Retain star for cache originator and credit for find.

Chucker46

2 hours ago, Chucker46 said:

When I create and submit a cache to be published, I appreciate that it shows up on the map as a star so when one is reported in need of maintainance it is readily found on the map. I should be able to log this cache for credit and retain the star for identification.

Logging your own cache was finally nixed in April last year.  The site's reason was "We believe these changes will streamline the core logging structure of the game, address requests for these changes from the community, and reduce confusion for our newer community members", and I agree.    :)

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, on4bam said:

Could that be the reason I see more OM AFTER caches are archived (by their owner)?

I don't know why they would bother. Increasing the Cache Health Score on an archived cache seems pointless. I would expect that the CHS wouldn't even be calculated anymore once a cache is archived, because there wouldn't be any purpose or benefit. What you see is probably just owners who misunderstand the purpose of the archive log and think they can reactivate the cache after they perform maintenance.

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, The A-Team said:
8 hours ago, on4bam said:

Could that be the reason I see more OM AFTER caches are archived (by their owner)?

I don't know why they would bother. Increasing the Cache Health Score on an archived cache seems pointless. I would expect that the CHS wouldn't even be calculated anymore once a cache is archived, because there wouldn't be any purpose or benefit. What you see is probably just owners who misunderstand the purpose of the archive log and think they can reactivate the cache after they perform maintenance.

It might also just be because OM is the default log type even on archived caches. This whole idea of pre-choosing a default type for logs is causing a lot of this sort of thing.

• Upvote 4
16 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

It might also just be because OM is the default log type even on archived caches. This whole idea of pre-choosing a default type for logs is causing a lot of this sort of thing.

Ahaa, now I understand why I have noticed a few OMs lately that were used just as a message with no maintenance info at all and that would previously be a note. Now I switched to the new logging experience and see that it really is a default log type for cache owners. Not a good idea.

19 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

In a way it makes sense that the default is OM. If the owner of the cache clicks the "Log Geocache" button, most often an owner wants to post a log maintenance note. But maybe I'm wrong, maybe most owners want to make an "I'll fix the cache eventually" note instead, and they ignore the drop menu choices. Maybe it would better if the default were 'Write Note'. 

FYI, I've complained several times when COs have posted OMs for "I'll fix the cache eventually" statements, but they never replied or changed the OM to a Write Note.

2 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

In a way it makes sense that the default is OM.

If the default would be "choose log type" and a warning would be shown if no choice was made at least the CO would be forced to chose the correct logtype. The same goes for ordinary logging via the website.

• Upvote 7
On 2/19/2018 at 11:20 PM, Keystone said:

To be clear, you're asking for the ability to log a "found it" on your own hidden cache?  :huh:

It seems like the OP is mainly asking for the "star" icon to remain on owned caches that are/were found by the owner.  Um, yeah... so after logging the owned cache as a find, still having the "star" show.  If you want to retain the star icon, don't log a find on it.  That would work. B)

I'm pretty sure this topic has been brought up before.  "I need this icon to be that icon" is a common subject around here.

I have two caches that I found and adopted (one found after adoption, they were offered as a set :cute:).  The non-star icon (it's a Smiley) is not all that confusing to me, but there are only those two caches.

Edited by kunarion
3 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

In a way it makes sense that the default is OM. If the owner of the cache clicks the "Log Geocache" button, most often an owner wants to post a log maintenance note. But maybe I'm wrong, maybe most owners want to make an "I'll fix the cache eventually" note instead, and they ignore the drop menu choices. Maybe it would better if the default were 'Write Note'. 

FYI, I've complained several times when COs have posted OMs for "I'll fix the cache eventually" statements, but they never replied or changed the OM to a Write Note.

For me it makes more sense to simply not have a default log type and require one to be selected from the list, which is how it used to work on the website and how it still works on the app. Without going through and checking, a fair number of my CO logs would be notes for TB drops or TD/ENs when there's been something like a hazard reduction burn going on and GZ is temporarily closed to the public.

2 hours ago, kunarion said:

It seems like the OP is mainly asking for the "star" icon to remain on owned caches that are/were found by the owner.  Um, yeah... so after logging the owned cache as a find, still having the "star" show.  If you want to retain the star icon, don't log a find on it.  That would work. B)

I'm pretty sure this topic has been brought up before.  "I need this icon to be that icon" is a common subject around here.

I have two caches that I found and adopted (one found after adoption, they were offered as a set :cute:).  The non-star icon (it's a Smiley) is not all that confusing to me, but there are only those two caches.

There's a cache I found and subsequently adopted. On the main map, it shows as a smiley, but if I map the results of a search that includes it (like all mysteries within 15km of home, for example), it shows as a star. Weird.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:09 AM, RuideAlmeida said:

Every time you log a Owner Maintenance, your score is improved... so you get credit for it, while not "visible". :)

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:16 AM, on4bam said:

If the possibility exists that an OM on an archived cache increases one's "score", I'd bet that if word got out of another "reward" cache giveaway , there'd be a buncha archived PT owners logging a "Picked up the container" OMs on the archive date.  :) 

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

You're arguing for OM to be the default if there's a default, but what doesn't make sense is to have a default. Logs posted by owners are both important and uncommon, so it's much more important to make sure the CO posts the right log type than make it efficient to post a log for those cases where he does in fact want the default log type. That's easily done by not providing a default so the CO has to think about and choose the right type every time he posts a log.

• Upvote 3
22 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

When I notice such OM next time I'll probably complain with NM saying "OK, but until then it still needs maintenance" so the red wrench goes back. :)

• Upvote 5
On 2/21/2018 at 0:47 PM, on4bam said:

If the default would be "choose log type" and a warning would be shown if no choice was made at least the CO would be forced to chose the correct logtype. The same goes for ordinary logging via the website.

That's a pretty standard way of handling select lists and my preference over a site which tries to direct users to a "default" choice.

• Upvote 1
On 2/20/2018 at 0:16 PM, on4bam said:

Quoting myself for a change.

After a weekly PQ update I noticed a 100+ series was archived, the CO posted the archived log himself and then posted Owner Maintenance on the caches with NM... not on the others. Must be something to do with CHS or at least because CO's think it affects CHS.

5 hours ago, on4bam said:

After a weekly PQ update I noticed a 100+ series was archived, the CO posted the archived log himself and then posted Owner Maintenance on the caches with NM... not on the others. Must be something to do with CHS or at least because CO's think it affects CHS.

Or it has nothing to do with CHS, but simply that the CO doesn't like to see his list of caches with NM attributes on them, even when they're archived.

• Upvote 1
38 minutes ago, TriciaG said:

Or it has nothing to do with CHS, but simply that the CO doesn't like to see his list of caches with NM attributes on them, even when they're archived.

This. That practice has been around for a long time; I've done it a few times as well, before having any idea about the existence of the CHS.

5 hours ago, on4bam said:

Torn, I sorta agree with Tricia G , maybe just doesn't want those NMs to show for some weird personal reason.  

But just as possible these days, if they really do believe they're "covering up" their lack of maintenance with those OMs, that they've "cured" their maintenance issues with the site's new algorithm (and archiving them themselves...) , they may believe it helps them later as well.    :)

• Upvote 1
35 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Torn, I sorta agree with Tricia G , maybe just doesn't want those NMs to show for some weird personal reason.  

There's also the factor of the site reminding you that you have caches that may need maintenance. Not sure if there's report of that happening on archived caches, but otherwise yeah, I suppose an OCD-style discomfort having alack of closure with NM flags on archived caches could be considered a "weird personal reason" ;)