Using Trackables, What is the Difference Between Tracking Number and Reference Number?

KonstantinMMRR

I am new to Geocahing and have recently "dropped" my first trackable. I understand the tracking number is listed on a trackable. I was also given a reference number. What is the difference? I am told not to make the tracking number public, but to only use the reference number in any correspondence I do. Please explain why it should be done in this manner. 

Thank you for your help. I am really enjoying this, and would like to gradually learn more about the interesting activity of Geocaching.

Sometimes people notice the Tracking Code mentioned here, a pic with the code visible on it's page, or maybe on a photocopied list at an event.  Many don't like the idea of fake loggers using their trackables just to increase ones trackable "Discover" count for stats without actually seeing the trackable.  Those are called "virtual logs". 

The Reference Number is what you'd use if simply mentioning/call attention to your trackable's page

Some helpful information on trackables in the Help Center.  Notice the site also calls it a code, maybe to get one to remember that codes allow access, (online, unlocks doors, etc.).      :)