National Register of Historic Places Multiple Properties

I have posted a topic regarding NRHD Multiple Property Listings to see if these would fit in any existing category. It appears this is an unserved topic and I am opening discussion to see if there would be interest in this category. Here is info from the National Park Service regarding  Multiple Property Submissions explanation and submissions . It does appear this is a distinct category of NRHP that is not covered by NRHP or NRHD. There is a spreadsheet on the NPS NRHD Search page of Multiple Property Listings. Maybe this is an unserved category that could be fun for Waymarking.

I have created a group named US National Register of Multiple Property Listings for those who are interested. I see this category as being similar in style to U.S. National Register of Historic Places and NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings . I know this is specific to the USA, but it does allow for greater exploration of our history.

I'm unfamiliar with this type of classification, but after reading the articles I see that there is a distinction between contributing properties and individual NRHP listings. I have actually seen quite a few of these, which makes them difficult to post in either category because of their distances. I've seen ones that literally cover entire states. I'd be in favor of such category as it clearly helps fill in the gaps where these two categories alone cannot.

I happened to run across a Multiple Property Listing yesterday, somewhere in Montana, can't remember where now.

So, interest increasing here. However...

Reading the Multiple Property Submissions explanation I see that the idea is to categorize properties thematically so that they may later be submitted for registration as a group - meaning that if one waits long enough the ones deemed eligible will eventually be national register properties. Given that, I see no point in trying to create a category for properties that will (or won't, because they are, for whatever reason, unworthy) be entered in the register in the future. Basically, a Multiple Property Listing seems to me to be akin to pre nomination paperwork intended to result in NRHP registrations. The end result is the same, no matter how it is accomplished. As stated in the explanation, the MPS is simply an attempt to streamline the paperwork.

Initially, a multiple property listing is simply documentation. If the properties are listed on the register as a Multiple Property Submission, each individual property will (or should) also have an individual Registration Form. It seems to me, then, that a category for Multiple Property Listings would be duplicated by the NRHP listing which occurred later.

Keith

• Upvote 2

I have also been looking further into the Multiple Listing and am finding that the properties are often already or eventually listed as a stand-alone or part of a district. The specific properties are often listed in a narrative form instead of a list of the specific property as one often finds in NRHD. So I am thinking this may not be that valid for another category. Thanks for everyone's interest!

Take care, Sandy

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Outspoken1 said:

I have also been looking further into the Multiple Listing and am finding that the properties are often already or eventually listed as a stand-alone or part of a district. The specific properties are often listed in a narrative form instead of a list of the specific property as one often finds in NRHD. So I am thinking this may not be that valid for another category. Thanks for everyone's interest!

Take care, Sandy

Thanks for continuing the research and making the determination on this proposal.