Hello, is it me you're looking for?

Max and 99

5 hours ago, Team Microdot said:

Didn't your forum signature used to include a line about precise use of language?

Did precise mean making up word meanings as we go along? :P

Yep, and I'd still use the word I did in the context I did, which wasn't made up. Now clarity of language is different problem... :P

23 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Yep, and I'd still use the word I did in the context I did, which wasn't made up. Now clarity of language is different problem... :P

Let's see if I can help :ph34r:

Use right word = good

Use wrong word and attempt blame stupid language = bad

Anyway - in the spirit of mirth seeing as it's Friday - take a look at the cache that wanted me to go back and find it and see why the fact it was this particular cache made me chuckle. Read DNF's, Found's and notes for the full story.

Happy weekend :lol:

23 minutes ago, Team Microdot said:

Let's see if I can help :ph34r:

Use right word = good

Use wrong word and attempt blame stupid language = bad

Didn't help. Not a wrong word. Still stupid language. Light hearted comments and irony = chuckle (or not) and let it go.

---

Did anyone actually get more than one lonely ghost cache notification?  Or was everyone's email just based perhaps on the most recent DNF you posted?

ETA: n/m. OP said it wasn't the most recent dnf :P

Edited by thebruce0
1 hour ago, WingsAndTales said:

Silly, creepy and counter productive are the words that come to mind.  My local geocaching FB page has lots of people stating that they won't log DNFs after this.  People hate useless emails.

Too bad that mail was not sent under a different theme in the name of a cache they did find..

Edited by Rebore
1 hour ago, Gill & Tony said:
2 hours ago, Rebore said:

Too bad that mail was not sent under a different theme in the name of a cache they did find..

Yes, I would have enjoyed a Valentine from a cache I gave an FP.  Maybe one which hadn't been found for a while before my find, saying "Thanks for finding me"

Yeah that would have got a lot more positive press and warm fuzzy feelings :)

Except from people who would hate the waste of an extra email serving no purpose which they have to deal with. :mmraspberry:

Now what would have been a better idea is if they targeted a cache that we DNF'd but was later found. That might have made me consider a revisit.

IMHO it has the potential of a nice idea. I'm sure I'm not the only one who occasionally looks back at his DNF's and thinks, "Aha - it was missing and replaced." or "Huh - a couple more people have found it. Maybe I should go try again."

On 2/19/2018 at 2:41 AM, baer2006 said:
On 2/16/2018 at 0:50 PM, WingsAndTales said:

My local geocaching FB page has lots of people stating that they won't log DNFs after this.

+1 to the already long list of excuses for not logging DNFs :rolleyes:. It was one superfluous e-mail - not really a big deal.

Never underestimate the chaos that one unwelcome email can create.  Hundreds of posts have been dedicated to the devastating atomic chain reactions that these things can apparently touch off.

But, yeah, in reality, it's an email, and though apparently it could have been implemented better, a common sense read should lead most casual observers to conclude that Groundspeak is just trying something out to get folks to go back and try again. 

(Common sense will not of course deter anyone who wants to parse and over-analyze it.)

Edited by hzoi
On 2/16/2018 at 11:50 AM, WingsAndTales said:

Silly, creepy and counter productive are the words that come to mind.  My local geocaching FB page has lots of people stating that they won't log DNFs after this.  People hate useless emails.

Yet those same people won't stop logging finds, which also results in occasional unwanted emails from G$. 

Log them all, or log none.