oregon 700 update

RussLinda114

Hello. Has anyone had any problems with their oregon 700 since the last update? It's version 4.0. After downloading it my wife and I downloaded one of our lists from geocaching live and headed out to geocache. When we started walking towards our first cache I noticed that the way the map screen looked That it was routing us from the road we parked on not from where i was standing. I was a little confused until i got back out of the map. i went to my main screen and hit (where to) then to(change route activity) I then hit (direct routing) That changed my map back to normal. We then found the cache and hit the next closest. The map went back to routing like i was routing from the road that i parked on instead of where i was standing from. It seems that after the new update the map is set on road routing and  makes me go in each time manualy and change the route setting back to direct routing (straight line). Can anyone help

1. Make sure you're in the geocaching profile/activity mode/whatever they're calling it these days.
2. Go to settings -> routing and change the default routing for that activity to be direct.
3. Also make sure Lock on Road is turned off, which might be the actual problem as it won't route along roads if you don't have a routable map installed and active.

Well I tried going to activities mode and that didn't work so i went back to classic mode (the one i always use) and now it stays on direct routing? It also says under the activities in the menu section that the activity is direct routing and i'm happy with that  I did somehow loose all my data field settings. I don't know how cause they were locked, but were easy to put them back on.

Edited by RussLinda114

your settings, by the way, are unique to each activity profile. So your routing preferences in classic mode won't be the same as in geocaching or hiking or cycling. But as I mentioned earlier, if you don't have a routable map installed, it will always default to direct routing no matter what routing method you choose. Lock on Road does sometimes cause problems whether your map is routable or not.

Yeah now that I'm looking at it I think the update did reset everything. I just was very confused because when I was using it it would not stay on Direct routing. Every time I would find a geocache and then go to the next one it took me back to Road routing and I had to change it it back to direct routing. It does say now under the activities in classic Mode that I am in direct routing. Thanks for the help

Out of curiosity, I just checked all of my profiles, and each profile still has the same routing method as before the update, so I do not believe the 4.00 firmware did anything with routing settings. I suspect the OP might have accidentally changed something or is remembering settings from a different profile, as they are profile dependent. They can find more information here.

Well. I have always used classic mode and had it set to hiking with direct routing, After the update It still was set to classic mode(hiking) so it should have stayed on direct routing. Once I got it to stay on direct routing i had to redo my data fields. Is there anyway that mabye the update didn't install properly? Is there anyway to uninstall and reinstall it? Under my activities in classic mode It now says that my activity is direct routing. 

23 hours ago, RussLinda114 said:

Well. I have always used classic mode and had it set to hiking with direct routing, After the update It still was set to classic mode(hiking) so it should have stayed on direct routing. Once I got it to stay on direct routing i had to redo my data fields. Is there anyway that mabye the update didn't install properly? Is there anyway to uninstall and reinstall it? Under my activities in classic mode It now says that my activity is direct routing. 

I have experienced, in the past, with older units, a situation where some of the profile settings may become corrupted or changed after an update. On these units, I would create a new 'Profile' ('Activity' on the Oregon 7x0) and name it 'Update'. I would then change to this profile before connecting my GPSr to my PC and performing updates, then switch back to my desired profile after the update was completed. This usually limited any unwanted update issues to the 'Update' profile only. 

I have not experienced this issue with my Oregon 6x0/7x0 units, but that doesn't mean it can't happen!

On 2/27/2018 at 8:16 AM, Atlas Cached said:

I have experienced, in the past, with older units, a situation where some of the profile settings may become corrupted or changed after an update. On these units, I would create a new 'Profile' ('Activity' on the Oregon 7x0) and name it 'Update'. I would then change to this profile before connecting my GPSr to my PC and performing updates, then switch back to my desired profile after the update was completed. This usually limited any unwanted update issues to the 'Update' profile only. 

I have not experienced this issue with my Oregon 6x0/7x0 units, but that doesn't mean it can't happen!

That is a great idea I will do that thank you. It was just crazy when my wife and I set out that day. The GPS would always start me at my initial point which was the car instead of where I was standing. Thanks again I will certainly do that.

10 hours ago, Jffok said:

I have just bought a Garmin 700 and I am having all kinds of problems trying to get it set up.  Can someone direct me to someone that might can talk me through setting it up.  Google is really not much help to me. 

What settings are you having issues with? The 7x0 is very similar to the 6x0 series, with some added features, and you can find a ton of info on those units at GPSrChive.com.

As mentioned by Jffok, I am also having issues with my Oregon 700.  1)  Live Geocaching works inconsistently even when I'm synced with my smartphone. 2)  Caches do not always download so we get out in the field and I'm missing about half of the caches.  If we have over 8-10 caches, we use the list download feature which appears to work most of the time. 3) Caches do not stay open during our search time.  In order to log a find (or DNF), have to reload the cache.  4) The wireless sharing option has never worked.  One of us has a Garmin GPSMaps64 and we can never send or receive between these units.

