How to Post National Register of Historic Places Multiple Properties

Outspoken1

I have several potential Waymarks that are from NRHP Multiple Property Submissions. These NRHP have to meet the same criteria of a single NRHP, but they may cover several locations throughout a county or state that follows a theme (schools, ranches, mining history, etc.). Would these go in the U.S. National Register of Historic Places Waymark category? Or do we need a new category? If so, I'll be happy to work on it with others who may be interested.

"Multiple property submissions group significant properties by related themes, trends, and patterns of history.  Each property listed under a multiple property submission is related to the common theme.  Multiple property submissions fall within three broad types:

National Register Multiple Property Submission

A series of individual and/or district listings of thematically-related historic properties. (Example: Historic Farms and Ranches of Weld County)

National Register Multiple Resource Area

A series of individual and/or district listings from a single geographic area which encompasses a series of resources linked by place rather than by historic association.  (Example: Manitou Springs Multiple Resource Area)

National Register Thematic Resource

A series of individual and/or district listings of thematically-related historic properties.  (Example: Vehicular Bridges in Colorado Thematic Resource)

The historic contexts and registration requirements developed as part of a particular multiple property submission facilitate the identification and evaluation of similar properties in the future.  In some cases, properties already individually listed in the National Register may be covered." (from History Colorado NRHP Multiple Property Submissions )

Here are some examples of the NRHP forms for Colorado: Agricultural Resources of Boulder County ; Highway Bridges in Colorado and Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 .

Well, if we take Hinsdale County Metal Mining as an example, each of the properties has an individual listing, which is what I would use to submit each one individually.

I noticed that with some of the Multiple Property Submissions (MPS) no individual properties are included in the listing, only an overview of the theme.  Highway Bridges in Colorado is an example.

I haven't had to deal with Multiple Property Submissions, except once, quite a while ago, so I'm not sure of the protocol for creating submissions for these, or even if there is one. I wish I could remember the MPS I ran across, then I could see how I handled it.

Another example, Historic Resources of Camp George West, Camp George West is listed at the National Register as a historic district. I suspect quite a number of MPSs will also be historic districts.

I'm sure somebody here knows more about this than I do...

Keith

I checked regarding districts years ago (emailed BruceS since he is the Leader of US NRHP and NRHD). No, they are not districts since they may cover specific sites throughout the state. These are another category of NRHP that would be fun and interesting to Waymark. I am finally getting time to start posting Waymarks (must have 4,000 on my computer!) and came across this issue from some Waymarks I acquired in 2016. So I thought I would raise the question for guidance.

5 hours ago, Outspoken1 said:

I checked regarding districts years ago (emailed BruceS since he is the Leader of US NRHP and NRHD). No, they are not districts since they may cover specific sites throughout the state. These are another category of NRHP that would be fun and interesting to Waymark. I am finally getting time to start posting Waymarks (must have 4,000 on my computer!) and came across this issue from some Waymarks I acquired in 2016. So I thought I would raise the question for guidance.

I agree that they are not districts, but some seem to be the equivalent of districts. It might be a viable category. I haven't encountered enough of them to know one way or the other.

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters

Here is info from the National Park Service regarding  Multiple Property Submissions explanation and submissions . It does appear this is a distinct category of NRHP that is not covered by NRHP or NRHD. The above links from the Colorado website are not the complete form (arrgh! They do that often - just post part of the form leaving out the details). There is a spreadsheet on the NPS NRHD Search page of Multiple Property Listings. Maybe this is an unserved category that could be fun for Waymarking.

Yes, I am looking at various Multiple Property listings and there is no index similar to the NRHD Contributing Buildings. There are many properties listed in the text of the Multiple Property Listing, but not a unique list as is done in NRHD. Hmmm... I have found some of the Ornamental Concrete Block Buildings in Colorado (see page 21). I just did a web search for the buildings and found some of them on the various County's website (ex. CITY OF GLENWOOD SPRINGS, COLORADO HISTORICALLY LANDMARKED & SIGNIFICANT PLACES see page 15). Thus my curiosity was aroused regarding Multiple Property Listings.

I found a webpage regarding National Register Multiple Property Submission Contexts for California . Since I am not familiar with California (other than general knowledge), perhaps you could peruse these documents and give us your opinion.