Cachers who pass away

AeroMechAZ

Curiosity question:
When someone on Police/Fire departments passes away (or gets killed), they call it their "Last Call".  When an Amateur Radio operator passes, they call it "Silent Key" ("SK").  If someone in the Navy's Submarine Service passes, it's "Forever On Patrol".

What could we in Geocaching call it (being respectful, of course, no joking) when a Geocacher passes away?  I mention this because we in the northern AZ community recently lost a very nice person with some great caches, Gary Jones ("Burt_Gummer").

Again, respectful suggestions only.

26 minutes ago, The Leprechauns said:

I've had serious discussions with my daughter about my tombstone featuring an image of the "orange traffic cone" icon for Archive logs, with the following text:

[My Name]

Published:  [My Date of Birth]

Archived:  [My Date of Death]

"Now I'm a Virtual"

How interesting. Sounds like something I would Waymark. :D

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, AeroMechAZ said:

Curiosity question:
When someone on Police/Fire departments passes away (or gets killed), they call it their "Last Call".  When an Amateur Radio operator passes, they call it "Silent Key" ("SK").  If someone in the Navy's Submarine Service passes, it's "Forever On Patrol".

What could we in Geocaching call it (being respectful, of course, no joking) when a Geocacher passes away? 

Geocachers cache out. B)

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, AeroMechAZ said:

What could we in Geocaching call it (being respectful, of course, no joking) when a Geocacher passes away? 

The few cacher friends that passed had jokes at their funerals.  I didn't find it disrespectful at all.  That was how they were.  I hope folks have a good time when I'm outta here as well...

8 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

The few cacher friends that passed had jokes at their funerals.  I didn't find it disrespectful at all.  That was how they were.  I hope folks have a good time when I'm outta here as well...

OK, maybe I should rephrase my original a bit - the suggestions can be humorous, as long as they're respectful at the same time.

I feel few think about "end of life" terms for passing cachers since this hobby is so varied. The hobby's "played" differently with many and a term may be lost on them, unlike a professional organization.  The funerals I attended, only a couple even mentioned the hobby. Like Harry Dolphin, I've heard "end of the trail" mentioned for a bunch of hikers.   I had a couple "End of Watch" friends lost over the years ...

I said something once of a friend that hiked often with me, caching or not, that he "now has the best views". 

The best friend of the same person said, "Closest most here will come to logging ISS".  From the back, another said in their best Nuvi voice, "recalculating...".

9 hours ago, NLBokkie said:

One day I read that sentence 'Geocachers don't die, they get archived'. Personally I think that is a good and humorous phrase. But I leave it up to you if you find it respectfull enough.

Works for me.  As long as people don't log me as Needs Archived, anyway.  (I know I Need maintenance, but NA is a little too far.)

• Upvote 3
On 3/1/2018 at 2:56 PM, colleda said:

I'm at the NM stage. I hope I have longer than 30 days before NA.:(

Hang in there friend ... anyone using a Honda "Black Bomber"  (CB450) in my book is top notch.   I hit a "speed bump" a few years back and am back on the trails.

Fight on:  Don't want to be reading about your "Archival"

23 minutes ago, humboldt flier said:

Snnnoooorrrrttttttt:

This cacher has been archived but will viewable for a limited time at XXXXXXXXX from YYY to ZZZ prior to being re-hidden.

Drop by to sign the log

I had the tombstone in mind, but your version is more tasteful. :)

3 hours ago, NLBokkie said:

Hmmm. Another weird / morbid idea maybe. But have a TB added to the grave and put the TB code on the tombstone? The TB page can detail all the interesting details about the geocacher . . .

Could be a good way to have free hosting for a memorial web page :) rather than say a QR code leading a website. And it keeps it geocaching-themed.

4 hours ago, NLBokkie said:

Hmmm. Another weird / morbid idea maybe. But have a TB added to the grave and put the TB code on the tombstone? The TB page can detail all the interesting details about the geocacher . . .

I was thinking about similar being placed on a bench (don't like headstones).   But who would know to find it? 

Normally a trackable is spotted/found when placed in a cache, or presented while meeting someone on trail, or an event.  In this case, it'd have to be someone who bumped into it.  I'd think that a rarity. 

• Upvote 1
On 3/5/2018 at 4:45 PM, cerberus1 said:

I was thinking about similar being placed on a bench (don't like headstones).   But who would know to find it? 

Normally a trackable is spotted/found when placed in a cache, or presented while meeting someone on trail, or an event.  In this case, it'd have to be someone who bumped into it.  I'd think that a rarity. 

If you put it on a bench, it's even easier to make a plate with details and the text 'discover / track at geocaching.com'. That would make the trackable code immediately recognisable as such. And you can even add a QR code to make that page even easier to find for the not-initiated.

Edited by NLBokkie
Typo corrected
1 hour ago, NLBokkie said:

If you put it on a bench, it's even easier to make a plate with details and the text 'discover / track at geocaching.com'. That would make the trackable code immediately recognisable as such. And you can even add a QR code to make that page even easier to find for the not-initiated.

I understand that ...  putting it on something not the issue.

We were surprised to find that most we know don't realize there's such a thing as a trackables map, and I don't believe a trackable that's discover-only (not at a cache/event)  is even trackable by location anyway.  So they wouldn't be listed anywhere for someone to notice otherwise...  well, until it gets on one of those european mega code lists...     :)

Edited by cerberus1
   On 3/2/2018 at 9:05 AM,  briansnat said: 

Gone to the great lamp post in the sky.

I have bad news for you.  That lampskirt ain't heaven, quite the opposite...

Not typically, however, for some poor dog running a streak in the middle of winter with snow chest deep.

A LPC hide might be another definition of heaven.  Been there ... done that.  

Have a great day everyone