First cache

Cachesaurous

Hello friends

I want to do my first cache and I'm reading over all the rules and guides I can.

On some of the fine print it mentions taking on some liabilities.  So I'm not doing anything risky with my cache or in any violations for the position. Or at least that's what I think at this point I'm still researching.

I guess it makes me a little concerned about liabilities and what that could actually mean.

Another comment that came up in a podcast I was listening to was that the possessions like a geocoin could become my responsibility if it goes missing from my cache,  is this a concern or did I misunderstand it.

I'm trying to do the best job I can and it here to all the rules and make a good quality cash I have some concerns because I don't want to get trouble and I don't want anybody coming to my cash to be hurt.  I suppose I'm just wondering what that fine print would include and how I can protect myself and continue having fun and moving on to the next step of the game.

Thank you in advance I know it's not a clear question that I'm asking but I would appreciate your time.

2 hours ago, Caitandjay23 said:

I want to do my first cache and I'm reading over all the rules and guides I can.

On some of the fine print it mentions taking on some liabilities.  So I'm not doing anything risky with my cache or in any violations for the position. Or at least that's what I think at this point I'm still researching.

I guess it makes me a little concerned about liabilities and what that could actually mean.

Another comment that came up in a podcast I was listening to was that the possessions like a geocoin could become my responsibility if it goes missing from my cache,  is this a concern or did I misunderstand it.

Read over the site's Terms of Use.   When signing onto the site we agree that "risk" is on us. 

We have a 5T tree hide.  Most use rope to access.  It's on them to be familiar with whatever means they're using to access it. To be sure they "get it", we also added "Cache seekers assume all risks involved in seeking a cache" on the cache page.

When someone sends out a trackable, they realize that at any time that trackable could go missing.  Once it leaves your possession, you no longer have control over it.  Common sense.  If a geocoin (a trackable I'd never send out today...)  goes missing, as any trackable, we notify the TO first, letting them know.  They might want to send out a proxy.   If they don't respond in a week or two, we mark it missing.  You can mark it missing only if in your cache.

Edited by cerberus1
46 minutes ago, Caitandjay23 said:

I was reading over the terms of use and I don't really understand what the risk is I suppose.  And what am I exactly agreeing to.

I suppose I just want to make sure I'm not opening myself up to some greater risk that I'm ignorant to.  

The very first line in the Terms of Use says:

Cache seekers assume all risks involved in seeking a cache.

How that would hold up in a coroner's court if someone died attempting your cache is another matter and something only you can assess given the nature of your hide.

As for geocoins, the "responsibility" you might have heard about is probably that cache owners are responsible for marking trackables as missing if they're listed in the cache's inventory but not actually in the cache. They're not responsible for making good the missing trackable, just flagging it as missing. See this Help Centre page for more information on a cache owner's responsibilities.

Edited by barefootjeff
Spelling
  • Upvote 1
On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:26 PM, barefootjeff said:

As for geocoins, the "responsibility" you might have heard about is probably that cache owners are responsible for marking trackables as missing if they're listed in the cache's inventory but not actually in the cache. They're not responsible for making good the missing trackable, just flagging it as missing. See this Help Centre page for more information on a cache owner's responsibilities.

I was going to post here that COs aren't actually responsible for trackable maintenance, but I see that the article has been changed. It used to be that COs had the ability to mark trackables as missing, but weren't required to do so. It seems that the guidance surrounding this has since been changed, and now this falls under a CO's responsibilities. There were a number of forum regulars who were vocally opposed to being forced to perform maintenance for a side-game they didn't participate in, so they won't be happy about this change. I guess this now means a cache could be disabled for non-maintenance if a CO doesn't maintain the trackable listing. I usually do it occasionally anyway, but I'll have to make it a regular maintenance action going forward.

• Upvote 2
8 hours ago, The A-Team said:

I was going to post here that COs aren't actually responsible for trackable maintenance, but I see that the article has been changed. It used to be that COs had the ability to mark trackables as missing, but weren't required to do so. It seems that the guidance surrounding this has since been changed, and now this falls under a CO's responsibilities. There were a number of forum regulars who were vocally opposed to being forced to perform maintenance for a side-game they didn't participate in, so they won't be happy about this change. I guess this now means a cache could be disabled for non-maintenance if a CO doesn't maintain the trackable listing. I usually do it occasionally anyway, but I'll have to make it a regular maintenance action going forward.

Noticed that as well, but I don't see that much different than before.

Where it says, "Here is a list of your responsibilities as a cache owner..." one is just, "Mark trackables as missing if they are listed in the inventory but no longer are in the cache".    Finding numerous trackables in our ammo cans after receiving just as many "no trackable in cache" logs,  I'd still want to be sure myself... when I do maintenance.  I think accuracy of logs is important to the TO as well...

After that list it reads,  "After you maintain your cache, make sure to remove the 'Needs Maintenance' icon".  That (to me) seems to say I should do maintenance first - as we've always done.     :)

- Odd though that wording is "maintenance"  with a NM, like every action required to maintain should receive a NM...

Edited by cerberus1
  • Upvote 1