West Virginia Rant

skyraider

Just have to let off a little steam. Looking for opinions.

Over 10 years ago, the W. V. Wildlife Management Area folks up in the Northern part of my state decided that Geocaches were "Abandoned Property" and confiscated them in our Area. Check out PAFARMBOY's terrific caches-(MENSA OR MEATHEAD..WHICH ONE ARE YOU, GCYCVP) or (LESS THINKING....MORE HIKING, GC11WP7) which he had to archive. I have not been been permitted to hide tupperware on these large parcels of land since. 

Recently the same state organization has approved the building of a huge turbine powered powerplant on this same land:

The new site is in a portion of the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources Cross Creek Wildlife Management Area.

According to the company’s website, the plant would generate enough natural gas electricity to power about 700,000 homes. The information states it will eventually leading to $440.5 million worth of economic activity per year.

Information from the Public Service Commission of West Virginia shows the plant will consist of two combustion turbines that will drive two generators, along with an additional steam turbine.

Just proves that "MONEY TALKS AND GEOCACHING WALKS!!!!"

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, skyraider said:

Just have to let off a little steam. Looking for opinions.

Over 10 years ago, the W. V. Wildlife Management Area folks up in the Northern part of my state decided that Geocaches were "Abandoned Property" and confiscated them in our Area. Check out PAFARMBOY's terrific caches-(MENSA OR MEATHEAD..WHICH ONE ARE YOU, GCYCVP) or (LESS THINKING....MORE HIKING, GC11WP7) which he had to archive. I have not been been permitted to hide tupperware on these large parcels of land since. 

Sorry, but after visiting Logan and riding the Rock House Trail for the oldest cache in the State and Bear Wallow, all the caches in the area there ARE "Abandoned Property".

I picked up the litter and replaced what I could with new containers for the next seekers.

I do believe that about the same time my home State of Virginia deemed geocaches on National Forest property to be abandoned property as well, and no new cache placements are allowed without a special use permit for $60 per year per geocache.

I hate to say it, but I agree with the Wildlife Management people in your State because of poor cache ownership.

• Upvote 1
On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:47 PM, skyraider said:

Over 10 years ago, the W. V. Wildlife Management Area folks up in the Northern part of my state decided that Geocaches were "Abandoned Property" and confiscated them in our Area.

Was this a reversal of a previous policy? That is, were those caches previously hidden with permission, or did the land manager discover that geocaches had been hidden without permission and implemented a policy forbidding them? If the caches were originally hidden without permission, then their decision is completely understandable and has happened in many areas.

Recently the same state organization has approved the building of a huge turbine powered powerplant on this same land

I'm struggling to find a connection between the authorized construction of a power plant and the abandoning of Tupperware for a game.