Adding a Map of the cache page! BAD resolution

GPS-Hermit

How large are your files?  Are they specialized vector maps for a GPS device, or image files such as GIF or JPG?  How do you intend to use them on a cache page?

I uploaded a GIF map to a cache as a test, and it was resized to 1000x600.  Same thing with images in this Forum.  Remember that images tend to have resolution dropped, or size shrunk when site changes are made.

If you must use huge files that this site won't store, you may have to use another web site.  I did that for one of my caches.

Edited by kunarion
1 hour ago, kunarion said:

How large are your files?  Are they specialized vector maps for a GPS device, or image files such as GIF or JPG?  How do you intend to use them on a cache page?

I uploaded a GIF map to a cache as a test, and it was resized to 1000x600.  Same thing with images in this Forum.  Remember that images tend to have resolution dropped, or size shrunk when site changes are made.

If you must use huge files that this site won't store, you may have to use another web site.  I did that for one of my caches.

They can be JPG's but truely not huge - 1500 x 1100, 1200 x 900 etc - they are not usable after being downloaded from the Gallery! If one picture was allowed higher resolution just for the cache page only and not the Gallery it  would be really useful for maps of the cache area. Trails on my maps cannot be seen on regular maps even Google Earth!

I can convert to almost any format but I need it to print thin lines and text after downloading! No fuzzy maps!

Edited by GPS-Hermit
2 hours ago, GPS-Hermit said:

I have often wanted to add a Map to the cache page for the area showing trails not found on any other map! The resolution in the Gallery is NOT enough to show good detail! Are there any tricks to show a high res map without posting a link to another website! 

Remove the code "_l" from the image URL to get it in full resolution. See this example

Low resolution: https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/c052f145-56f3-4ac1-80dd-bec4767a1e30_l.jpg

Full resolution: https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/c052f145-56f3-4ac1-80dd-bec4767a1e30.jpg

Edited by arisoft

Two questions.

1. Could it be that the trails you mention are already on OpenStreetMap?  In spite of the name, OSM is becoming great for trails because everybody's recording GPS tracks and uploading them.  On the geocaching.com full-page map, you can switch over to the "Leaflet" side (a misnomer), then select any of the OpenStreetMap or Thunderforest options to see, hopefully, a great trail map - including caches.
  2. If you know of trails that aren't even on OSM, would you consider adding them?  (I find improving the map strangely addictive.)

BTW, the map called "Geocaching" is based on OSM but 2 years out of date, which is forever in map time.