HTML question on making a mystery

Ginirover

Hay Folks

I'm working on a new puzzle cache, the puzzle itself won't be difficult but I'm working on the layout of it..

Can’t say a lot about the cache itself yet but what I’d like to do is addressing the cacher on the site personally, so starting with “Hi [geocaching name]”, than followed by the text of the mystery. Somebody who is logged in on the site has his/her geocaching name on the right on the top of the page and I’m wondering is there’s a HTML-way to pick up that name over there and reproduce it again in the welcome…

Thanks for helping out (if possible at all ofcourse)

1 hour ago, Ginirover said:

Can’t say a lot about the cache itself yet but what I’d like to do is addressing the cacher on the site personally, so starting with “Hi [geocaching name]”, than followed by the text of the mystery. Somebody who is logged in on the site has his/her geocaching name on the right on the top of the page and I’m wondering is there’s a HTML-way to pick up that name over there and reproduce it again in the welcome…

There is no way for HTML to do that. You need some sort of program, and HTML is not a programming language. JavaScript could do it, but JavaScript is not allowed in geocache descriptions.

For reference, see the Help Center article HTML in cache pages.

There's a trick that gets you _closer_, but not enough. You can dynamically generate an image with text in it, but the only problem is you don't have security rights to know who is logged in to the website. ie, you could use an img tag to show an image hosted on an external site which dynamically creates it using information from the user's browser - referrer, ip address, etc. But the login details are secure and restricted to geocaching.com.   If you have the wherewithall to create something like that, maybe that could nudge you a similar creative direction.

I used a similar trick for a cache of mine, VLADAMIR