How to alarm when near a geocache with Garmin GPSMAP 64 (not proximity alarm)

speurvuur

Hi,

I used to own a GPSMAP60Csx which would give me a audable alarm when near a geocache (about 20meters or so).

Nowadays I own a GPSMAP64st which is about the same device but with me recent specs.
I'd like -just like on the 60Csx- to hear an alarm when I'm close to the geocache (or any destination that I'm navigating to if you will).
But as far as I could find the only option is to use the proximity alert. The problem with this is that you need to set this alarm to every geocache (or other destination) you want to navigate. So that is not an option for me.
I'm sure this was not the case on the 60Csx, I had somehow managed to have it make a sound whenever I got close to the destinations I was navigating to.

Does anyone know how to enable a alert sound as soon as you are near the destination you are navigating to?

Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, HHL said:

Yes, set Tones to ON. The unit automatically gives a beep shortly before reaching the target.

Hans

My tone setting was already set to on. And sound is working properly ( I can hear keypresses and I can also hear a beep when a route has finished calculating the route)

16 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

By the Garmin Help Center,  you can customize your tones for messages, keys, turn, etc., by setting the Tones ON (as HHL says), selecting a tone for each audible type if you'd like.

Most we know have the tone off, as the proximity alarm was thought of as merely a training tool for new folks,  knowing when to put the GPSr away and start looking.    :)

I understand, But I already have my Tone set to 'on' and I've set every notification type prior to posting this question, because I think that's all what should be involved:
Tone: set to on
Proximity Alarms set to 'on' and define for all proximity type alarms a sound.

12 minutes ago, speurvuur said:

I think I've found it.
I don't know why but 'lock on road' was set to 'yes' 

Somehow that seems to have this setting affted.

I need to do some tests to see if it worked.
Thanks for your help!

Yes. Lock on Road does affect alarms as you might never reach the cache (from the unit's point of view). The alarm is given appr. 10-15 meters before reaching the target (walking).

Hans

• Upvote 1

I think the alarm beeps when you are estimated 30 seconds from your destination according to your speed of travel. When I'm driving, the alarm will beep when I'm anywhere between .5 and .2 miles from the cache. When I'm walking, it's usually between 30 and 50 feet, which is about the 10-15 m that HHL gives.