How to download caches directly to GPS from Geocaching.com

Tubby and Chubby

Plugins haven't been supported by most browsers for some time for security reasons.

In the Help Center's Download caches to a GPS, you'll see options are kinda limited as a basic member.

I believe your discontinued model is similar to mine (60cxs), in that the new "Send to Garmin" feature wouldn't work for you even as a PM anyway, due to it's age.  A Premium Membership would get you GPX files and PQs...

- But I've loaded caches to a Handheld GPSr manually since starting.  Your "best day" (caches found in one day) was 9, and (for me) that'd really only take a few minutes to load manually.   :)

Premium member here.  We bought a Garmin 64s and with this unit only, when we load a pocket query the caches we have found show up.  I have my pocket query marked to exclude ones I have found yet for some strange they are being put into my query even tho I have it checked not to,  my Garmin Colorado does not do this.  Anybody have any ideas why the caches I have found are being collected into my query even tho I have it checked not to include those?  Yes, I have double and triple checked my query settings.  Never mind, we just realized it came preloaded with thousands of geocaches, just got to locate them in the unit to remove them I guess.

Edited by jwrker
45 minutes ago, jwrker said:

it came preloaded with thousands of geocaches, just got to locate them in the unit to remove them I guess.

Look in the folder "Garmin/GGZ" as well as "Garmin/GPX".

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/VtaaU06nPHAihnOIcMmXyA

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-GB/faq/content/D42qULRinb5KJpUUyhbj59?&rand=0.5423163361847401

Edited by kunarion

Ticks me off that Garmin Express will no longer recognize our Garmin Etrex Legend HCX Gps units, so you cannot download cache information directly from geocaching.com into your HCX.

BUT; you can download the caches from Geocaching.com into your HCX GPS by doing the following.

To download caches from the Geocaching map into your Garmin Etrex Legend HCX, use your computer. 

Make a GPX file on your computer.

Download each Geocache you want from the Geocaching.com website using "Download GPX" into the GPX folder you created on your computer. As many as you want.

Now, using Garmin BaseCamp (which you can download from garmin.com)

Import the GPX files from your computer GPX folder into the BaseCamp "My collection" you'll find under the "file" tab.

Plug your HCX GPS into your computer.

Once BaseCamp recognizes it, 

Select the BaseCamp "Device" tab

Select "Send to Device" > "Send 'My Collection' to Device

And it will send all the GPX files from 'My Collection" to your Garmin HXC GPS.

After the files are in your HCX, go back and delete them from the 'My Collection' tab so you can put new ones in there next time.

Edited by Ridgrunr
added a line

I usually download a fresh list from Groundspeak to my GPS and to Basecamp twice a month. I use Basecamp to plan caching runs, listing the GC codes on a 3x5 file card I keep in my caching bag. Its a bit annoying that all my finds are stored on my GPS but I can filter to not display on my Oregon 700. When I make a find and enter the log it just disappears.