Thank you for the reference to GPSrChive.com.  I will check it out.

I am using my smartphone in conjunction with the Oregon 700 now and it appears my Samsung works much better for hunting a small amount of caches in areas with sufficient signal strength. Meanwhile, I just went on eBay and bought the older model GPS (Oregon 550) since I loved that one - until its power button died and Garmin steered me into the 700 model. 

I bought my Oregon 700 in February of 2018.  I have yet been able to geocache with it.   I just cannot get it to set it for just normal geocaching.   Finally thought I had it after finding a setting that was not allowing it to download all the caches in my pocket querry.  Fixed that.   Now since I down load my querries to gsak then to my gps that does not recognize the Oregon 700.  It goes from 650 to 750 which I had used both options before this week.   

So I guess my next step is to start watch ebay for an older model gps as my Oregon 450 is just about to give up the ghost. 

3 minutes ago, Jffok said:

I bought my Oregon 700 in February of 2018.  I have yet been able to geocache with it.   I just cannot get it to set it for just normal geocaching.   Finally thought I had it after finding a setting that was not allowing it to download all the caches in my pocket querry.  Fixed that.   Now since I down load my querries to gsak then to my gps that does not recognize the Oregon 700.  It goes from 650 to 750 which I had used both options before this week.   

So I guess my next step is to start watch ebay for an older model gps as my Oregon 450 is just about to give up the ghost. 

Not sure what 'normal geocaching' is, nor do you give enough information for anyone to understand specifically what you are having trouble with, but I can say that the Oregon 7x0 is the best geocaching unit Garmin have produced to date. And GSAK has no trouble sending and receiving data with it.

You'll need to be much more specific to get any useful help.

For all intents and purposes, the Oregon 750 is the same as the Oregon 700 for files and data. They're the same, with the 750 having a camera. But beyond that, there shouldn't be significant differences in the way the 700 and 600 work, and for loading GPX files, it's been the same going back all the way to the Oregon 300 and the Colorado units.

One possible hiccup I have with my 600 is that if I have a GGZ file loaded, it doesn't always want to read geocaches from GPX files simultaneously, even though in theory it should be able to do so. So maybe check that all geocaches have actually been purged from the unit before loading your GSAK file.

7 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

Not sure what 'normal geocaching' is, nor do you give enough information for anyone to understand specifically what you are having trouble with, but I can say that the Oregon 7x0 is the best geocaching unit Garmin have produced to date. And GSAK has no trouble sending and receiving data with it.

You'll need to be much more specific to get any useful help.

Sorry I was about to head for church when I saw your reply.   Normal is I don't use wifi , blue tooth, or any of that.   Just classic (I think it is called ) geocaching.   Download a pq and that is pretty much it.   No other activities.

Until a few days ago I hooked it to my computer and using gsak I downloaded my pq but had to select the 65o or the 750 Oregon.  Both worked fine.  I was only getting a few caches from the pocket query to download and found I had a setting that was limited to a 1.5 difficutly on family friendly.    Corrected that.

But now gsak doesn't recognize it and  my computer shows it entirely differently than it did.  

opened.JPG

Edited by Jffok
add picture
1 hour ago, Jffok said:

Sorry I was about to head for church when I saw your reply.   Normal is I don't use wifi , blue tooth, or any of that.   Just classic (I think it is called ) geocaching.   Download a pq and that is pretty much it.   No other activities.

Until a few days ago I hooked it to my computer and using gsak I downloaded my pq but had to select the 65o or the 750 Oregon.  Both worked fine.  I was only getting a few caches from the pocket query to download and found I had a setting that was limited to a 1.5 difficutly on family friendly.    Corrected that.

But now gsak doesn't recognize it and  my computer shows it entirely differently than it did.  

opened.JPG

No reason to be sorry! We all need a day of rest!

You do realize you can download that same PQ directly to your Oregon 7x0 wirelessly, using either the Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, don't you? Would save a LOT of steps!

The 'filters' you mention were in GSAK, so now it makes sense why you were not getting the entire PQ, which would not happen if you loaded in wirelessly, then filtered them on the device as desired.

As for GSAK not recognizing it, have you changed the interface settings on the Oreogn 7x0? Does Windows assign a drive letter when you connect it? I can't tell from the cropped screenshot if it has a Drive Letter...

The interface on the gps had been changed but not by my intent.        I am just have so many operating problems with the gps that I guess I have changed settings I should not have.

I have it working on the downloads now.   I can select a geocache and naviagate to it .  Now I just have to figure out the settings for marking it found, not found or checking hints, other logs etc,. 

My 450 t is an 8 year old model and all this new stuff is really hard to learn but I am trying to google instructions. 

56 minutes ago, Jffok said:

The interface on the gps had been changed but not by my intent.        I am just have so many operating problems with the gps that I guess I have changed settings I should not have.

I have it working on the downloads now.   I can select a geocache and naviagate to it .  Now I just have to figure out the settings for marking it found, not found or checking hints, other logs etc,. 

