Request for Scouts geocaching

8thScoutGroup

On 2/23/2018 at 9:18 AM, 8thScoutGroup said:

Hello :-) I mentioned on another thread (under my personal username) that I'm helping to organise an evening's geocaching for my local Scout group and someone answered to say it may be possible to have a month's trial membership to introduce them to it. Please could we? It would be very gratefully received :-) 

Geocaching is a FREE hobby to enjoy. You now have two different free memberships, and are able to access the basics if the hobby. Spend some time in the Help Center, and you will be able to learn all about the fun.

Using one of your accounts, search for an event in your area. You may be able to find a local experienced Geocacher to help teach your group about Geocaching.

• Upvote 3

As others said, just  by creating an account you now have a basic membership.  I don't believe a premium membership will help that much with your instruction of young scouts.  You don't have finds yourself, and could use some help.  Like K13, I'd think finding a local-to-you experienced geocacher who'll help out a good bet .     :) 

Lots of helpful information on the hobby in Geocaching 101 and the Help Center.

• Upvote 2
On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:18 AM, 8thScoutGroup said:

I mentioned on another thread (under my personal username) that I'm helping to organise an evening's geocaching for my local Scout group and someone answered to say it may be possible to have a month's trial membership to introduce them to it. Please could we? It would be very gratefully received :-) 

A person becomes a free, basic member when opening an account.  A "month's trial membership" is for a one-time free month of premium membership.

Possible I guess, but I can't see the site "gifting" a PM to an entire scout troop.  

Are you planning to use GPS units or smart phones.? If you are using GPS units you can preload them with the caches you plan to seek from the website or it may make more sense to hide a variety of temporary caches to use for demonstration purposes. If you are using smart phones you can still use this approach by having the scouts enter the coordinates by hand or you might create a troop account and share the log in. If anyone got really interested, they would probably want their own account. Also you might want to reach out to some area geocachers and see if they are willing to help. Check out who owns local caches and who hosts events.

36 minutes ago, Team Taran said:

Are you planning to use GPS units or smart phones.? If you are using GPS units you can preload them with the caches you plan to seek from the website or it may make more sense to hide a variety of temporary caches to use for demonstration purposes. .

Don't some of the API apps have the "send to" feature as well?

Edited by Manville Possum