Earthcache logging date dilemma

Cacheism 500

26 minutes ago, geocat_ said:

Agree.  Log it the date you went to GZ and completed the learning questions.  Unless you are doing a Mooncache which require travel time back to Earth and, thus, may be logged on the date you return to Earth.  

Would we have to then subdivide geocaches into Terracaches, Lunacaches etc.........

1 hour ago, Cacheism 500 said:

If the latter, does this not create a very sneaky way of calendar filling on days you don't want to leave the house?!

There are a few locals that do exactly this. They'll get the necessary information for EarthCaches or Virtuals, but "save" them and wait to log the find until a more convenient day. It shouldn't come as a surprise that these same people are also working on filling their calendar and/or streaking. Many of us know that their legitimate streaks ended long ago.

Log it for the day you were there.

• Upvote 5
On 2/23/2018 at 5:04 PM, cerberus1 said:

Yep.  In fact, the Help Center says, "Asking geocachers to research the topic online" is an unacceptable logging task.

This reminded me that we have a couple older earthcaches that don't comport with this rule -- changed up the logging tasks.  I didn't check 'em all, but I think we're now compliant.

On 2/23/2018 at 5:04 PM, cerberus1 said:

Yep.  In fact, the Help Center says, "Asking geocachers to research the topic online" is an unacceptable logging task.

Then I'd say that pretty much none of the earthcaches I've logged were "acceptable".  It's why I don't really enjoy ECs...they have all required me to do obscure research and skim through wikipedia articles to answer vague questions about stuff that often isn't even observable at GZ.  

8 hours ago, J Grouchy said:

Then I'd say that pretty much none of the earthcaches I've logged were "acceptable".  It's why I don't really enjoy ECs...they have all required me to do obscure research and skim through wikipedia articles to answer vague questions about stuff that often isn't even observable at GZ.  

When I first submitted my EC, I mentioned in my description something like "an internet search will reveal all manner of theories" and even though completing the EC tasks didn't require actually doing that search, the reviewer objected and, in hindsight, rightly so. Off the top of my head, I don't recall ever having to go looking stuff up to complete any of the ECs I've found, other than to further my own interest - all the required information is in the description or can be inferred at GZ - so maybe the Geoaware reviewers here are a bit more strict on that.

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

maybe the Geoaware reviewers here are a bit more strict on that.

The guidelines on earthcaches have changed a few times over the years.  Some rules have been made retroactive, like the prohibition against requiring a logging photo (which dates back to January 2011, if I recall correctly).  Others have not, like the requirement to have an earthcache translated into the local language.  I don't know whether this is one of the retroactive changes or not, but either way, I know that enforcement has been reactive, not proactive (or retroactive) -- that is, the rule changes are only enforced when earthcaches are submitted or otherwise brought to the geoawares' attention, but they're not out going through old listings to bring them into compliance.

(As an aside, I am continually bewildered that, even though logging photos now have been against the earthcache rules longer than they ever were allowed, I still come across earthcaches that require them.  It almost always seems like news to the cache owner.)

• Upvote 2
On 2/26/2018 at 6:48 AM, J Grouchy said:

I guess I’m lucky and have never seen an EarthCache like this, nor do I own any EarthCaches like that. I’d be curious to see an example as I like to continually update my EarthCache knowledge.