugs?

12 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Not really.

Well, let's back up a second.

Yes, there is a way to search for geocaches that have travel bugs listed in the inventory.  Although the new search function doesn't indicate caches that have trackables listed, the old search page will display a travel bug or geocoin icon for listings that purport to have trackables inside, like so below:

But, as cerebus1 points out, just because a travel bug is listed in the inventory for a geocache is not a guarantee that the cache actually contains one.  On my screen shot example, both GCQ596 and GC1RYXP show that TBs are listed, but a closer inspection reveals that the TB at GC1RYXP was last seen in 2016 and that many of the trackables listed in GCQ596 haven't been logged since 2017 or earlier -- not promising.

So, while there's a way to initially determine where a TB might be, if you want to ensure you're actually visiting a geocache with an actual trackable inside and present for duty, you may have to dig a little deeper.

capture.JPG

Edited by hzoi
screen cap not embedded
  • Upvote 1
On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 0:24 PM, hzoi said:

Well, let's back up a second.

Yes, there is a way to search for geocaches that have travel bugs listed in the inventory.  Although the new search function doesn't indicate caches that have trackables listed, the old search page will display a travel bug or geocoin icon for listings that purport to have trackables inside, like so below:

But, as cerebus1 points out, just because a travel bug is listed in the inventory for a geocache is not a guarantee that the cache actually contains one.  On my screen shot example, both GCQ596 and GC1RYXP show that TBs are listed, but a closer inspection reveals that the TB at GC1RYXP was last seen in 2016 and that many of the trackables listed in GCQ596 haven't been logged since 2017 or earlier -- not promising.

So, while there's a way to initially determine where a TB might be, if you want to ensure you're actually visiting a geocache with an actual trackable inside and present for duty, you may have to dig a little deeper.

capture.JPG

Any way we can request the new search function to include the presence of trackables in a cache?  Or did I just officially do that?

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:31 PM, hzoi said:

p.s. Almost forgot, this map search for geocoins still exists.  I tried to find it earlier but failed to see where it was linked off the new trackable page -- it's still there, it's just under "Custom trackables," which threw me off.

The same caveat applies -- that only proves they're listed in a cache, not actually present.

Finally got back to reading this post and found the new trackable locator tool.   I don't think I'd have ever looked under custom trackables.   kind of like this better.

Just wanted to add, since the OP is a Premium Member, that another option to find caches that have trackables listed in their inventory is Pocket Queries. There is an option in the PQ tool to select "Have Travel Bugs".

Of course, as already mentioned, just because a cache has a trackable in its inventory doesn't mean that the trackable is actually there. Conversely, a cache might say that there aren't any trackables in it, but there might be some inside that just haven't been logged as dropped into it.

Trackable "inventory" can also be seen on the app. There is a little bug shape icon with a number next to it. This can sometimes be a quick way to check for nearby caches with trackables, just click on each cache icon on the map and look at the bug icon at the bottom to see if there's a number greater than 0. It's not necessary to open each cache details screen on the app to check the inventory count.