My 450 t is an 8 year old model and all this new stuff is really hard to learn but I am trying to google instructions. 

You can learn a lot about how that device works here, if you haven't seen that yet, which I am assuming you haven't....

2 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

You can learn a lot about how that device works here, if you haven't seen that yet, which I am assuming you haven't....

Thanks for your help.   I did check out that site but could not find the information that I need.   I can navigate to the cache but cannot find the option to log found, did not find, find next, view hint, etc.   I am going to try to call Garmin as a last resort.     

2 hours ago, Jffok said:

Thanks for your help.   I did check out that site but could not find the information that I need.   I can navigate to the cache but cannot find the option to log found, did not find, find next, view hint, etc.   I am going to try to call Garmin as a last resort.     

That information is all there!

Look under Applications > Geocaching > Active Geocache > Create Log

8^)

Edited by Atlas Cached
On 4/2/2018 at 9:30 PM, Nick&Nora2 said:

As mentioned by Jffok, I am also having issues with my Oregon 700.  1)  Live Geocaching works inconsistently even when I'm synced with my smartphone. 2)  Caches do not always download so we get out in the field and I'm missing about half of the caches.  If we have over 8-10 caches, we use the list download feature which appears to work most of the time. 3) Caches do not stay open during our search time.  In order to log a find (or DNF), have to reload the cache.  4) The wireless sharing option has never worked.  One of us has a Garmin GPSMaps64 and we can never send or receive between these units.

Thank you for the reference to GPSrChive.com.  I will check it out.

I am using my smartphone in conjunction with the Oregon 700 now and it appears my Samsung works much better for hunting a small amount of caches in areas with sufficient signal strength. Meanwhile, I just went on eBay and bought the older model GPS (Oregon 550) since I loved that one - until its power button died and Garmin steered me into the 700 model. 

I wish I'd read this before purchasing my new 700 last week.  I too had a 550t and its button broke which is why I upgraded to this as it didn't seem that I could get another 550t.  I took the 700 for a test on Saturday and ended up doing most of the 5 caches on the iPhone/my old 400t (which I'd upgraded to the 550t years ago because it had conked out, only for it to revive after a factory reset).  The 400t isn't that easy to read now, so whilst I have just switched the TOPO card into it for now, I don't want to use it indefinitely, but I was already edging towards disfavour to the 700 before the starting screen froze yesterday and refuses to do anything else.  I was already finding it clunky; now I'm just annoyed.

Any advice welcome (Garmin Express is fine, but I can't do anything with it at all). 

23 minutes ago, Original A1 said:

P.S. It came with everything set to Finnish!  Took me an age to find the right place to change the language.  My Suomi ain't what it could be! lol

Your Oregon 7x0 was not new. Where did you purchase the unit?

Garmin GPSr always ask the user what language they desire when first powered on when they are new. If you are having trouble with the device, it very well be due to something someone did to it before you purchased it 'as new'.

Many, if not most issues users report for the Oregon 7x0 are self inflicted.

1 minute ago, Atlas Cached said:

Your Oregon 7x0 was not new. Where did you purchase the unit?

Garmin GPSr always ask the user what language they desire when first powered on when they are new. If you are having trouble with the device, it very well be due to something someone did to it before you purchased it 'as new'.

Many, if not most issues users report for the Oregon 7x0 are self inflicted.

Directly from Garmin!!!!

Just now, Atlas Cached said:

When?

If just recently, insist they replace it with a new unit.

Yes very recently.  I sent my 550t to them a week past Saturday and on receipt of it, they sent this out to me (with 30% discount for returning the 550t).  It arrived on Thursday, I got out of the box on Friday and used it just this Saturday afternoon.  Thanks for the heads-up re the language settings.  I think it's time to contact Garmin...

So you probably received a refurbished unit (which some will argue is even better than NIB), but it should have still booted to the language selection menu when first powered on. I would ask them why it did not do that.... Yes, a Master Reset will cause it to do that again. You may want to try that and start from the beginning again.

Edited by Atlas Cached

So you probably received a refurbished unit (which some will argue is even better than NIB), but it shoul dhave still booted to the language selection menu when first powered on. I would ask them why it did not do that.... Yes, a Master Reset will cause it to do that again. You may want to try that and start from the beginning again.

Interesting because everything seemed to be sealed, but perhaps that was just the TOPO bit.  I would take issue with them if it is refurbished because that should have been made clear.  I paid £499.99 (-30%) for a NEW unit, not a refurb.  Even less impressed, alas.

Well, only they will be able to answer those questions.

A New In Box unit will boot to the language selection menu when first powered on. If any other language selection was already present, and you had to play with the unit to eventually find the correct selections to press to return device to language you desire, the unit "was not new."

Well, only they will be able to answer those questions.

A New In Box unit will boot to the language selection menu when first powered on. If any other language selection was already present, and you had to play with the unit to eventually find the correct selections to press to return device to language you desire, the unit "was not new."

Thanks.  Definitely worth knowing.